By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch at the start of 2020: what franchise is your most amazed No Show

I'm surprised the Switch got no COD games, we had Call of Duty on the Wii U for two years and the Wii U was a complete dud, even on the DS and mobile they got some type of COD. I'm surprised the hot and more than capable Switch go zero COD games.

I'm also surprised we got no Mario 3D World Port, most Wii U games at this point got ported over or sequels, and since 3D world was an amazing game that was limited on being on the Wii U. I'd assume Nintendo would port it over eventually, especially since we got a whole 3D world style in MM2 and a Captain Toad port which uses the exact same engine as 3D world. But Nintendo never ported it over

I'm surprised we saw no GTA since Rockstar ported over a much smaller scale LA Noire game to the Switch instead of the selling juggernaut that's GTA. And the Switch is more than capable to run GTA5 since 7th Gen consoles were able to handle it.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Nu-13 said:

The only way to improve 2d stuff is redrawing it. So 2d games can only be remade, not remastered.

2D stuff can absolutely be improved with no redrawing.  Take a look at Smash Melee running on Dolphin. Nobody redrew those models.

Also, remaster does not strictly refer to visuals.  You can leave the visuals entirely alone and rebalance the gameplay, fix bugs, change the audio up, or otherwise improve a game while leaving the original source code mainly in tact. 

Seriously? smash isn't 2d. remasters are strictly about improved resolution/fps/effects. Sure, a remaster could include minor changes like you mentioned but those don't make a remaster.

I think I might have become xonditioned to not expwct 3ed parties on nintendo plarforms unless theyre old ports. Thats mostly been accurate. One I am a little surprised about is borderlands. Seema like the art artstyle would be doable on the system and those games on the go would be fun.

I am gonna have to go with Chrono Trigger/Cross on this one. Chrono Trigger in particular was a timeless classic that initially released on the SNES. The game has show up on multiple systems since then, including the DS. There is still time that it could at least show up in the Nintendo Online Package, but I personally would like to see it released in a dual pack with Chrono Cross.

Chrono Cross in general is ready for a remaster. Having only been released physically on the Playstation One and made available in the online store of the PS3 and VITA, it is time to bring this game to more people. It has never seen an official release in Europe, which is a true same, as it is truly a great game and a true sequel to Chrono Trigger (albeit not a direct sequel). However seeing the Final Fantasy games come over with 8 getting a fresh coat of paint leaves me hopeful that Chrono Cross could soon be on the way as well.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Nu-13 said:
JWeinCom said:

2D stuff can absolutely be improved with no redrawing.  Take a look at Smash Melee running on Dolphin. Nobody redrew those models.

Also, remaster does not strictly refer to visuals.  You can leave the visuals entirely alone and rebalance the gameplay, fix bugs, change the audio up, or otherwise improve a game while leaving the original source code mainly in tact. 

Seriously? smash isn't 2d. remasters are strictly about improved resolution/fps/effects. Sure, a remaster could include minor changes like you mentioned but those don't make a remaster.

Oh, no wonder I'm bad at Melee.  Apparently there's a 3rd dimension I never realized I could travel into.  How do I do that?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Nu-13 said:

Oh, no wonder I'm bad at Melee.  Apparently there's a 3rd dimension I never realized I could travel into.  How do I do that?

Remaking art assets for 2D clearly meant 2D graphics. All Smash games had always 3D graphics, even though they have 2D gameplay. And with 3D you have uch more option for scaling it for different reolution by tech, without redoing anything.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

JWeinCom said:
Nu-13 said:

The only way to improve 2d stuff is redrawing it. So 2d games can only be remade, not remastered.

Absolutely right. You can improve 2D art without redrawing.

Some art can scale indefinitely upwards. I.E. Vectorization.

Otherwise simple upscaling with various de-noising, sharpening etc' algorithms can enhance an image significantly.

A.I upscaling is a thing these days as well, which leverages neural networks... It's used rather extensively in the PC modding community at the moment to give a new lease of life for old 2D game textures.

For example here is one from morrowind:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/12/ai-enhanced-morrowind-is-looking-very-good/

Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:

Remaking art assets for 2D clearly meant 2D graphics. All Smash games had always 3D graphics, even though they have 2D gameplay. And with 3D you have uch more option for scaling it for different reolution by tech, without redoing anything.

Smash uses allot of 2D sprites/assets.

Textures tend to be 2D images anyway, laid on top of a 3D model.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--