By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final fantasy 7 remake demo is out now!

Liked it less, quite a bit less, than I expected.

Great:
Graphics are superb
Audio was impressive

Mixed Bag:
Battle system. On one hand the battle system is fun and stylish. On the other what a horrendous camera with mediocre lock on. The Scorpion boss was especially tedious and lasted way too long. By the end I was simply bored.  Overall during battles Cloud was flying around the room and the camera was spazio, couldn't even tell what I was attacking half the time.   

Bad:
Did not like Barrett at all. He wasn't my favorite in the original, but in this version he is just bad. Voice acting was bad, the script was bad (like Anakin Skywalker bad). I also didn't like the constant jabbering of all the characters, just too much. As with most modern games (especially rpgs) too many cut scenes and stoppage of play.  A modern trend I could do without. Felt like I had to stop and listen at least once in very room.  I'll finish by saying awful AI.  From Barrett getting stuck in the lasers to Barrett not using heal when it was blatantly obvious to do so.  With multiple characters in a party, I expect a good level of AI in battles.  Square did a great job with the gambit system in XII, VII could use a similar system.     

It does look great, I will grant Square the ability to make a pretty game.  But I was quite surprised by the other meh aspect of the demo.  Probably a pass from me.  I'd rather play RE3, TLoU2 and Ori Willow.  If feels like Square should have spent less time on the graphics and more time on the battle system.    

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 02 March 2020

Around the Network
Peh said:
How does it compare to FF15 from a gameplay perspective?
I think that FF15 is a desaster. So anyone who thinks similar please enlighten me.

Complete opposite.A real time combat that actually works, dosen't play for itself, and the cast is far more enjoyable(obviously).

The graphics/art-style/cyberpunk aesthetic is night and day compared to FF XV.Utterly magnific.

The only thing to see now is story, if it holds up.But I guess it will.In another words, it's not even comparable.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Lol at people saying combat was just mashing , its not even worth to debate combat or this game in this fórum. I loved it and thats all that mathers 😘, is such a polished game and runs great with no frame rate drops. Square did a great job.

Exactly. It was a great demo.  If I thought like some of the people on the forums I wouldn't enjoy any game I played and could easily take the smallest non issues and elevate it to ridiculous proportions.  Kinda like now in this thread. 

Lube Me Up

Just got done with it, and I am really looking forward to playing the full game now. The action combat works great with attacking, blocking, and dodging. You also still have the strategic element as spells, items, and abilities are tied to the ATB meter. It also lets you use you ally's ATB meter abilities as well without having to constantly change characters, which is nice.  This way you can main with whoever you want effectively with only needing to change characters to strategically focus on specific foes they might be better suited for.

I like how Ally units only auto attack, but will not use their ATB meter which gives you full control. This keeps them from wasting items or abilities IMO. Some people seem to have missed the bigger picture with that design choice. If items and magic was used in auto play, it would have really taken from the experience.  Auto attacking regular attacks to fill the ATB gauge is all they need to do.  I do hope their AI for picking their targets gets a bit better though by release.

Now we just need to see how the story will play out. Will it be expanded upon in a meaningful way, or just added fluff to drag the game out?

This demo has made me feel much better about the combat overall at least. Next month cannot come soon enough!

Last edited by Shiken - on 02 March 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Chrkeller said:

Great:
Graphics are superb
Audio was impressive

Mixed Bag:
Battle system. On one hand the battle system is fun and stylish. On the other what a horrendous camera with mediocre lock on. The Scorpion boss was especially tedious and lasted way too long. By the end I was simply bored.  Overall during battles Cloud was flying around the room and the camera was spazio, couldn't even tell what I was attacking half the time.   

Bad:
Did not like Barrett at all. He wasn't my favorite in the original, but in this version he is just bad. Voice acting was bad, the script was bad (like Anakin Skywalker bad). I also didn't like the constant jabbering of all the characters, just too much. As with most modern games (especially rpgs) too many cut scenes and stoppage of play.  A modern trend I could do without. Felt like I had to stop and listen at least once in very room.  I'll finish by saying awful AI.  From Barrett getting stuck in the lasers to Barrett not using heal when it was blatantly obvious to do so.  With multiple characters in a party, I expect a good level of AI in battles.  Square did a great job with the gambit system in XII, VII could use a similar system.     

It does look great, I will grant Square the ability to make a pretty game.  But I was quite surprised by the other meh aspect of the demo.  Probably a pass from me.  I'd rather play RE3, TLoU2 and Ori Willow.  If feels like Square should have spent less time on the graphics and more time on the battle system.    

You are supposed to cast cure with R2. (Taking charge of Barrets atb)

I much prefer this and having to keep an eye on all characters and issue key commands. Then them playing taking key choices by themselves. It's hard to keep track of at first but it adds challenge.

Around the Network

The loc on camera was not great when I was Barret so I switched to free control when there are high up enemies

People complaining about the AI, heal yourself man lol don't need the game to be holding your hand through everything xD

Otter said:
Chrkeller said:

Great:
Graphics are superb
Audio was impressive

Mixed Bag:

Bad:

You are supposed to cast cure with R2. (Taking charge of Barrets atb)

I much prefer this and having to keep an eye on all characters and issue key commands. Then them playing taking key choices by themselves. It's hard to keep track of at first but it adds challenge.

That's how it should be too, i want control over that. 

think-man said:
People complaining about the AI, heal yourself man lol don't need the game to be holding your hand through everything xD

If I was alone in battle, I would agree. I don't expect to be automatically healed in every videogame. But if I have allies and they have the capacity to heal, I don't think it's silly to expect that they would heal themsleves or you at times. Is not a major problem, especially in a game where you can pretty much stop time... but I think it's acceptable to expect such feature.

If the AI doesn't attack to what it should attack and it isn't able to heal anyone... what's even the point of having an allied AI?

Vodacixi said:
think-man said:

If I was alone in battle, I would agree. I don't expect to be automatically healed in every videogame. But if I have allies and they have the capacity to heal, I don't think it's silly to expect that they would heal themsleves or you at times. Is not a major problem, especially in a game where you can pretty much stop time... but I think it's acceptable to expect such feature.

If the AI doesn't attack to what it should attack and it isn't able to heal anyone... what's even the point of having an allied AI?

To manage the characters basic attacks & movements whilst their ATB bar fills up. This is also why there is a classic mode where you only control the ATB. It's a direct function of the game to cast spells/skills from any character at any time, just like traditional turn based combat. I think there will be a learning curve where pple adjust expectations of how the game is intended to be played