Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180
Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

If this comment didn't exist:

"But the nature of a game such as OoT, where you explore in 3D, makes it harder on the eyes than a [mostly] static game such as FF VII. Doesn’t help that N64 games had muddy visuals due to the AA solution that most games used"

Then I'd say you would have a case. But since you said that, I will say you got exposed and you're desperately trying to save your ass xD

You will believe whatever you want. I am bringing up flaws for a game you wank to, so of course you’ll bring up anything to try to discredit my view of it. Interesting to see you can’t approach this in an objective manner. And that you disregard the rest of that comment in which I mention how it is difficult to play older FF games without a speed booster because they are incredibly slow paced.

Interesting too that you cannot see how a low frame rate doesn’t affect every types of game the same way. You would be able to understand this if you weren’t so eager to jump at my throat for not thinking your golden game is perfect the way you think it is.

Oh, don't worry. I don't wank to OoT. I think is the worst 3D Zelda ever made (yes, even worse than Skyward Sword). I'm here because I think both FF VII and OoT are very beloved games among fans and I want to see where this discussion goes.

You are missing the point of me quoting your comment. You said you were not comparing them. But the moment people called you out for the framerate thing, you started directly comparing them. You could have simply said to the other user that you were not comparing OoT framerate to FF VII just like you did with me and you would have seem "innocent". But you didn't. You compared them, confirming you were indeed trying to downplay OoT from the begginning. What follows after that is not important for the point I was trying to prove.

No, I can definetily see that. However, what you don't see is that while it would seem that in a game that does not require quick imputs, framerate is not that important, I don't think that's true. I think an already slow gameplay system as is a turned based combat with tons of long animations gets even slower an painful with a lower framerate. Just as an action game that relies in real time actions is hindered by a lower framerate.

You're making a mistake if you think I'm trying to put OoT on a pedestal an FF VII on the floor. I can see what's wrong with both games and I marry with none. Unlike you.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

You will believe whatever you want. I am bringing up flaws for a game you wank to, so of course you’ll bring up anything to try to discredit my view of it. Interesting to see you can’t approach this in an objective manner. And that you disregard the rest of that comment in which I mention how it is difficult to play older FF games without a speed booster because they are incredibly slow paced.

Interesting too that you cannot see how a low frame rate doesn’t affect every types of game the same way. You would be able to understand this if you weren’t so eager to jump at my throat for not thinking your golden game is perfect the way you think it is.

Oh, don't worry. I don't wank to OoT. I think is the worst 3D Zelda ever made (yes, even worse than Skyward Sword). I'm here because I think both FF VII and OoT are very beloved games among fans and I want to see where this discussion goes.

You are missing the point of me quoting your comment. You said you were not comparing them. But the moment people called you out for the framerate thing, you started directly comparing them. You could have simply said to the other user that you were not comparing OoT framerate to FF VII just like you did with me and you would have seem "innocent". But you didn't. You compared them, confirming you were indeed trying to downplay OoT from the begginning. What follows after that is not important for the point I was trying to prove.

No, I can definetily see that. However, what you don't see is that while it would seem that in a game that does not require quick imputs, framerate is not that important, I don't think that's true. I think an already slow gameplay system as is a turned based combat with tons of long animations gets even slower an painful with a lower framerate. Just as an action game that relies in real time actions is hindered by a lower framerate.

You're making a mistake if you think I'm trying to put OoT on a pedestal an FF VII on the floor. I can see what's wrong with both games and I marry with none. Unlike you.

Whatever you say.

I really don’t give a shit what you believe I think or what my intentions are.

Hynad said:
SammyGiireal said:

Dude you are playing a revisionist role here. In 1998 a steady 24 fps, felt as good as a steady 30fps game feels today. That's how the big world N64 game adventures played, and no one made a big deal of it, because that was a standard. The argument is OoT vs FFVII, the frame rate in both games is what was expected of them in that era, and the positive reception to both, especially Ocarina (given how that game rendered a 3-D world in real-time) showed this.

Dude, let me refresh your memory, unless you didn’t even read the OP.

The OP asks: Which you you prefer, and why?

It isn’t asking us to question their rightful place in gaming history, or attempt a wanking contest about which is objectively better than the other. 

If you aren’t capable of accepting that someone sees flaws in something, or that something that doesn’t bother you may bother someone else, then you should definitely try maturing up a little. Simply because others don’t see exactly the way you do, doesn’t make them wrong. 

I managed to articulate some of the things that bothered me with OoT. And somehow, you can’t fathom it.

I would suggest you get over it. 

Your articulations are opinions, not facts. A fact is that you are in the minority regarding the game. They are not wrong in your view, but they are in mine. This is a place for debate and as such I will debate your opinion with mine. If you aren't capable of being contradicted, then that's your issue.  

“Rarely is there such a perfect mixture of graphics, sound, and gameplay that even the most cynical players will admit that Zelda 64 is poised to shape the action RPG genre for years to come.”-IGN

“The control really holds the game together. Most 3D game designers still haven't mastered the art of controlling characters in a 3D environment, but that's not the case here. Link moves beautifully, and controlling his various actions is a breeze. “ -Gamespot

That was the general consensus in 1998. If the framerate was so "headache" inducing, and the controls clunky, I can't see how the game would be recieved so well by so many. You seem to have a deep issue with that fact for some strange reason. 

Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

Whatever you say.

Color me surprised xD

Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

Whatever you say.

Color me surprised xD

He complained about me maturing earlier, yet he resorts to cursing when contradicted...

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
Hynad said:

Dude, let me refresh your memory, unless you didn’t even read the OP.

The OP asks: Which you you prefer, and why?

It isn’t asking us to question their rightful place in gaming history, or attempt a wanking contest about which is objectively better than the other. 

If you aren’t capable of accepting that someone sees flaws in something, or that something that doesn’t bother you may bother someone else, then you should definitely try maturing up a little. Simply because others don’t see exactly the way you do, doesn’t make them wrong. 

I managed to articulate some of the things that bothered me with OoT. And somehow, you can’t fathom it.

I would suggest you get over it. 

Your articulations are opinions, not facts. A fact is that you are in the minority regarding the game. They are not wrong in your view, but they are in mine. This is a place for debate and as such I will debate your opinion with mine. If you aren't capable of being contradicted, then that's your issue.  

“Rarely is there such a perfect mixture of graphics, sound, and gameplay that even the most cynical players will admit that Zelda 64 is poised to shape the action RPG genre for years to come.”-IGN

“The control really holds the game together. Most 3D game designers still haven't mastered the art of controlling characters in a 3D environment, but that's not the case here. Link moves beautifully, and controlling his various actions is a breeze. “ -Gamespot

That was the general consensus in 1998. If the framerate was so "headache" inducing, and the controls clunky, I can't see how the game would be recieved so well by so many. You seem to have a deep issue with that fact for some strange reason. 

What are you trying to achieve by bringing up others views on the game?

Are you telling me that I should change my opinion to fit with that majority you speak of?

The OP isn’t asking for the hive’s opinion, but for our personal view on those games. That’s what I did. And somehow, you can’t let that fly. 

You really need to let it go.

Ocarina. The entire Zelda franchise as a whole is just better than FF #sorrynotsorry

Hynad said:
SammyGiireal said:

Are you telling me that I should change my opinion to fit with that majority you speak of?

The OP isn’t asking for the hive’s opinion, but for our personal view on those games. That’s what I did. And somehow, you can’t let that fly. 

But you were the first one to quote IGN to make your point earlier...hypocritical it seems. I am just showing you, in 1998 no one cared about the game running at 24 fps, no one  had nothing but positive stuff to say about the controls. The frame rate  wasn't the issue you are trying so hard to make it be.  I was never bothered by the issue apparently 99 percent of the others weren't either. Ever played Legacy of Darkness? Play that game on Hi res, and you will experience  real Framerate issues.

Last edited by SammyGiireal - on 19 February 2020

SammyGiireal said:
Hynad said:

But you were the first one to quote IGN to make your point earlier...hypocritical it seems. I just showing you, in 1998 no one cared about the game running at 24 fps, no one  had nothing but positive stuff to say about the controls. The frame rate  wasn't the issue you are trying so hard to make it be.  I was never bothered by the issue apparently 99 percent of the others weren't either. Ever played Legacy of Darkness? Play that game on Hi res, and you will experience  real Framerate issues.

Hypocritical? Wtf? I quoted Gamefan, not IGN, to make a point about your stupid double standard.

What is it in your head that can’t understand that I am not talking for anyone other than for myself!

You keep telling me that others don’t see it the way I do. Why the actual fuck should I care what others think? I think for myself and those aspects of the game bothered me. I don’t care if others weren’t bothered by them or overlooked them.

I don’t need anyone else to formulate my own view based on my own standards and expectations. You are free to do the same.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Ocarina. The entire Zelda franchise as a whole is just better than FF #sorrynotsorry

An interesting take, because early Final Fantasy is outstanding (Everything from IV to XII was impeccable) but the franchise has been wavering. Early Zelda (outside of Link to the Past) was pretty hit or miss and kinda crap/outdated, but Breath of the Wild is EASILY the best Zelda game, overall. 

Just an interesting turn, in my opinion. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android