By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

VAMatt said:
KLXVER said:
Well if we disregard third parties, then both the PS4 and XB1 has had similar droughts. XB1 has probably had even worse ones.

Sure.  And people have been going on and on about the lack of games in XBone for years now.  "Probably " not having as  bad a drought as XB1 is not good enough.  

Yeah, I feel it's the system's biggest problem, it has a shortage of high quality original content.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good exclusives like Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2, but it needs more of them and less repackage old rope.

Around the Network

I am assuming that none of the complaining in this thread has any pending games to finish. I have a few. Either way, a Nintendo direct is coming soon.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, I feel it's the system's biggest problem, it has a shortage of high quality original content.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really good exclusives like Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Xenoblade 2, and Splatoon 2, but it needs more of them and less repackage old rope.

Don't forget Pokemon. Even if you don't count Let's Go, there is Sword and Shield. And now there is Animal Crossing, even if it isn't for me. 

I wasn't giving a comprehensive list, just a few examples, though to be honest I personally wouldn't call those games "high quality" but that's just me.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I wasn't giving a comprehensive list, just a few examples, though to be honest I personally wouldn't call those games "high quality" but that's just me.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pokemon games. Than again Pokemon Blue and Yellow are the only Pokemon games I ever played. 

And that's fair enough; to each their own.

I'll give them this, at least they are actual new games.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I wouldn't mind taking inspiration from the first one and build upon it. Like having an overworld that is similar to the first, but make it bigger and have more to find. I like the boss races as well. But when you had to go and do each race a second time to get all the coins I'd be okay leaving out. 

Inspiration is fine, I just want it to be an actual new game in the franchise, not just a remake.

One of my biggest pet peeves with Nintendo this gen is their over-reliance on re-releasing/remaking old games instead of making new entries.

I think the re-releases/remakes are necessary to fill in the gaps. It does not appear easy to develop HD games at a rapid pace. So small titles and ports add to the library. Third parties ported a plethora of games to Xbone/PS4 in their early years.

Plus, Nintendo has made games like Labo, Ring Fit, The Stretchers, and a collab with an indie developer to create Snipperclips.

Heres the list of original titles from Nintendo and its fellow studios/partners beyond EPD:

- BoTW + Expansion Pass

- 1-2 Switch

- Snipperclips

- ARMS

- Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion

- Fire Emblem Warriors (IS was involved likely as supervisor)

- Super Mario Odyssey

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Expansion Pass (Torna was basically a whole new game)

- Kirby Star Allies

- Nintendo Labo

- Sushi Striker

- Mario Tennis Aces

- Super Mario Party

- Pokemon Lets Go (don’t know if it counts as a remake or reimagining due to Poke Ball Plus)

- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate + 2 Fighters’ Pass

- Yoshi’s Crafted World

- Tetris 99 (ftp until it had a physical release)

- Super Kirby Clash (ftp)

- Super Mario Maker 2

- Fire Emblem Three Houses (mostly developed by KT, but IS likely had a hand in development) + Expansion Pass

- Astral Chain

- Luigi’s Mansion 3

- The Stretchers

- Ring Fit Adventure

- Pokemon Sword/Shield + Expansion Pass

- Animal Crossing New Horizons

Then you had games like Daemon x Machina, Octopath Traveler, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (no PC port) as console exclusives.

If you look at that and consider Nintendo was still developing/publishing 3DS titles (and not even add Link’s Awakening remake on Switch) until early 2019, that’s quite a bit of new titles. Sure I might’ve missed a few or artificially added a few, but it’s still a considerable amount from Nintendo’s circle.

It might either rival or surpass what Sony and Microsoft have done as developers/publishers in their first three years.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 21 March 2020

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
curl-6 said:

Inspiration is fine, I just want it to be an actual new game in the franchise, not just a remake.

One of my biggest pet peeves with Nintendo this gen is their over-reliance on re-releasing/remaking old games instead of making new entries.

I think the re-releases/remakes are necessary to fill in the gaps. It does not appear easy to develop HD games at a rapid pace. So small titles and ports add to the library. Third parties ported a plethora of games to Xbone/PS4 in their early years.

Plus, Nintendo has made games like Labo, Ring Fit, The Stretchers, and a collab with an indie developer to create Snipperclips.

Heres the list of original titles from Nintendo and its fellow studios/partners beyond EPD:

- BoTW + Expansion Pass

- 1-2 Switch

- Snipperclips

- ARMS

- Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion

- Fire Emblem Warriors (IS was involved likely as supervisor)

- Super Mario Odyssey

- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Expansion Pass (Torna was basically a whole new game)

- Kirby Star Allies

- Nintendo Labo

- Sushi Striker

- Mario Tennis Aces

- Super Mario Party

- Pokemon Lets Go (don’t know if it counts as a remake or reimagining due to Poke Ball Plus)

- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate + 2 Fighters’ Pass

- Yoshi’s Crafted World

- Tetris 99 (ftp until it had a physical release)

- Super Kirby Clash (ftp)

- Super Mario Maker 2

- Fire Emblem Three Houses (mostly developed by KT, but IS likely had a hand in development) + Expansion Pass

- Astral Chain

- Luigi’s Mansion 3

- The Stretchers

- Ring Fit Adventure

- Pokemon Sword/Shield + Expansion Pass

- Animal Crossing New Horizons

Then you had games like Daemon x Machina, Octopath Traveler, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (no PC port) as console exclusives.

If you look at that and consider Nintendo was still developing/publishing 3DS titles (and not even add Link’s Awakening remake on Switch) until early 2019, that’s quite a bit of new titles. Sure I might’ve missed a few or artificially added a few, but it’s still a considerable amount from Nintendo’s circle.

It might either rival or surpass what Sony and Microsoft have done as developers/publishers in their first three years.

Most of those are low budget and/or low quality though. I'm talking about major new titles of the quality Nintendo typically deliver in their flagship games.

Jumpin said:
victor83fernandes said:

Nothing new then, go check how it was with N64, gamecube, Wii, wiiU. 

I really do not understand how gamers can starve for games, I cant even keep up, I still have games from years ago to play, huge backlog, xbox, ps4, wiiU, switch, etc How come people manage to finish hundreds of games per year that they need more quick?

Unless someone only has a switch and nothing else, which I don't believe, no one is that dumb.

If next gen was cancelled, I would still have games for at least 3 or 4 years, and if I build a PC then I would have enough games for 10 years.

I have a Switch and no other console =)

But I also don’t need other consoles. I’m backlogged on the Switch alone thanks to the hordes of weekly sales.

Why are people getting so neurotic over what is essentially back to Nintendo status quo?

It’s not new. There were people here who thought Nintendo was definitely going to delay the Switch because of not enough time from the announcement to launch date.

Nintendo has been getting rid of overfeeding information. It really isn’t needed. It’s a myth that games need to be hyped over long periods of time. Goldeneye 007 didn’t get any pre-release hype, nor did the Just Dance games, look how they did.

But what’s worse is people deducing that games in development must be announced a long time in advance or they don’t exist.  Currently, several of Nintendo’s top-tier first party devs are 2.5 to 3.25 years into projects, do these freak out people think Nintendo’s just sitting on their hands? But outside of that, new games are getting release dates announced EVERY week, and the majority of them are launching within a month. Additionally, Switch has an extensive backlog and they’re putting dozens of new games on sale each week.

Stop with the neurotic paranoia!

Yeah, I've been noticing that the flow of news and updates from Nintendo has been gradually diminishing over the last few months, and I frankly don't mind it. Games get announced and then release in the next two or three months, that's cool. Only real shame is that there's certainly been a noticeable drought in the first semester of this year

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

"Nintendo gonna Nintendo"

After being a fan for like 3 decades, I really don't care about this stuff with Nintendo anymore or at least not in the way I used to. I like their games, so I'm going to buy whatever system they release that plays those games. I don't care if it's a Wii U or Switch or GameCube or whatever. I'm even getting to the point where I don't really care if some years they're not putting out much. What am I going to do? You can't get their IP on other systems.

I don't really expect anything from their release info at this point, when I buy their system I expect the laundry list of certain IP and that's about it. When it's ready I'll play it. If its not, fine. I have a PC and an XBox for that but I don't have that much time to play games these days anyway.

Nintendo's just like that weird friend you have that is always late, always doing wacky things, sometimes driving you crazy, they don't drive so you have to pick them up which is a pain in the ass, but you value the friendship because they are a fun friend to hang out with. At a certain point you just stop even caring about the weird eccentricities and come to expect them.

I'm not one to pedal conspiracy theories, but my guess is that like animal crossing most every game from nintendo currently in progress has suffered significant delay. The current situation with the virus has only made everything worse. I wouldn't be surprised if their next big game release isn't until September or later.

@curl-6 

I think we need to just be patient. So long as they announce at least two good games this year, I'm happy. 

All I want out of Nintendo is four exclusives scoring 80 or above on average per year. That and some good 3rd party support, but their 3rd party support is amazing with all the Indies, and AAA ports. So the real litmus test for me is the exclusives. So far they are very much on track...

BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario X Rabbids
Xenoblade 2
Odyssey

Poke'mon Let's Go Evee
Torna
Smash Ultimate

Yoshi's Crafted World
Astral Chain
Link's Awakening Remake
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Poke'mon Sword/Shield

Animal Crossing New Horizons

So far for four years, they have four good exclusives per year on average. 2017 and 2019 were blowouts, while 2018 was kind of a slow year. I think 2020 might be a slow year too, but they should have SOMETHING! Even if they manage to just make two more good games this year, that'll put them at 4.5  good exclusives a year. 

For comparison's sake, Wii U was sitting at about 3.75 good exclusives a year, not counting the last minute BotW release. I'm also not counting 2012 or 2017 as full years for comparison's sake. If we added BotW, kept NSMBU (which is already counted), and tacked on 2012 and 2017, Wii U plummets to 2.6 good exclusives a year. Some people might consider that to be a more fair count, since 2017 was three months short for Switch. Also, I'm not counting Switch ports like Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, etc. So Switch looks even better if you like those games. 

I know not all the games listed above are going to be your cup of tea. I just hope they release something awesome for you this year, and soon!