By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch can't/won't outsell DS because...........

archbrix said:
Jumpin said:

People are ignoring some of the glaring problems with the Switch compared to the DS.

Problems with the Switch:
1. The Switch is a little spoiled
2. It’s kind of ditzy
3. A little too into its looks
4. Just a waitress
5. Chubby ankles

DS has glaring one problem.
1. It’s not Rachem

Damn. Switch was just my type up until #5.

Hopefully Switch 2 will be a foot model.  I'll buy two.

It's the part Switch denies the most and is most sensitive about.
But in the end, the Switch ends up in the emotionally manipulative arms it belongs in... until someone decides to take a break!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

I think the main reason why the Switch won't catch up to the DS in sales is because the Switch doesn't really have that casual appeal like the DS fan at the time. The DS released at a time before the smartphones and tablets became mainstream and most games on phones at the time were limited and shit with no real app store. At the time the DS was really the only legit option for casuals to play legit casual games like Brain Age and Nintendogs, and the high sales of those games prove how much of the DS install base were casual gamers. The DS also appealed to casuals because of it's touch screen capability, which was a feature that was very novel and interesting to casuals when it released in 2004 and was something that most mainstream cellphones couldn't offered at the time. The DS pretty much filled the gap for the casual gamers in the market before smartphone games took over.

The Switch doesn't really have that casual appeal like the DS had, most of the casual gamers who got a DS who want to play simple cheap games have completely moved on to mobile gaming and they don't feel the need to spend 300-200$ for a Switch when they're happy with gaming on their smartphones. And while the Switch may be appealing to gamers since you can play and detach joycons and play full console games anywhere on the TV or on the go, the Switch doesn't really have that appeal to attract casual gamers like the DS and Wii did where their game changing innovation and simple games filled the gap for casual gamers before smartphones hit. Nintendo has tried to appeal to more casual gamers on the Switch with stuff like Nintendo Labo, Ring Fit Adventure, 1-2 Switch. However, those games never really caught on as Nintendo had hoped as Nintendo Labo likely ended up selling disappointing for Nintendo since Nintendo didn't even mention Labo's sales in their latest financial report and while Ring Fit was a mild success selling 2.17M in about 2 months, it still would get outsold by Nintendo's more hardcore titles released around the same time period like Luigi's Mansion 3 selling 5.37M in 2 months and Links Awakening selling around 4M in 3 Months. And 1-2 Switch ended up being one of the most forgettable titles on the Switch as majority of it's 3M sales came within it's launch period where 1-2 Switch released with little competition from other games and usually early buyers purchase everything. So it's clear that those games haven't really caught on to the casual gamer crowd that the DS had as it seems like casuals aren't willling to spend 300+$ just to try out labo or Ring Fit. Maybe Animal Crossing will help the Switch appeal to the more casual crowd which I wouldn't doubt it much since Animal Crossing sold extremely well on the 3DS, selling nearly 13M copies. But even then I don't think Animal Crossing will be enough to appeal to the casual audience entirely.

Welp this didn't age very well lol.

So back in early 2020 I thought there was little chance the Switch could come close to DS sales because the Switch's casual appeal was limited since many of the DS gamers moved towards smartphones games, the 3DS selling only half of what the DS sold despite being a similiar product helped prove to me at the time that smartphone games are cutting too much into Nintendo's appeal for the Switch to reach the DS. I thought the Switch's concept wasn't appealing enough to attract the same crowd the DS did.

And man I was wrong. I mentioned how I didn't think Animal Crossing would be big enough to appeal to the larger market too but then just a month later it became the main catalyst in blowing up the Switch in sales to now potentially surpass the DS.

I think my logic was flawed here cause I compared the Switch to the 3DS in my logic, but the Switch is a much more appealing system hardware wise by giving people the option to play games on the TV and on the go, and the games are simply just better and more unique than just smartphone experiences. I know many non gamers who want a Switch for party type scenarios to play on the TV with modern Nintendo games on a system they actually care about (AKA Not Wii U).

Now the only thing that could potentially prevent the Switch from outselling the DS is Nintendo themselves if they decide to never drop the price,release new models, and release a backwards compatible successor in 2024. The Switch's appeal has more than enough momentum imo to easily exceed 160M+ if Nintendo did the exact same things they did with the DS by making it super cheap and releasing one more model. But at the very least even if the Switch falls short it will be less than 10M away from the number guaranteed. There's no question at this point that the Switch has enough appeal to reach the DS, it'll just be dependent on if Nintendo wants to keep pushing the Switch.

FarleyMcFirefly said:

the coronavirus.

Covid turned out to be a massive boon for the Switch, and gaming in general.