By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 GDC Reveal and PS5 specs/performance Digital Foundry Video analysis : 3.5 Ghz 8 core Zen 2 CPU along with 10.3 TF RDNA 2 RT capable and 16GB GDDR6 RAM and also super crazy fast 5.5 GB/Second S

How do you feel

My brain become bigger su... 21 30.00%

I am wet 6 8.57%

What did he talked about??? 5 7.14%

I want some more info 9 12.86%

Total:41
DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

Note that it says the PS5 has variable frequency for both it's CPU and GPU. Means that the 10 tflop figure is from boost clocks, it will fall below that some times, depending on how hot the system is getting. MS said they aren't using boost clocks for either their CPU or GPU, they said that was intentional because they wanted everybody to have the same experience, instead of those playing in hotter rooms and such having their speed throttled thanks to boost clock usage. 

You are wrong. They said the system can always run in boost mode. It will drop frequency if the game in question doesn't require that power.

Yep. It's 'base' is technically it's highest boost that's what they designed the entire system around. 

It's different from laptop manufacturers who will design for base spec and boost up if needed to but intel chips will not boost for 3 hours straight. Whereas AMD chips do do that, and Sony took the opportunity to take advantage of this and plan for a boost 24/7 scenario. Very smart approach and best for everyone. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Oh, so this wasn't the actual reveal. I wish I had figured that one out sooner.

So... only PS4 backwards compatibility. Well, I guess that settles it. Series X it is.

Also, they shouldn't have advertised this for everyone. This was so technical and so boring... what they were thinking?

Vodacixi said:
So... only PS4 backwards compatibility. Well, I guess that settles it. Series X it is.

Also, they shouldn't have advertised this for everyone. This was so technical and so boring... what they were thinking?

They were probably thinking this is a conference for developers so they should center it around that. 

I must say I do prefer the expandable storage storage on Xbox Series X more. I prefer to spend a bit more on made to fit accessories and the XSX memory cards look sleek and take the hassle out of deciding what storage to get (hopefully sony produce a memory card of their own)

Around the Network

So the Github leak 36cus at 2GHz was correct (hot lab demo?)

Vodacixi said:

Just to be clear, PS5 will have PS4 backwards compat at a hardware mode level.  Whereas pretty sure the xbox plan is BC at the software emulation level.

Was anyone seriously thinking BC beyond previous gen, like seriously?

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Vodacixi said:

Yeah bad marketing from Sony. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Launch model specs look like they should allow Sony to keep costs under control while at the same time delivering the big performance boost from previous gen most gamers expect. Both MS and Sony vaguely focusing on RT, makes me think that AI instead will remain mostly optional and niche next gen too. Understandable, as to make it definitively mainstream, the necessary HW should become standard equipment and enjoyable by most gamers, and this will require HW good enough to make almost nobody sick even on long gaming session, and also input methods allowing free roaming and a large range of actions in an open virtual world, and as natural and quick to learn as possible, to become very affordable.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Some cool tech and promising SSD features, awesome news that SSD expansion will not be proprietary, but gotta be honest here, quite disappointed by the CU count. It's a mass market machine, I think it kind of confirms the $400 price tag, but I'm an enthusiast. I probably shouldn't hold out hope for a "pro" version at the start in a premium price, but I'd really prefer having that option than not having it.

Overall I'm still hyped to see the games running on it, so let's see what's next.