By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favorite type of RPG?

What is your favorite type of RPG?

Turn-Based RPGs 326 45.59%

Strategy RPGs 54 7.55%

Open World RPGS 266 37.20%

MMORPGs 22 3.08%

Other (please explain!) 47 6.57%

Total:715
JWeinCom said:
I generally like turn based combat, including SRPGS. When I'm playing action RPGs I feel like, in terms of combat at least, they're just less good action games. Whereas turn based games provide something distinct.

For me problem with action RPG  combat is actually not commiting to its core idea - being an RPG with skills and attributes that influence how your character behaves. This is why I keep bringing NBA2K (only sport game I play, but others might be as similar) - you, as a player, feel when your character has better skills in something and that makes you more eficient on court. From my limited knowledge I know of Exanima and SCUM that try to implement this direct approach (to certain extent Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines does this as well), but they are few and far between.

Around the Network

I used to prefer turn based when I was younger. But I prefer action RPGs now. The press and wait approach of turn based RPGs now feel archaic to me unless executed in a way where the action remains fast paced. Like FF XII or X-2.

One exception to that is for the tactical RPGs. In which I enjoy the strategic nature of movements and placements.

Darn, this is hard.

I think it should be MMORPG is my favorite type of RPG since i love playing with my guildmates for memes, raiding, Role Playing events, dungeons and festival events a lot.

Action-RPG, Computer-RPG, and Tactical RPG are also my favorites type of RPG lol.

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 20 February 2020