By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final fantasy 7 remake demo is out now!

StreaK said:
Otter said:

Restored my faith in Square Enix in 1h30mins.

And that's not nostalgia speaking, its simply an amazingly polished demo. Pacing, visuals, music, gameplay, storytelling... Everything hits the right notes. So refreshing after the mess that was FFXV.

And it serves as a reminder, it really is ok to make some things linear or to have the world broken into sections. It's clearly helped this game achieve a level of visual fidelity few PS4 games has and helped the pacing. Makes me wonder if we really need PS5 this fall.

I loved the demo but after a few play throughs now, I'm starting to think the pacing was excellent until you reach the scorpion fight. Is it me or does it take just waaaay too much effort to take it down? I mean, it's overkill. What should take no more than 5-10 min is taking like 15-20 minutes. The battle was great the first time as I was just blown away by everything that was presented but now, I feel this fight just drags on and I hope it's not what to expect with other even more demanding battles.

It could have been shorter but I didn't find its length an issue, especially since it was the first time I was actually in danger and that kept me on my toes. If it wasn't a demo you wouldn't be fighting it multiple times (unless you keep dying)

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
So i just downloaded , and listening to the intro song, I am crying. a 36 Years old crying . This so warming

FF7 was the first game that made me weep.
When a *certain* character dies, it hit the then teen me, hard.... right in the feels.

StreaK said:
Otter said:

And that's not nostalgia speaking, its simply an amazingly polished demo. Pacing, visuals, music, gameplay, storytelling... Everything hits the right notes. So refreshing after the mess that was FFXV.

And it serves as a reminder, it really is ok to make some things linear or to have the world broken into sections. It's clearly helped this game achieve a level of visual fidelity few PS4 games has and helped the pacing. Makes me wonder if we really need PS5 this fall.

I loved the demo but after a few play throughs now, I'm starting to think the pacing was excellent until you reach the scorpion fight. Is it me or does it take just waaaay too much effort to take it down? I mean, it's overkill. What should take no more than 5-10 min is taking like 15-20 minutes. The battle was great the first time as I was just blown away by everything that was presented but now, I feel this fight just drags on and I hope it's not what to expect with other even more demanding battles.

Agreed 100%.  The fight was far too long.  Having said that, perhaps because it was a demo the fight was made longer than what it would be in the final game, so gamers could get an idea on the battle system.  I hope so, I don't like overly long fights.  

StreaK said:

Yep, I gotta say....they still made him depressive. I never got that from him in the original. I agree, those sighs are becoming annoying. He comes across as "weak"-minded.

Now imagine 40 hours of it. Plus the small quips they made after each battle too. No battle music but small quips instead. :P

Cloud in the original was very confident, powerful, knew his capabilities and gave answers you'd expect. Knew what he wanted but was silent, got the job done. In this, he seemed to get phased by the simplest of questions and did that weird air shock sigh thing, about 4 or 5 times. Jessie even did it twice. In response to Jessie's question I feel old Cloud would just answer "Yes" and leave it at that and Jessie would have to get more info from him, not a weird stutter. But alas.

Hmm, pie.

Vodacixi said:
Otter said:

And wouldn't be better if the AI party members actually did something other than just filling an ATB bar with mindless attacks, often towards enemies that they can't reach? I don't know, I think this system could have been implemented a lot better by just having a better AI for party members. If their only purpose is to fill the ATB bar and they are only truly useful once you take control over them... I think a different approach for the battle system would have suited the game better, one were you take a more direct control over everyone. Maybe classic mode should have been the main mode.

Or you know... maybe they just should have done a decent AI for party members. Is not that complicated. Kingdom Hearts did it back in 2002. We are in 2020. If Barret is supposed to shoot at the flying enemies that Cloud cannot reach, the AI should just do that. If Cloud is dying and I'm controlling Barret, I think Cloud should be smart enough to heal itself from time to time. If they don't do any of this, it feels like I'm surrounded by mindless idiots.

Since people already explained why, my answer is just no.

Then you would go to the FF XV problem.While not nerly to that extend, but the game would play itself to some extent, and would take away the fun of the game.Once you fill the ATB, you don't have to take control over them.Just "freeze" time and issue a command to them(magic, ability, the ones that actually deal damage) and get back to the action.

This is the best decision the devs made.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
StreaK said:
Otter said:

For me, it's the opposite.Boss fights should be long, because they should feel like a struggle.Kind of tired of boss fights feeling like just a buffed up regular enemy.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
Vodacixi said:

And wouldn't be better if the AI party members actually did something other than just filling an ATB bar with mindless attacks, often towards enemies that they can't reach? I don't know, I think this system could have been implemented a lot better by just having a better AI for party members. If their only purpose is to fill the ATB bar and they are only truly useful once you take control over them... I think a different approach for the battle system would have suited the game better, one were you take a more direct control over everyone. Maybe classic mode should have been the main mode.

Or you know... maybe they just should have done a decent AI for party members. Is not that complicated. Kingdom Hearts did it back in 2002. We are in 2020. If Barret is supposed to shoot at the flying enemies that Cloud cannot reach, the AI should just do that. If Cloud is dying and I'm controlling Barret, I think Cloud should be smart enough to heal itself from time to time. If they don't do any of this, it feels like I'm surrounded by mindless idiots.

Then you would go to the FF XV problem.While not nerly to that extend, but the game would play itself to some extent, and would take away the fun of the game.Once you fill the ATB, you don't have to take control over them.Just "freeze" time and issue a command to them(magic, ability, the ones that actually deal damage) and get back to the action.

Thing is both could have been done.  FFXII accomplished this feat 14 years ago.  I still think XII is grossly underrated.  

Chrkeller said:
Nautilus said:

Thing is both could have been done.  FFXII accomplished this feat 14 years ago.  I still think XII is grossly underrated.  

The battle system in XII was about that, and only that.The gambit system and all.This game is different.

In the end, it was the devs decision, one I get behind.

Tagging so I can comment once I've tried the demo.

Signature goes here!

JRPGfan said:
HollyGamer said:
So i just downloaded , and listening to the intro song, I am crying. a 36 Years old crying . This so warming

FF7 was the first game that made me weep.
When a *certain* character dies, it hit the then teen me, hard.... right in the feels.

You can just say Aeirth. It's about as much a secret/spoiler as Darth Vader is Lukes day or King Kong dies. Everyone knows even those who never played it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!