By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

Cerebralbore101 said:

@curl-6 

I think we need to just be patient. So long as they announce at least two good games this year, I'm happy. 

All I want out of Nintendo is four exclusives scoring 80 or above on average per year. That and some good 3rd party support, but their 3rd party support is amazing with all the Indies, and AAA ports. So the real litmus test for me is the exclusives. So far they are very much on track...

BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Odyssey

Poke'mon Let's Go Evee
Torna
Smash Ultimate

Yoshi's Crafted World
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening Remake
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Poke'mon Sword/Shield

Animal Crossing New Horizons

So far for four years, they have four good exclusives per year on average. 2017 and 2019 were blowouts, while 2018 was kind of a slow year. I think 2020 might be a slow year too, but they should have SOMETHING! Even if they manage to just make two more good games this year, that'll put them at 4.5  good exclusives a year. 

For comparison's sake, Wii U was sitting at about 3.75 good exclusives a year, not counting the last minute BotW release. I'm also not counting 2012 or 2017 as full years for comparison's sake. If we added BotW, kept NSMBU (which is already counted), and tacked on 2012 and 2017, Wii U plummets to 2.6 good exclusives a year. Some people might consider that to be a more fair count, since 2017 was three months short for Switch. Also, I'm not counting Switch ports like Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, etc. So Switch looks even better if you like those games. 

I know not all the games listed above are going to be your cup of tea. I just hope they release something awesome for you this year, and soon!

It should be noted: 

2017 was not a full year since the switch released in March. 

2019 was a great year despite that the first game wasn't released until march. 

In 2018 you are missing super mario party....

Pokemon let's go and smash ultimate really are a hd remake and a port. I wouldn't consider them new games, but without them 2018 would look quite barren. I think 2020 is going to be an uneventful year in terms of releases. 

Animal crossing was actually supposed to be a 2019 release. Had it not been delayed 2020 would look particularly empty.  

Around the Network
Dyotropic said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

@curl-6 

I think we need to just be patient. So long as they announce at least two good games this year, I'm happy. 

All I want out of Nintendo is four exclusives scoring 80 or above on average per year. That and some good 3rd party support, but their 3rd party support is amazing with all the Indies, and AAA ports. So the real litmus test for me is the exclusives. So far they are very much on track...

BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Odyssey

Poke'mon Let's Go Evee
Torna
Smash Ultimate

Yoshi's Crafted World
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening Remake
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Poke'mon Sword/Shield

So far for four years, they have four good exclusives per year on average. 2017 and 2019 were blowouts, while 2018 was kind of a slow year. I think 2020 might be a slow year too, but they should have SOMETHING! Even if they manage to just make two more good games this year, that'll put them at 4.5  good exclusives a year. 

For comparison's sake, Wii U was sitting at about 3.75 good exclusives a year, not counting the last minute BotW release. I'm also not counting 2012 or 2017 as full years for comparison's sake. If we added BotW, kept NSMBU (which is already counted), and tacked on 2012 and 2017, Wii U plummets to 2.6 good exclusives a year. Some people might consider that to be a more fair count, since 2017 was three months short for Switch. Also, I'm not counting Switch ports like Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, etc. So Switch looks even better if you like those games. 

I know not all the games listed above are going to be your cup of tea. I just hope they release something awesome for you this year, and soon!

It should be noted: 

Pokemon let's go and smash ultimate really are a hd remake and a port. I wouldn't consider them new games, but without them 2018 would look quite barren. I think 2020 is going to be an uneventful year in terms of releases. 

Animal crossing was actually supposed to be a 2019 release. Had it not been delayed 2020 would look particularly empty.  

Nice to know that people are still on the “smash ultimate is a port” train

Dyotropic said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

@curl-6 

BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Odyssey

Poke'mon Let's Go Evee
Torna
Smash Ultimate

Yoshi's Crafted World
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening Remake
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Poke'mon Sword/Shield

It should be noted: 

I agree that 2017 was not a full year. See the bolded above. If we count a year as 365 days from launch date, we are only 19 days into Switch's fourth year. 

Super Mario Party did not get 80 or higher on any aggregate site. 

You really think Smash Ultimate is a port? Have you played it for any extensive amount of time? 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 March 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
Dyotropic said:

It should be noted: 

I agree that 2017 was not a full year. See the bolded above. If we count a year as 365 days from launch date, we are only 19 days into Switch's fourth year. 

You really think Smash Ultimate is a port? Have you played it for any extensive amount of time? 

Yes. I have played smash ultimate. The game feels almost the same to play as it did on the wiiu.

Same with captain toad. There are a few new levels, but it's still a port. 

There has to be a Direct this week. This is getting to be something else...

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

I'm super excited for the next direct tbh.

Maybe we'll get the announcement tomorrow and a direct the following day?

Dyotropic said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yes. I have played smash ultimate. The game feels almost the same to play as it did on the wiiu.

Same with captain toad. There are a few new levels, but it's still a port. 

What makes you feel like its a port?

Graphics?

Gameplay mechanics?

Modes?

Fighters?

I bet we will have remasters of older consoles and casual experiments this year.
Games that do not rely on building hype for months, and can be announced closer to the release date.
Something like wii sports or party, kid icarus uprising HD, WW or TP, pikmin HD, some mario remaster. A mid/big (mario party level) new game for holiday.

padib said:

Why is Curl's post so liked? It's just trashing Nintendo. This place is weird.

I say the slightest thing of worry about Sony, and I get disliked into the abyss.

Curl shits on Nintendo and gets 8 likes.

This place is ridiculous.

I don’t get it either. I really hope news come soon so this crazy unneeded negativity is gone 

Oh guys, the "likes" police is here