By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180
Metallox said:
Hynad said:

It’s not in my head that the game is running at an unsteady frame rate.

What a stupid thing to say. 

I mean, if you want to complain about the frame rate, it goes the same way with FFVII. Its battles are painfully slow, kind of hard not to play the game with a speed booster these days. To be blatantly honest, neither of the two games as they are hold up for this reason. 

I agree. It’s hard to play older FF games without speed boosters. 

But the nature of a game such as OoT, where you explore in 3D, makes it harder on the eyes than a [mostly] static game such as FF VII. Doesn’t help that N64 games had muddy visuals due to the AA solution that most games used.

Super Mario 64 had a much bigger impact on gaming than OoT. Even though the Z-Targeting was brilliant and adopted by countless developers since.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
@Hynad, how can you call out Ocarina of Time for its framerate and saying things like "N64 was chewing more than it could"... when FF VII on PS struggled to keep 20 FPS on battles? Are you serious? xD

It's hilarious the arguments some of you people choose to defened Final Fantasy VII. Instead of reminding people what that game did well (and there sure are many things it did great), you keep throwing bullshit like a framerate war were FF VII at best TIES with OoT and at worse LOSES, try to downplay OoT gameplay because "it was improved by future games" and is not as refined as modern action adventure games when that can be said for almost every 5th gen game including FF VII... among other dumb stuff of similar caliber.

Seriously, you are not doing FF VII any favour...

His hate for OoT and his undying love for FFVII are too strong to keep a straight mind at this point. I absolutely know no one from that era that complained about the framerate of OoT this fervently.

SammyGiireal said:
Vodacixi said:
@Hynad, how can you call out Ocarina of Time for its framerate and saying things like "N64 was chewing more than it could"... when FF VII on PS struggled to keep 20 FPS on battles? Are you serious? xD

It's hilarious the arguments some of you people choose to defened Final Fantasy VII. Instead of reminding people what that game did well (and there sure are many things it did great), you keep throwing bullshit like a framerate war were FF VII at best TIES with OoT and at worse LOSES, try to downplay OoT gameplay because "it was improved by future games" and is not as refined as modern action adventure games when that can be said for almost every 5th gen game including FF VII... among other dumb stuff of similar caliber.

His hate for OoT and his undying love for FFVII are too strong to keep a straight mind at this point. I absolutely know no one from that era that complained about the framerate of OoT this fervently.

The thing is... on that era, unless you were playing on PC (and even that wasn't a guarantee)... many games had inconsistent or low framerates by today's standards. Specially on N64 and PS1. So, while there were games with glorious 60fps (Tekken 3 and F-ZERO X come to mind) or solid 30, people of that time pretty much accepted the inconvinience... and a lot of people didn't even notice about 24 FPS and so.

And even if as he said, he played Ocarina of Time at the time it released and was bother by the low framerate, he should also be bothered by every other game that had a similar problem. Including FF VII. But it seems he either has developed a selective memory on that matter... or he's lying.

Vodacixi said:

If I was comparing both. I’d say you’d have a case. But since I was only talking about OoT, and mentioning its flaws, I don’t know what you’re on about.

Mentioning a game’s flaws in no fucking way means I am discounting another game’s flaws, or that same flaws don’t apply to it. In no way am I am defending FF VII by bringing up that OoT did have flaws. That’s a stupid equivalency you’re making, and are putting words in my mouth. Simply let me use my own, thank you.

Your lot keeps on calling the game perfect. I am saying I don’t think it is. That even back then, in 1998, I didn’t think it was perfect, despite its great atmosphere and the sense of wonder that came with the exploration aspects of it. 
Arguably flawless are games like Zelda LTTP, Super Mario World and Super Metroid.

OoT, while a great achievement for being one of the first games of its type at the time, wasn’t flawless. Its flaw were simply overlooked exactly because, yes, it was one of the first game of its type at the time. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 19 February 2020

SammyGiireal said:
Vodacixi said:

I had no issue playing it at the time, but I have a hard time going back to it over the 3DS version for this reason.  

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Metallox said:

I mean, if you want to complain about the frame rate, it goes the same way with FFVII. Its battles are painfully slow, kind of hard not to play the game with a speed booster these days. To be blatantly honest, neither of the two games as they are hold up for this reason. 

I agree. It’s hard to play older FF games without speed boosters. 

But the nature of a game such as OoT, where you explore in 3D, makes it harder on the eyes than a [mostly] static game such as FF VII. Doesn’t help that N64 games had muddy visuals due to the AA solution that most games used.

Super Mario 64 had a much bigger impact on gaming than OoT. Even though the Z-Targeting was brilliant and adopted by countless developers since.

I see what you say, and since Link's movement is always cramped by the clunky controls and frame rate, it makes sense why one would consider OoT the most awful of the two to play. But FFVII still deals with similar problems. At the end of the day, navigation and combat feel like they take way longer than they should, and that may be not hard on your eyes, but it does get on your patience. No one minded back in the day because there were not many other games as reference, same as why no one minded OoT's controls and poor visual feedback. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

If I was comparing both. I’d say you’d have a case. But since I was only talking about OoT, and mentioning its flaws, I don’t know what you’re on about.

Mentioning a game’s flaws in no fucking way means I am discounting another game’s flaws, or that same flaws don’t apply to it. In no way am I am defending FF VII by bringing up that OoT did have flaws. That’s a stupid equivalency you’re making, and are putting words in my mouth. Simply let me use my own, thank you.

Your lot keeps on calling the game perfect. I am saying I don’t think it is. That even back then, in 1998, I didn’t think it was perfect, despite its great atmosphere and the sense of wonder that came with the exploration aspects of it. 
Arguably flawless are games like Zelda LTTP, Super Mario World and Super Metroid.

OoT, while a great achievement for being one of the first games of its type at the time, wasn’t flawless. Its flaw were simply overlooked exactly because, yes, it was one of the first game of its type at the time. 

If this comment didn't exist:

"But the nature of a game such as OoT, where you explore in 3D, makes it harder on the eyes than a [mostly] static game such as FF VII. Doesn’t help that N64 games had muddy visuals due to the AA solution that most games used"

Then I'd say you would have a case. But since you said that, I will say you got exposed and you're desperately trying to save your ass xD

Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

"But the nature of a game such as OoT, where you explore in 3D, makes it harder on the eyes than a [mostly] static game such as FF VII. Doesn’t help that N64 games had muddy visuals due to the AA solution that most games used"

Then I'd say you would have a case. But since you said that, I will say you got exposed and you're desperately trying to save your ass xD

You will believe whatever you want. I am bringing up flaws for a game you wank to, so of course you’ll bring up anything to try to discredit my view of it. Interesting to see you can’t approach this in an objective manner. And that you disregard the rest of that comment in which I mention how it is difficult to play older FF games without a speed booster because they are incredibly slow paced.

Interesting too that you cannot see how a low frame rate doesn’t affect every types of game the same way. You would be able to understand this if you weren’t so eager to jump at my throat for not thinking your golden game is perfect the way you think it is.

Also interesting that you take a comment made after your original reply to me to somehow try to disprove what I said and my stance. When the discussion is unrelated to what came prior to it, when I was indeed not yet comparing both.

If someone is desperate, it’s you.

Last edited by Hynad - on 19 February 2020

Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

You will believe whatever you want. I am bringing up flaws for a game you wank to, so of course you’ll bring up anything to try to discredit my view of it. Interesting to see you can’t approach this in an objective manner. And that you disregard the rest of that comment in which I mention how it is difficult to play older FF games without a speed booster because they are incredibly slow paced.

Interesting too that you cannot see how a low frame rate doesn’t affect every types of game the same way. You would be able to understand this if you weren’t so eager to jump at my throat for not thinking your golden game is perfect the way you think it is.

Dude you are playing a revisionist role here. In 1998 a steady 24 fps, felt as good as a steady 30fps game feels today. That's how the big world N64 game adventures played, and no one made a big deal of it, because that was a standard. The argument is OoT vs FFVII, the frame rate in both games is what was expected of them in that era, and the positive reception to both, especially Ocarina (given how that game rendered a 3-D world in real-time) showed this.

SammyGiireal said:
Hynad said:

Dude you are playing a revisionist role here. In 1998 a steady 24 fps, felt as good as a steady 30fps game feels today. That's how the big world N64 game adventures played, and no one made a big deal of it, because that was a standard. The argument is OoT vs FFVII, the frame rate in both games is what was expected of them in that era, and the positive reception to both, especially Ocarina (given how that game rendered a 3-D world in real-time) showed this.

Dude, let me refresh your memory, unless you didn’t even read the OP.

The OP asks: Which you you prefer, and why?

It isn’t asking us to question their rightful place in gaming history, or attempt a wanking contest about which is objectively better than the other. 

If you aren’t capable of accepting that someone sees flaws in something, or that something that doesn’t bother you may bother someone else, then you should definitely try maturing up a little. Simply because others don’t see exactly the way you do, doesn’t make them wrong. 

I managed to articulate some of the things that bothered me with OoT. And somehow, you can’t fathom it because in your little world, everyone and their grandmas are supposed to worship this game.

I would suggest you get over it.