By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do I lose belly fat?

Keiji said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I do not think the state of mind during a depression is something that you can approve to others.

I don't want him/her to have a depression of course. It just if you don't eat for at least two weeks, it will work for losing weight. I was in depression and didn't want to eat so I did it.

That would not work for the purposes of the OP.  They don't want to lose weight, they want to lose weight in a particular place.  It's also just absolutely terrible advice in general, and you should probably think twice before giving it.

Around the Network
Keiji said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I do not think the state of mind during a depression is something that you can approve to others.

I don't want him/her to have a depression of course. It just if you don't eat for at least two weeks, it will work for losing weight. I was in depression and didn't want to eat so I did it.

Yeah but it is not a healthy way to lose weight and surely it would be obvious to him that not eating for two weeks would cause him to lose weight.

Ultimately this is about being happy with what you are so depression to lose weight seems a bit counterproductive.

Immersiveunreality said:
Keiji said:

Yeah but it is not a healthy way to lose weight and surely it would be obvious to him that not eating for two weeks would cause him to lose weight.

Ultimately this is about being happy with what you are so depression to lose weight seems a bit counterproductive.

I don't think he's advocating depression, just one of the side effects that could be theoretically applied without it.  My depression makes me eat everything in sight, so being depressed is not necessarily a good weight loss strategy.

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I don't think he's advocating depression, just one of the side effects that could be theoretically applied without it.  My depression makes me eat everything in sight, so being depressed is not necessarily a good weight loss strategy.

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I do think the same as you but i disagree with how he brings across his message and i do hope he will be happy eventually,i do not really think he is advocating for it either but too much relevance is put upon the being depressed for weightloss part imo and that is of no use to the OP.

Yeah i get you,after feeling down you need to eat things you love to eat to feel rewarded and have your mind put at ease, have that endorfine kick in like an addiction and that is what an eating disorder mostly is.

Around the Network

When I decide to cut, I usually lower carbs and cut out added sugars. No cookies cupcakes, candy, ice cream etc. Typical meal schedule for a few week cut would be eggs and coffee for breakfast, protein shake or peanut butter apple for lunch, and dinner would be something like Chicken, brown rice, and milk. Fruit and Veggies added in there for snacks. I'm pretty lean so this would be when I want to cut the extra 5lbs or so in the Summer. If you are looking to lose more weight just focus on keeping sugars to a minimum, and add in minor lifting, yoga, or running into a routine you can follow. I'm a long distance runner but I have friends that swear by Hiit High intensity interval training. As far as ab workouts planks and hanging leg raises work best, but of course you need to keep the fat fairly low to show it.

To reiterate what many have already said: you can't target fat loss. You can only target with muscle development. Sometimes if your core is weak, strengthening your core can make you look leaner, but every body is different.

What I'd recommend: strengthen your legs.

If you're worried about losing fat in your legs when you lose weight, adding muscle will offset this. And as a bonus, if you're a complete noob at the gym, it's totally possible to get stronger and lose weight at the same time.

Where I would disagree with some of the previous posts is I would not recommend you to run. Or rather, I would recommend you to limit cardio that has high impact on your legs. Running will actually make your leg muscles leaner, which is the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve.

Besides, cardio is less crucial for weight loss, and there are low impact forms of cardio like elliptical and cycling that will elevate your heart rate, but not lean out your leg muscles.

Nutrition is how you lose weight. If you consume fewer calories than your body burns, you will lose weight.

I won't go into the science, but your body has an "ideal" weight (which is different for everyone) that it will try to go back to, and your body will naturally try to preserve fat as much as possible. Meaning if you eat less, your body will become more efficient and burn fewer calories.

The best way to lose weight is to track your calories over time, and just keep lowering your calories by 100 until you start to see weight loss, and only lower it further when you start to plateau. Keep a journal of how much you think you ate, and always subtract calories burned from exercise (so if you workout, you eat more). A good rule of thumb for someone your size is around 1 pound of weight loss per week. Any more than that would likely be unhealthy/not possible.

For example, let's say of you eat 2000 calories and your weight stays the same for two weeks. Lower your calories to 1900. If you only lost 1 pound over two weeks, try lowering your calories by another 100 to 1800. If you do cardio for an hour, and you burn 900 calories, eat 2700 calories that day. Burned calories are not free! You'll just starve yourself and it will make you more likely to cheat and fall off the wagon.

There's a lot to track, and weight loss happens slowly. This is why having professional assistance can be critical. It's also totally possible to be discouraged by misleading measurements. For example, you eat one salty meal and suddenly your body is holding 3 extra pounds of water weight the next morning. Measure your weight everyday to eliminate the error from natural fluctuations

Body development is a slow process, and it's entirely possible that your body is not physically able to attain the shape you want. Always mitigate your expectations and focus on short-term goals: I want to lose 4 pounds by the end of the month or I want to squat 135 lbs by the summer.

Good luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, always weigh yourself at the same time everyday, wearing the same clothes or naked.  Please keep in mind your body naturally fluctuates in weight.  A difference in 3-5 pounds with no change in body composition is normal.  Heavier people can have even wider swings.  Just because you are 5 pounds lighter after a week of dieting does not mean you lost 5 pounds of fat.  It's just water loss and less food in your digestive tract.  Weight loss takes time. Lots of it.

Last edited by IvorEvilen - on 25 February 2020

ArchangelMadzz said:
Yeah that's not how it works, you lose weight and fat gradually goes from all different areas.

Working out causes muscles to grow and get stronger, so bodybuilders can target specific areas, but fat doesn't get worked when you work out, fat burns due to needing extra calories to survive, you don't choose where the fat comes from. For example people have chubby fingers, they run for a few months and lose their chubby fingers, they didn't go finger exercises to lose them.

The weight will gradually go and the belly fat will eventually follow. It all depends on where your body is decided to get the extra energy from.

The only caveat that makes it a good idea to do localized exercises on the abs is that with more muscles there (hyperthrophy) the more they will push outwards and even with the same amount of fat it will look slimmer (unless of course person have to much or have a bad body shape where they may look even fatter).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Liposuction

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Nope. Not eating for 2 weeks isn't a good way to lose fat. Sure you can lose weight, a lot of it will be just water and another big portion will be muscle and glycogen.

He would suffer for 2 weeks, not even counting for the unhealthy portion, but would lose small quantity of fat itself. And that would fast go back once he started eating normally.

Any efficient weight loss program demands a change of habits for the rest of life, just look that almost all extreme diets fat people do results in a gain of weight bigger than the loss they had.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."