By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favorite type of RPG?

What is your favorite type of RPG?

Turn-Based RPGs 326 45.59%

Strategy RPGs 54 7.55%

Open World RPGS 266 37.20%

MMORPGs 22 3.08%

Other (please explain!) 47 6.57%

Total:715

Despite my favorite RPG series being action (Tales of), I generally lean more towards turn based ones.

I can pretty much play any kind tho, as long as it keeps me engaged.

Around the Network

Party based probably. What I mean by that is: Most FF games, Dragon Age, X-men Legends, ME to a point (even if it was turned into more of a shooter by the end). Essentially games where I can control over my party, can customise them to play in my way, easy switch between them, stuff like that.

In terms of actual gameplay, ATB turn based from FF is my favourite type, also enjoyed many other SquEnix RPGs from PS1 and PS2 era but sadly SquEnix haven't made one of those for a long time. Seems to be going out of their way to not make FF ATB games (or new RPG like those of that era) anymore for some reason, like the gameplay is dated and yet are releasing older games with revamped graphics because they know how popular they are. It's a weird contradiction. 

Hmm, pie.

Fantasy. DnD style, turn based preferred.
Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Arcanum, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, Pillars of Eternity.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Action RPG’s. For the most part, even there the amount of games I actually like is scarce and the other types occasionally have something I end up liking. I don’t like menus, or hundreds of buttons for abilities and traits. And if there’s too many numbers about buffs, attack rolls and modifiers and whatnot on the screen it lost me. I just want to attack and pick an outfit and maybe +1 a strength stat every once in a while. I do like dialogue choices. Basically an RPG needs to be like KotOR.

Honestly, I pretty much love em in all shapes and sizes. It just depends on exactly what I'm in the mood for. Japanese RPGs, for the most part, don't so much appeal to me, but that's more down to the the way they're written than the actual game mechanics.

In terms of open world, turn based, strategy, mmo, etc...it all comes down to execution for me. If you get it right, I can love all these just about equally. What's really most important for me is that there be great writing, great build diversity, and great player agency.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Fantasy. DnD style, turn based preferred.
Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Arcanum, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, Pillars of Eternity.

You have impeccable taste! Nice to see more folks who enjoyed Arcanum, it's unknown to most, and the setting was really something else.

Mummelmann said:

Nice to see more folks who enjoyed Arcanum, it's unknown to most, and the setting was really something else.

Well, to be honest, Arcanum was quite hard to miss if one was into computer RPGs back in those days. I liked it fine, though I'm not really fan of mixing magic and steampunk, but I feel it got overshadowed in 2001 by Gothic and Wizardry 8

Hard choice, but when I can't decide I try to take a look at my top 50 games and be objective about it.

50: Monster Hunter World PS4 Action
49: Crusader Kings 2 PC Strategy
47: Samurai Warriors PS2 Other/ Action
42: Fallout 4 PS4 Open World
41: Disgaea 5 PS4 Turn Based
40: Kingdom Under Fire XB Strategy
36: Dragon Quest XI PS4 Turn Based
33: Star Ocean til the end of time PS2 Action
32: Persona 5 PS4 Turn Based
22: The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind XB Open World
21: Dynasty Warriors 7 PS3 Other/ Action
20: Nioh PS4 Action
16: Kingdom Hearts PS2 Action
14: Romance of the three kingdoms VIII PS2 Other
13: Dynasty Tactics 2 PS2 Turn Based
12: Disgaea PS Turn based
11: Digimon World 2 PS1 Turn Based
10: Final Fantasy XII PS2 Turn based kind of
9: Dynasty Warriors 4 PS2 Other/ Action
5: Dynasty Warriors 3 PS2 Other/Action
4: Digimon World PS1 Other
3: Final Fantasy VIII PS1 Turn based
2: Final Fantasy X PS2 Turn based
1: World of Warcraft PC- MMORPG

On the one hand my #1 game is an MMORPG, on the other hand Turn Based takes up a large portion of my list. Other/ Action also takes up the other large portion of my list.

For now I think I have to give it to Turn based RPGs, but in recent times Turn based RPGs are slightly behind despite great games like DQXI and Persona 5.

HoloDust said:
Mummelmann said:

Nice to see more folks who enjoyed Arcanum, it's unknown to most, and the setting was really something else.

Well, to be honest, Arcanum was quite hard to miss if one was into computer RPGs back in those days. I liked it fine, though I'm not really fan of mixing magic and steampunk, but I feel it got overshadowed in 2001 by Gothic and Wizardry 8

It didn't garner much attention where I lived, still riding on the wave of the massive and epic BG2, it was sidelined by most. The console space was also accelerating at the time, gamer habits changed a lot in the early 2000's. Two of my favorite titles in the genre since the golden days are actually indie productions, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Divinity: Original Sin.

I miss Troika studios, they also made the only decent Vampire the Masquerade game back in the day. They also made the brilliant Temple of Elemental Evil, which was the first title I remember making proper use of the tactical aspects of the 3rd edition D&D rules.

I love both Turn-base and Open-world base, it just really depends on how well the developers create the system.