By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favorite type of RPG?

What is your favorite type of RPG?

Turn-Based RPGs 326 45.59%

Strategy RPGs 54 7.55%

Open World RPGS 266 37.20%

MMORPGs 22 3.08%

Other (please explain!) 47 6.57%

Total:715

I love Turn-Based and Action-based the most. I prefer Japanese in both but I do like some Western games in both as well. I like open world when done well.

Last edited by Leynos - on 13 February 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

I've always preferred turn-based combat systems in my RPGs. It's for that reason why I consider the 90s (especially the 16-bit era) as the Golden Age of the JRPG. So many greats came from Gen 4 & 5. Final Fantasy 4, 6, & 7, several old-school Dragon Quest games, Chrono Trigger, the Lunar duology, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound are all classics of the genre.

To this day, I still don't know why turn-based combat fell out of favor with gamers. It can't be because it's "outdated," because action RPGs are just as old and turn-based. Fortunately, it's not entirely dead, as attested to by recent games like Dragon Quest 11, Persona 5, Bravely Default, and Octopath Traveler.

Edited to add titles I was reminded of.

That's an excellent post, my brother.

I'm also a turn based guy.

Classical Western Turn-based RPG. Too bad that genre pretty much died with Wizardry 8 in 2002...

Open world. I grew up on turn based though and I still enjoy them.

Open world RPGs are my thing, particularly WRPGs. Mass Effect, Fallout, The Outer Worlds, Deus Ex (if you can count it), and others. Turn-based RPGs could never catch my attention or interest, especially with how overly complicated a handful of them look.

Around the Network

Turn-based RPGs are the best easily, Dragon Quest has the best combat system, and the closer things are to that style, the more I like them. (Pokemon, Octopath etc. are great). Mystery Dungeon RPGs are on an equal footing with regular t-b RPGS for me. Strategy RPGs are fun too (particularly FE, XCOM and Into the Breach), but as a genre I don't generally enjoy them as much.

Open world games are by and large complete rubbish imo. Very easy way to get me to completely tune out, couldn't be less interested. I've strongly disliked most ARPGs I've ever played too (Ni No Kuni is about the only one I've liked).

Isometric RPG's with party mechanics is my all-time favorite. Love the combination of strategy, proper roleplaying and large worlds, the ability to pause is also welcome (not to mention essential for tough encounter). For anyone of the same mind, I highly recommend Pathfinder: Kingmaker, it has a very unique blend of genres and features city/nation management in addition to the excellent combat. There are still few, if any, gaming experiences that rival Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and the fantastic and underrated Icewind Dale games as well. Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights games, Pillars of Eternity, it's a genre full of classics and future classics. And it's in some ways the descendant of the old dungeon crawlers.

I also enjoy more narrative-driven open-world RPG's, but these are quite rare, and most of them are woefully short. One of my all-time favorite games belongs in this genre; Betrayal at Krondor, it's attributed with the invention, or at least implementation, of a slew of RPG mechanics still in use today.

Isometric ARPG's are also a favorite, Diablo, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege and even Path of Exile. On the flip side, I really dislike MMO's and most of their associated mechanics, and I really dislike how these mechanics have made their way into other genres as well over the past decade or so.

Overall, I'd say RPG's are my favorite genre, with its belonging sub-genres, it just yields so much bang for the buck. Lengthy and full of content, usually without resorting to repeating itself or becoming too stale.

That option for strategy should be replaced for TACTICAL, because all turn based rpgs are strategy ones. I don't have a preffered type. It just depends on how good the game is. I have all of those types among my top 5 favorite rpgs: Xenoblade and FF 12 (mixed), Tales of Symphonia (action), Pokemon (turn based) and FF Tactics (tactical).

According to this poll turn-based RPGs are no longer relevant. Oh wait....

You are missing "final fantasy" as a type, that is my favorite =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."