By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
Ljink96 said:

Okay...

So yeah, this was not the best way to introduce PS5 into the world but hey, this was meant for devs. I shouldn't have bought into the Twitter hype. 

Playsation shouldn't have marketed it on their twitter platform

Around the Network

That was strange for a "first" impression

Surprised by the specs. Also the variable clock speeds. Who knows what actual performance will be of the games are demanding.

This stream was a disaster. Now I know which one not to buy.

I'm sorry Sony, but this wasn't good at all.

Nate4Drake said:
JRPGfan said:
Good explaination of why they choose fewer CU running faster, instead of more running slower speeds.
I didnt know there was additional gains, other than the chip size ones.

I was thinking the same.  

I thought it's pretty obvious for everyone that a faster clock runs everything faster in a gpu....

We will see how this turns out looking at the games.

MS: Low clock, wide cu count vs Sony: Fast clock, small cu count. ("Low" and "Fast" relatively speaking).

Cerny did not mention anything about Raytracing hardware implementation (neither did MS). Everyone is expecting Ray Tracing to be "the next big thing" in games.

Generally said, there are things a gpu is very good at, not so good at, and bad at. Ray tracing is a thing a gpu is very, very, very bad at. A fast clock helps alot here. My initial guess is, looking at the numbers, XSX games might look a little better when RT is not used heavily, while PS5 games might look a little better the more RT is applied. Time will tell.

Around the Network

within 20% difference between the "Tflop" count, with a lot less CUs at a higher frequency. So price may be a lot smaller and the lost performance may not be that visible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Xbox Series X: 2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed)
PlayStation 5: 5.5GB/s (Raw), 8-9GB/s (Compressed)

That's all i need to know. Holy Shit Sony, this SSD is freakin monster.

dharh said:
JRPGfan said:
Cerny just mentioned 10,3 Tflops for the GPU... so yep PS4 is slower than Xbox Series X.

Assuming 1 PS5 tflop = 1 XBSX tflop.

Shhhh, Tflops means everything to people.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Be interesting to see how Sony going double the speed on the SSD compared to XSX will play out.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

Differnce between 10,3 and 12 Tflops isnt that huge, If Playstation 5 is like 86% as fast as Series X, differnce in graphics wont be that big.
If they can reach 10+ Tflops useing like a 45% smaller chip thats cheaper..... thats a huge win.

Note that it says the PS5 has variable frequency for both it's CPU and GPU. Means that the 10 tflop figure is from boost clocks, it will fall below that some times, depending on how hot the system is getting. MS said they aren't using boost clocks for either their CPU or GPU, they said that was intentional because they wanted everybody to have the same experience, instead of those playing in hotter rooms and such having their speed throttled thanks to boost clock usage. 

You are wrong. They said the system can always run in boost mode. It will drop frequency if the game in question doesn't require that power.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."