By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony World Wide Studio Boss Hermen Hulst Q&A - Confirms Horizon Zero Dawn Coming To PC This Summer

I suppose this means I'm becoming a PC only gamer.

Really weird choice by Sony.

Around the Network
last92 said:

One game and people explode.

twintail said:

No one goes to buy a DVD without knowing that they have a DVD player. Are you calling bluray anti-consumer because someone went to the store expecting it to work on their non-bluray player?

So is diesel not consumer-friendly because my car only takes petrol? Buying a song off iTunes and not having it work on Spotify? Smasung Pay is anti-consumer because it can only be used on Samsung devices?

Consumer-friendly means that a product/ service benefits the consumer who has bought the product. Did you buy an X1 expecting to play PS4 games? Because that would mean you were misinformed about your purchase, not that the X1 is now magically not consumer-friendly. As long as your console is benefiting you in the ways that it should (ie, good hardware, software variety)  then they device is consumer-friendly.

A product not being able to do something that it was not designed to is not anti-consumer. You are buying an X1 to play X1 games. An X1 game that happens to be exclusive is not to the detriment of an X1 user. Mario is not suddenly not consumer friendly because it only works on a Switch. It is consumer friendly because it is benefiting the very people who own a switch are are buying the game. 

What about multiplatform games? I own a PS4 but I really like the boxing for the Switch edition. So, now this multiplatform, non-exclusive, game is suddenly anti-consumer because I can't own any version of the game? Because the Switch cart doesn't work on my PS4?

You buy a console/ subscribe to a service knowing very well what it can and can't do. No one has Netflix expecting Hulu and Apple to put brand new content onto it. But does Netflix provide an enjoyable experience with content you enjoy watching? Then it is consumer-friendly.  

I can't speak for GeForce Now, except that it has a paid subscription option and I have no idea how publishers are monetised by Nvidia to allow their content onto the service.

As far as I am concerned, you don't know what anti-consumer is, except that is is some buzzword you can throw around to show your disdain for something you don't like, and not because said dislike actually provides a detriment to the very consumer it is intended for. 

There is a big difference between comparing DvDs, Blu-Rays, Diesel and iTunes to devices that purposely lock out others to force someone into buying something else.

Just because you have accepted the fact you need a PS to play PS games or a Xbox to play Xbox games doesn't mean it is consumer friendly. The fact a PS4 and a XB1 are both Blu-Ray players and both cannot run other companies software goes to show how the gaming industry has the consumers by the balls. It doesn't matter what Blu-Ray player you own at home, it will play any Blu-Ray movie disk, it doesn't matter what Diesel car you own, all diesel fuels work on Diesel cars (With exceptions) like petrol will work in petrol cars etc. Imagine a world where one gas company has petrol that wont work on your car because you didn't buy the car from there service station. That's the mind set you have with the console market and you think that's okay.

The understanding on a Blu-Ray disk not working in a DvD drive has to do with the advance technology nothing to do with the company locking it out on purpose because they want you to purchase there devices instead. 

Here you are saying I don't have the correct understanding on the anti-consumer subject yet you are comparing DvD players which can read all DvD disks and cannot read Blu-Ray disks and say its the same reason a PS4 and XB1 which are both Blu-Ray players cannot read each others Blu-Ray disks. No and No. I just know how companies work and I know that they want us to spend massive amounts of money on there hardware because they can, and that majority of the console community have accepted that. Does not make it right. Its the same thing why companies are opting out from Nvidia Now because all companies are greedy and want a slice of streaming pie.

Steam works on any PC and its free, you don't need to invest in types of hardware to run Steam yet it allows any PC gamer access to basically the same 3rd party games without costing the customer $$$ which is left as an option for the customers. PS4 owners are forced to buy a PS5 because they will lose support very soon from Sony as they move onto there next big money maker and those past consumers become forgotten. Same for Nintendo and Xbox consumers as well. With Steam, the customer is never forgotten because the accounts continue to carry on and doesn't force customers to change. If you want to play Doom Eternal at 12 fps at 720p, sure you can, that's up to the customer. Do you want to play the next instalment of God of War? You will need a PS5 no questions about it, give them money. 

I will agree on one thing and that's 1st party content is an exception but when companies start pushing 3rd parties to lock games away from others like Tomb Raider, Shenmue 3, Street Fighter 5 and FF7 Remake etc this is anti-consumer and its all because companies want to have there own hardware to sell. If Hardware didn't exist the way it does than everyone will be playing games on everything which is the correct consumer friendly way. Though that will never happen.

Random_Matt said:
last92 said:

One game is all it takes to set an important precedent.

Rumors about ND games coming to PC, as well as previous comments by Cory Barlog regarding GoW, strongly suggest that many PS games will come to PC. I'm not exploding. I'm just making informed decisions based on available information. PS exclusives were literally the only reason why a have a PS4.

src said: 
Azzanation said:

Since when did Death Stranding and UC4 win GOTY?

The Game Awards say otherwise.

Game awards are one award. https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/?m=1 compiles many just like we use metacritic/opencritic. 

Mate, Video game awards are a joke, there are over 200+ GOTY awards given out every year and many are worthless. Some are even given out from internal studio's official magazines which are heavily bias. 

You have to find the right sites to determine which is worth an award and which isn't. For example, UC4 won plenty of GOTY awards, but from who? Overwatch won majority of the main important GOTY awards from my understanding hence why it was the GOTY that year by the main critics. Death Stranding I haven't even heard of it winning any GOTY awards however not saying it didn't, but so did a lot of other games as well. GOTY awards at least by my standards is based on the quality of the award not the quantity. Because from what iv seen, there is too much crap awards given away. 

So basically it all comes down to your own opinion on what you think is GOTY as anyone can pluck a GOTY award from some random site and claim that's the best game that year.

Around the Network
last92 said:
Random_Matt said:

One game is all it takes to set an important precedent.

Rumors about ND games coming to PC, as well as previous comments by Cory Barlog regarding GoW, strongly suggest that many PS games will come to PC. I'm not exploding. I'm just making informed decisions based on available information. PS exclusives were literally the only reason why a have a PS4.

I’m confused why you would want to wait 3 years for a game though 

MasonADC said:

I’m confused why you would want to wait 3 years for a game though 

It's not that I want to wait. I can wait. There are many good games I can play while I wait.

Azzanation said:
twintail said:

No one goes to buy a DVD without knowing that they have a DVD player. Are you calling bluray anti-consumer because someone went to the store expecting it to work on their non-bluray player?

So is diesel not consumer-friendly because my car only takes petrol? Buying a song off iTunes and not having it work on Spotify? Smasung Pay is anti-consumer because it can only be used on Samsung devices?

Consumer-friendly means that a product/ service benefits the consumer who has bought the product. Did you buy an X1 expecting to play PS4 games? Because that would mean you were misinformed about your purchase, not that the X1 is now magically not consumer-friendly. As long as your console is benefiting you in the ways that it should (ie, good hardware, software variety)  then they device is consumer-friendly.

A product not being able to do something that it was not designed to is not anti-consumer. You are buying an X1 to play X1 games. An X1 game that happens to be exclusive is not to the detriment of an X1 user. Mario is not suddenly not consumer friendly because it only works on a Switch. It is consumer friendly because it is benefiting the very people who own a switch are are buying the game. 

What about multiplatform games? I own a PS4 but I really like the boxing for the Switch edition. So, now this multiplatform, non-exclusive, game is suddenly anti-consumer because I can't own any version of the game? Because the Switch cart doesn't work on my PS4?

You buy a console/ subscribe to a service knowing very well what it can and can't do. No one has Netflix expecting Hulu and Apple to put brand new content onto it. But does Netflix provide an enjoyable experience with content you enjoy watching? Then it is consumer-friendly.  

I can't speak for GeForce Now, except that it has a paid subscription option and I have no idea how publishers are monetised by Nvidia to allow their content onto the service.

As far as I am concerned, you don't know what anti-consumer is, except that is is some buzzword you can throw around to show your disdain for something you don't like, and not because said dislike actually provides a detriment to the very consumer it is intended for. 

There is a big difference between comparing DvDs, Blu-Rays, Diesel and iTunes to devices that purposely lock out others to force someone into buying something else.

Just because you have accepted the fact you need a PS to play PS games or a Xbox to play Xbox games doesn't mean it is consumer friendly. The fact a PS4 and a XB1 are both Blu-Ray players and both cannot run other companies software goes to show how the gaming industry has the consumers by the balls. It doesn't matter what Blu-Ray player you own at home, it will play any Blu-Ray movie disk, it doesn't matter what Diesel car you own, all diesel fuels work on Diesel cars (With exceptions) like petrol will work in petrol cars etc. Imagine a world where one gas company has petrol that wont work on your car because you didn't buy the car from there service station. That's the mind set you have with the console market and you think that's okay.

The understanding on a Blu-Ray disk not working in a DvD drive has to do with the advance technology nothing to do with the company locking it out on purpose because they want you to purchase there devices instead. 

Here you are saying I don't have the correct understanding on the anti-consumer subject yet you are comparing DvD players which can read all DvD disks and cannot read Blu-Ray disks and say its the same reason a PS4 and XB1 which are both Blu-Ray players cannot read each others Blu-Ray disks. No and No. I just know how companies work and I know that they want us to spend massive amounts of money on there hardware because they can, and that majority of the console community have accepted that. Does not make it right. Its the same thing why companies are opting out from Nvidia Now because all companies are greedy and want a slice of streaming pie.

Steam works on any PC and its free, you don't need to invest in types of hardware to run Steam yet it allows any PC gamer access to basically the same 3rd party games without costing the customer $$$ which is left as an option for the customers. PS4 owners are forced to buy a PS5 because they will lose support very soon from Sony as they move onto there next big money maker and those past consumers become forgotten. Same for Nintendo and Xbox consumers as well. With Steam, the customer is never forgotten because the accounts continue to carry on and doesn't force customers to change. If you want to play Doom Eternal at 12 fps at 720p, sure you can, that's up to the customer. Do you want to play the next instalment of God of War? You will need a PS5 no questions about it, give them money. 

I will agree on one thing and that's 1st party content is an exception but when companies start pushing 3rd parties to lock games away from others like Tomb Raider, Shenmue 3, Street Fighter 5 and FF7 Remake etc this is anti-consumer and its all because companies want to have there own hardware to sell. If Hardware didn't exist the way it does than everyone will be playing games on everything which is the correct consumer friendly way. Though that will never happen.

Is there are a big difference? When the usual anti-consumer whiner comparing videogames to other media (books, movies) differences are categorically ignored, thinking what goes for one can be applied 1:1 to the other. Now all over sudden you notice something. Ya, right.

Hunting Season is done...

Let me get this straight, Xbox is on the surge because after losing 40% of their userbase they are preparing for a new gen and will "sell much better because of reasons"?

And I also got that GOTY awards should be counted by the ones you agree or not so you can shift which game was the GOTY winner for the year. Even though you consider awards are useless and metacritic doesn't matter.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 13 March 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

last92 said:

Your post made my day. With any luck Sony will continue to add games to PC. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.