By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch can't/won't outsell DS because...........

Radek said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Higher price - prices can be dropped.

Cazulaz went to smartphones - Brain Training and Nintendogs might be possible on smartphones but Ring Fit Adventure and Switch Sports aren't.

Cannibalising successor - I don't see it. All I see is a delay in upgrading. For some reason the hardcorez are already clamouring for Mario Kart 8 and NSMBUD in 4K just like when they wanted MKWii and Wii Sports in HD. It's great when people are dying for your next product 7 years before it even releases but I think Nintendo would be stupid to make MK9 and NNSMB exclusive to Switch 2. If the hardcorez want them in 4K, fine, but there's no reason why Switch's life has to be cut short instead of releasing them alongside a 1080p version for the original.

TL:DR - It's a portable PS3/360. The amount of life left in this BEAST is unprecedented. No offense but the PC, PS4 and XB1 brought nothing new this gen that wasn't possible on smartphones (in terms of success as opposed to VR). If Switch can run Fortnite, Minecraft, CoD, GTA5 and FIFA then Nintendo can keep it alive for 20 years if they wanted to. In terms of gameplay, is there anything that a Switch successor could do for Pokemon, SMB, Mario Kart, Wii Sports and Brawl that the original can't?

Yes it can run GTA 5 and COD but neither of these publishers want to release these games on it so...

People are missing the point, most people are upgrading to 4K, in fact you almost cant find a 1080p TV anymore.

Then, GTA5 is from last gen, it doesn't hold up well compared to modern games, gta5 is full of jaggies compared with modern open world games.

Then the ps5/xbox series X will be another big jump, further eliminating jaggies.

By next year, the graphics will be way ahead of the switch, switch will still be great for portable games, but not for full console games as those will look leagues ahead on the main consoles, therefore no one will buy a 720p game on switch if they can have it in 2160p on the main consoles, that's like 9x the pixel count, imagine that, and then the main consoles will have better effects, performance and AA, add to that the switch could have maximum 64gb space on the memory on the SD, the new home consoles can do 100GB on 2 discs (2 discs are way cheaper than a 64gb SD).

The switch is fine for ports and some people might trade graphics for portability, but next gen the difference will be far too massive, I personally think it already is, playing witcher 3 on my xbox X is a huge difference to the switch, its like a completely different game all together, so imagine next gen. 3rd party developers will be forced to leave the switch, unless they want to make exclusive games for it.

So, sales will start to slow a lot next year when people witness next gen graphics.

The switch will be left behind just like the Wii was when the ps4/One released. Graphics were acceptable against the ps3/360, but not acceptable compared to the ps4/One

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
I’m not seeing any 2DS/3DS for less than $149 and that’s a 9 years old system.

So no, prices for the switch that actually switch won’t reach less than $199-149.

I bought my new 2DS XL for 90dollars second hand, I had before a 3ds lite that I bought 4  years ago for 60dollars second hand.

With that said, I bought my switch 2 years ago for 190dollars second hand with a case and screen protector and Mario kart, I will never understand why people buy brand new, knowing that many people wont like the product and sell it in mint condition for 70% of the price.

I've seen switches for 150 dollars with games on local classifieds, probably people wanting to upgrade to switch lite, or new switch witch has better battery.

Same with 3DS, Nintendo launched so many models that people who upgrade sold their old models for half price.

The best deal I got was my WiiU 32gb with wii mote and pro controller, and 5 games for 60 dollars

And best of all, by the time I bought it, games were 25% of the original price.

Be a smart buyer. With that said, I will buy ps5 on launch day full price, because I know it will be a success and many new games, looking back at switch, we didn't have any decent game until weeks after when Mario odyssey launched, because the other good games I could play on my wiiU, so for the first 5 or 6 months there was only Odyssey, I never buy a console for 1 single game.

I disagree because the Switch is being bought by two markets at the same time.

The core and casuals buying it for the console. But then you have the handheld crowd that normally buys the 3Ds also buying the Switch. Sure their is some overlap but the Switch is a wild card. Nintendo essentially dissolved its handheld division and all their eggs are in Switch

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

victor83fernandes said:

DS has sold almost 155 million, I don't think the switch will reach that, I don't even think the ps4 will reach that, they might pass the Gameboy, maybe.

Reason is - DS was a total portable device and was backwards compatible with GB advance, there's really something that the switch cant do, close the device so the screen is protected and put it in the pocket or bag. You can always get a case for the switch, which will make it even bulkier and its not as good as just opening the screen and play, true portable device.

Also price and durability, most these portable devices are sold to parents who buy them for their kids, specially on Christmas, I'd say 75% of all portables, so it makes sense if parents want to spend less money on the gift.

Also, games for DS were much cheaper, so people could justify more a DS as they could get more games + they could run their old GB advance games.

Also, a lot of the DS market was adults/elders wanting to play puzzle games like brain training and such, so they were basically not gamers, they just wanted to play puzzles, cards and sudoku with the pen, which was perfect for that type, specially with the dual screen, the switch doesn't have that.

I remember back in the day I actually bought one mainly for that, because I never play out of the house, so my DS was a puzzle machine, but my switch I bought it as the next Nintendo home console, not as a portable.

Lets be honest, take out the puzzle market and the total portable market and market for people who want cheap games, and that means the switch will never reach those sales, because its only sold to gamers.

The switch adds the old Nintendo home console market, but most are the old fans like myself, looking at the gamecube and N64, that means around 25-30 million consoles for the fans, which most already bought one.

As one of the biggest Nintendo fans since the early 90s, I wish Nintendo would just make another powerful home console instead of a very underpowered hybrid, I already saw Breath of the wild running on a good PC with 4K and AA, it looks way better, and that's what we could be having on Nintendo consoles.

Eww nobody wants that, that'd be a terrible decision. Also they don't have an underpowered hybrid, what they have is an overpowered portable that can be played hybrid. Saying the Switch is underpowered is just crazy - it can play current console games with some downgraded graphics...and its a portable! In no world is that underpowered. Nobody wants a $400 Nintendo system that competes for the exact same market as Xbox and PS. Nintendo's business excels when they think outside the box and give people what they didn't even know they wanted. The high powered clone console market is full with two competing for that title, while the Nintendo enjoys massive success by choosing an overlapping but slightly different market. You want way better looking Zelda game...wait for the Switch 2, which should be like an overpowered PS4 portable in terms of graphics.

The DS was cheap (the Lite was at any rate), had GBA compatibility, highly portable, and had unique software that was lightning in a bottle.
The Switch could very well sell more than the Wii. If it's really lucky, it will outsell the combined sales of the GB and GBC. But it's not touching the DS (pun intended). I don't see any hardware ever coming close to the DS and PS2, though PS4 has a good chance of being the 3rd-best selling video game platform.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Someone say the Switch isn't underpowered? A downclocked Shield from years ago, deluded.

Radek said:
120 million IMO, I don't expect anything more.

I would say the same thing. Which is a great achievement already.

Shadow1980 said:

Because this:

The Switch did better than the DS initially in the U.S., but that's because the DS had a weak start. When the DS Lite was released, the DS experienced the single largest and most protracted period of growth of any system ever in the U.S. market. Once you put the Switch up against post-DS Lite quarters, the DS has outperformed it considerably (only in Q4 of Year 2 did the Switch do better than the post-Lite DS). Overall, the DS sold about 8.2M in 2007, vs. about 6.5M for the Switch in 2019. That's 29.6% better for Year 3 for the DS. And the DS kept growing. Total Year 1 to Year 3 sales for the Switch are now only less than 700k ahead of what the DS did in the same time frame (and if you add in the 1225k the DS sold in Nov.+Dec. 2004, it's actually ahead of the Switch).

Unless the Switch can manage 50% YoY growth this year, that deficit is going to grow, very quickly, and considering January NPD summaries indicate the Switch is actually slightly down this year, and with no new hardware model due this year, that doesn't bode well for any significant year-over-year growth. Even a big price cut and some big game likely won't do the trick for the Switch this year. Historical sales patterns show that, in nearly cases (and in all cases with Nintendo systems), once a system has had several quarters of YoY growth and that growth ceases and turns into YoY declines, that system will have entered the terminal decline phase of its life. It's entirely possible that 2019 was the Switch's peak in the U.S., though we won't have a clear enough picture to tell for certain for at least another few months.

In Japan, the Switch has already racked up a staggering deficit against the DS. Even if we ignore the DS's 2004 sales, the Switch is running a deficit of nearly 8 million units against the DS. The Switch is even trailing the 3DS by a decent amount, and the 3DS also fell well short of the DS. Unless it pulls some mind-blowing figures over the next 3-4 years that put 2019 sales levels to shame, there's no way in hell the Switch is going to even come close matching the DS in Japan, much less surpassing it.

And if VGC data is any indication, the Switch will have to quadruple its current LTD sales figures in Europe to just tie the DS. No system has ever been that back-loaded, so it'd be safe to file that under "Not Going to Happen."

TL;DR: A cursory glance at the sales data demonstrates quite clearly that the odds of the Switch surpassing the DS are close to nil.

The main problem with this argument is that you can compare the DS to the first three years of the PS2 and get a similar story.  

Data has not yet shown when Switch will peak.  If we are going by sales so far this year, Switch has not peaked yet comparing YoY Jan-Feb sales to last year (worldwide).  Data has also not given us an indication yet of what Switch's legs will be like.  Going by data alone is going to give an incomplete picture.

On the other hand we can measure market size.  If you combine all of the handheld gamers and all of the home gamers, then that is a huge potential market for Switch.  It only needs to sell to about 55% of that market in order to beat the DS.  On top of that the home version is actually more popular than the Lite version.  Home gamers are going for Switch in a big way and handheld gamers love it too.  Switch has a lot more growth potential than even the DS had.

That is why saying the Switch can't possibly outsell the DS is calling this way too early.  

Random_Matt said:
Someone say the Switch isn't underpowered? A downclocked Shield from years ago, deluded.

As a hybrid it’s fine 

Radek said:
Can someone remind me how many units Switch sold in 2019? Can't find the data and I'm on phone atm.

19.35 million units.