By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony World Wide Studio Boss Hermen Hulst Q&A - Confirms Horizon Zero Dawn Coming To PC This Summer

Stellar_Fungk said:
I don’t know, man. First party console games should stick to their respective console. If I wanna play Sony games I buy a PS4. HZD was made with that console in mind.

What if Nintendo games release on PC. Oh the horror.

I think exclusivity will die this generation and Microsoft started it :(

Games being locked behind one platform limits choices. HZD was made for PS4 in mind, but that only hurt the game since they had to make it for a weak system. With it on PC we can finally play it at 60fps. 

Also Sega technically did PC ports first for console manufacturers. In the 90s they ported their Genesis and Saturn games to PC.

Around the Network

Good for everyone. Certainly the most wanted PS4 game for me that I could not play so far. Hopefully we'll see TLOU2 as well.

I bought a PS4 and Pro this gen but I got almost nothing out of it because at some point I developed standards.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

victor83fernandes said:
0D0 said:

In the terribly remote case Sony stops selling consoles, I would have to stop gaming. I don't see myself buying a gaming PC. Hopefully Sega will bring back their console business and Sony would be able to release their games on Sega. How wonderful would that be?

Why? PC is just a console with a lot more customization. If you look at the series X you are basically looking at a PC, no more no less. You can get almost any wireless controller to work on PC, my dualshock works, xbox one controller works, xbox elite works, ps4 pro controllers works, etc And then you get keyboard and mouse for strategy/management games.

I cant see how someone thinks this is bad. People need a computer anyway to organize their media and do some work.

Free online, cheaper games, backwards compatible with games from decades ago, you have more than 20x the amount of games that the ps5 would have.

Sega will never be back to console, because no one would buy one, who in their own mind would invest money into a sega when Sony and Microsoft have the console market on lockdown? A sega would just be another google stadia.

Of course Sega wouldn't. No need to reply that.

Now, I have a Mac laptop, I browse and I do some work. Can I run current gen games on it? - No.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Azzanation said:

Xbox is on the surge upwards, your lack of respect for the PS5s competitor is exactly what happen when the PS3 launched against the 360.

What the fuck are you talking about?

The XBox consoles came from a 80M userbase to now what? Not even 50M.

How is it on the surge upwards, when they lost such a huge userbase gen on gen? You’ll bring up their Pc presence? Anything else to spin it in favour of XBox over PS?

Will you ever write something fair and objective on the subject? Even if only once. 

Quit the opaque bias for a bit, and write something that isn’t so unreasonably clouded by horse blinders, where you feel the incessant urge to defend any and all thing if pitted against Sony, and with shallow reasoning and arguments at best.

Last edited by Hynad - on 12 March 2020

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Xbox is on the surge upwards, your lack of respect for the PS5s competitor is exactly what happen when the PS3 launched against the 360.

What the fuck are you talking about?

The XBox consoles came from a 80M userbase to now what? Not even 50M.

How is it on the surge upwards, when they lost such a huge userbase gen on gen? You’ll bring up their Pc presence? Anything else to spin it in favour of XBox over PS?

Will you ever write something fair and objective on the subject? Even if only once. 

Quit the opaque bias for a bit, and write something that isn’t so unreasonably clouded by horse blinders, where you feel the incessant urge to defend any and all thing if pitted against Sony, and with shallow reasoning and arguments at best.

Clearly he meant the good PR Xbox has been building the last 2 years. BC support, Xbox X, day one 1st party games on Game Pass, an increased PC presence with a redesigned MS store and deals with Steam. Pretty much unifying both platforms with cross save and Game Pass for Pc.

The studio spending spree MS has been on (with more rumoured)....that’s what he meant. And while Sony chooses to be silent MS has dominated the gaming news since the VGAs in December with Series X unveiling with a clear focus on core gaming and new game announcements (new Ips too as requested by community) like Hellblade 2, Grounded, Project Mara, Everwild. 

They have their shit together now, anybody can do simple math to see they lost gen over gen. So clearly you must consider what else he could mean. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Stellar_Fungk said:
I don’t know, man. First party console games should stick to their respective console. If I wanna play Sony games I buy a PS4. HZD was made with that console in mind.

See from a certain perspective I see Sony’s principles eroding slowly by hand selecting certain games to go on PC. If this pace increases people could eventually refrain from getting a PS if they have a good PC because they will simply wait Sony out. This will take years mind you. 

Nintendo won’t release on the competition, but plenty of their IPs have showed up on mobile. Nintendo is doing it right imo. 

MS simply expanded what their exclusivity is. They finally realized they have a PC OS monopoly with their own dedicated Windows Store with every gaming PC. I’m glad they finally leveraged it to bring in more Pc gamers with Game Pass and deals with Steam. PC gamers are independent by nature...they pride themselves on not waving the corporate flag like console gamers do. Yet they boot up their Microsoft Windows pc every time they wanna play a game. 

I say MS didn’t break their principles like Sony did. Their games are still exclusive to the MS ecosystem. They just finally took their PC business seriously from a gaming standpoint. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Azzanation said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It's true that consoles cost money to make and research. My estimate was an extreme lowball though. There's easily enough wiggle room in those numbers to make R&D costs and production costs disappear. 

Competition increasing? From what? Streaming? Stadia and the like are the 3D0 and Jaguar of the 2020's. 

Yes, less console sales hurts shareholders. 

As far as mainline home consoles go Nintendo has a pretty good track record for messing up. N64, Gamecube, and Wii U were all failures. NES, SNES, and Wii were successes. It's no surprise that a company that had two console sales failures (N64 and GC), followed by a huge hit (Wii), would drop back to low sales a gen later. So I wouldn't attribute that to luck. 

Xbox did indeed slip up, but Sony definitely handled this gen well. They made all the right decisions. Sony's excellent studios, good gameplay focused hardware, and consumer friendly stance took the market just as much as Xbox gave it away. 

I don't think Xbox will have a resurgence at all. They face a Sony that is coming off a PS4 high note, and horrible sales of the XB1 this late in the gen. If it does though, that would be a result of Sony throwing all their exclusives onto other platforms, and basically giving up on the strength of their brand. Even then though, I don't see Xbox ever passing 65 million lifetime sales ever again. 

Sony is basically Nintendo, but with full blown 3rd party support. They've raised their 1st party content up to Nintendo's level, while still getting pretty much every 3rd party AAA game. And remember there's way more money to be lost by abandoning their brand, than there is from a few extra PC sales. 

What Sony really needs to do is focus on improving the PS brand, while making PSNow a serious competitor to gamepass. That way when streaming eventually takes over, in ten years, they can dominate the streaming market as much as they dominated the console market. Instead, they seem hellbent on pulling a MS, and becoming a 3rd party developer that just happens to have a console on the side. 

The PS2 is considered the best selling console in history yet the 360 came out and halved Sonys Userbase.

The Wii was Nintendos best selling home console followed by there weakest selling in the WiiU.

Just because the PS4 sold so well doesnt mean its an autosuccess for the PS5. Those two points above prove my point.

The console market is only so big, gamers will have more choices not less. The PS4 did not kill off its competition, it only created it.

src said:

Completely wrong. Having exclusives is the reason PS1/2 was dominating, is the reason the PS3 was able to gain traction and why the PS4 remains dominant. 

Exclusives -> larger userbase -> larger platform software sales -> larger sub counts -> more money to invest into exclusives and such

Larger Userbase increases by increasing your audience not reducing it.

WiiU, Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast all had exclusives, what happened there?

The 360 halved Sony's userbase?

https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

157 million divided by two does not equal 87 million.

Let's not forget several facts regarding PS2. 

1. It had amazing legs. Just look at these post 2006 shipment numbers! https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161654/scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

2. The consoles it competed against were all from either companies new to the console business (Microsoft), or trying to recover from a serious last gen decline (Sega/Nintendo).

3. Being a cheap DVD player helped drive sales. The DVD format was a revolutionary improvement over VHS. Nearly everybody wanted a DVD player, and PS2 was a DVD player that could also play games. It cost the same or less as other DVD players of the early 2000s. 

The writing was on the wall for the Wii U's failure. The two consoles before the Wii sold 32 Million, and 22 Million. Sony on the other hand handily won three generations, and effectively tied for 2nd place vs a 360 with a 50% failure rate on it's initial model. https://consumerist.com/2009/08/17/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds/

So up until 2009 or whenever the slim came out there was a massive failure rate, causing people to buy 2nd, 3rd, and 4th 360's. I went through three of the things, and didn't even bother getting a PS3 until 2008!

We could easily attribute 10 million in 360 sales to RROD. That puts the adjusted count at 87 million PS3's vs 75 Million 360's. 

Now let's remember that 360 had a full year's launch ahead of PS3. So adjust another 4-5 million downward. 

XB1 sales have been in the 40,000 to 50,000 range in weekly sales for the past 8-10 months. That's not a surge upwards. That's a precipitous decline. Perhaps you meant surge upwards in some hazy, non-objective, marketing terms? In that case, the color black is more appealing to me personally, than the color green, therefore Xbox Series X will clearly lose the battle, based solely on my personal non-objective preferences. Good argument isn't it? (Hint: It's not.)

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 12 March 2020

sales2099 said:
Stellar_Fungk said:

See from a certain perspective I see Sony’s principles eroding slowly by hand selecting certain games to go on PC. If this pace increases people could eventually refrain from getting a PS if they have a good PC because they will simply wait Sony out. This will take years mind you. 

Steam users have massive backlogs. They will happily wait until a game launches on Steam, rather than get a PS5. People that think Sony is just chumming the waters to lure PC-Only types over to PS5 with HZD2, don't understand PC-Only types. :D

People still defend Xbox? Weird.

Primarily as a PC gamer myself, I bought a PS4 to play the exclusives. Sony didn't get a dime from me for any 3rd party games on PS4 or PS Plus (because the exclusives are mostly all single player anyway).

Why would I play 3rd party games on a slower PS4 if I can get better performance on my more powerful PC? (unless the PC port is total crap).