By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony paid $229 million for Insomniac

Intrinsic said:
Bandorr said:

Sarcasm? I can't actually tell. 5 years 9 months is a really weird number.

I am actually serious. I had to find an article covering it. Sony actually has the rights for over 80 marvel characters as long as they release a movie every 5yrs and 9 months lol. Spiderman, Venom...etc

That's interesting read a similar article the only difference was Sony have Spiderman and  900 characters but those were related to the spider verse, are the 80 separate?

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Otter said:

They're such a consistent studio quality wise and they seem to be super efficient. They've produced like 4 AAA games this generation seemingly without any massive delays and always delivered a super polished product at the end, which feels loved and not just pumped out by a massive machine. Ratchet is still probably the best looking platformer of the generation and that game is like 4 years old.

Also I'm not sure some you have a fix on how much game studios cost.

Man I really hope there is a Ratchet & Clank for PS5 launch line-up. Marvel Spider-Man 2 is a given.

It's such a large sum of money and we know so little about this kind of stuff that it seems silly to say whether it's a good or bad deal kind of like MS and Mojang. None of us know the going rate for development teams lol.

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

3 gens in VGC and you still think MS will put a lot of money of other areas into Xbox? Ok.

Yes Sony have a legacy of milking same IPs right? If they so much wanted they could keep Insomniac feed with unnused IPs for like another 3 gens.

I forgot you know the details of the contract and if it will be a good deal to Sony. Sony had to invest almost all money needed to make the game and the studio would receive a cut from the sales. Sony basically paid to whatever they invest be theirs (much better to invest in yourself than on others) and all profit be theirs as well, considering RC and SM that seems a logical move, Insomniac have been quite stable on launches and quality so a very safe and sound investment.

Being worth a lot isn't the same as having a lot of money on their pockets or assuming risks for new products. They got funding from publishers and didn't turn good. You see to be talking a lot of things you don't know about.

Please show us how much MS made of the plenty of Rare IPs for you to consider the studio having a lot of IPs the important aspect. Naughty Dog and other studios from Sony dropped a lot of successful IPs and haven't developed them anymore.

My sensitivity is towards your lack of knowledge to judge it being too much, but seems like mohjang was the purchase of the century.

Not all studios are available to everyone to buy, still waiting for MS to use all that infinite money to buy EA, Acti, Ubi, Taketwon, etc.

"You still think MS will put a lot of money of other areas into Xbox." What does that even mean?

I was suggesting they evidently bought Insomniac to make Spiderman and maybe Ratchet and Clank. Maybe even a Resistance reboot. But they might have other stuff too.

The rest of your thoughts are rambling. MS could have certainly bought Insomniac for less than EA, Acti, Ubi, etc.

I saw you trying to make a joke on Sony making more money than MS, while it is Playstation versus Xbox. So if Xbox can buy 10 studios then Playstation can buy 20. Simple as that.

You are suggesting wrong, Sony have been trying to buy then since long ago. They trust the dev and Sony allows freedom for developers and likes new IPs. So nope you are assuming very wrong.

Doesn't MS have much more money than Sony? So why haven't they bought these giant companies?

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Although I think Sony have better strategy on console I don't think MS is dumb (yes they made several mistakes in hindsight but well who could really assure that wouldn't work? Console market is like 200M people, what certainty do we have about the 6B that don't buy consoles? The only certainty is that current tactics haven't made they buy consoles).

So the studios they bought they probably paid the right price, sure some were a little more than what should be (premium) and others they saved from closure (so probably cheaper). I do expect they have either some good new IPs mixed with some famous IPs improved with better financial health available to dev.

All in all I'm eager to see if MS will entice me to consider XSX (played X360 a lot start of gen with friends and liked the 4k BD idea for X1S and the power of X1X, but with lack of exclusives I couldn't justify buying it), if they can at least make me consider the console that would mean for whoever is already a Xbox fan then they will have a blast of a good time.

Curious and serious question, do you game on PC? 

Very little, why?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
LurkerJ said:
An obscene amount of money for a studio that has not made an original system-seller-kind-of-IP since forever. Spider-man isn't theirs, once Marvel chooses to give it to another developer, you'll be left with forgotten IPs.

Dude was really banned for this? wow

That post sounds quite like an exaggeration, but was that baiting and offensive?

I don't know what the bloke has been posting before that, but I'm quite the Sony fan and didn't get it that way.

VGC keeps getting scarier.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

"You still think MS will put a lot of money of other areas into Xbox." What does that even mean?

I was suggesting they evidently bought Insomniac to make Spiderman and maybe Ratchet and Clank. Maybe even a Resistance reboot. But they might have other stuff too.

The rest of your thoughts are rambling. MS could have certainly bought Insomniac for less than EA, Acti, Ubi, etc.

I saw you trying to make a joke on Sony making more money than MS, while it is Playstation versus Xbox. So if Xbox can buy 10 studios then Playstation can buy 20. Simple as that.

You are suggesting wrong, Sony have been trying to buy then since long ago. They trust the dev and Sony allows freedom for developers and likes new IPs. So nope you are assuming very wrong.

Doesn't MS have much more money than Sony? So why haven't they bought these giant companies?

Azzanation said:

Curious and serious question, do you game on PC? 

Very little, why?

The money that gets invested into Playstation and Xbox is not based entirely on what those platforms bring in. My joke was really on your thought process.

For example MS didn't buy Mojang to make exclusives, so I am not sure why that was ever brought up in this thread. The benefits of having Minecraft weren't just for Xbox consoles.

I feel a big reason MS suddenly began pouring money into studios and real 1st party content (less dependence on 3rd parties) is much about quality control and the added PC support, Game Pass and xCloud. The Xbox brand isn't just about the console anymore, revenue should increase and projects become less risky.

I dont think its a coincidence that Insomniac made a huge game, with an IP they dont own, and suddenly they get purchased. I think this the first time Sony truly desired to own that studio. And again, its a purchase that seemingly only made sense for Sony.

MS has bought huge companies outside of gaming. The Mojang purchase may have been among the biggest in gaming. My real point is why are comparing Insomniac to EA, Activision and Ubisoft? Insomniac is worth a tiny fraction in comparison partly because it came with no significant IPs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Very little, why?

The money that gets invested into Playstation and Xbox is not based entirely on what those platforms bring in. My joke was really on your thought process.

For example MS didn't buy Mojang to make exclusives, so I am not sure why that was ever brought up in this thread. The benefits of having Minecraft weren't just for Xbox consoles.

I feel a big reason MS suddenly began pouring money into studios and real 1st party content (less dependence on 3rd parties) is much about quality control and the added PC support, Game Pass and xCloud. The Xbox brand isn't just about the console anymore, revenue should increase and projects become less risky.

I dont think its a coincidence that Insomniac made a huge game, with an IP they dont own, and suddenly they get purchased. I think this the first time Sony truly desired to own that studio. And again, its a purchase that seemingly only made sense for Sony.

MS has bought huge companies outside of gaming. The Mojang purchase may have been among the biggest in gaming. My real point is why are comparing Insomniac to EA, Activision and Ubisoft? Insomniac is worth a tiny fraction in comparison partly because it came with no significant IPs.

Mohjang was brought first because is was like 10x the value and second because several people decided to claim it was a bad move because they didn't need to buy Insomniac to have games launched on PS (see that I didn't even put the other developers that MS bought that already launched their games on MS system).

Gamespass, Xcloud and game anywhere didn't need MS buying devs since 3rd party games were already present on these. And QC I would find it funny since they haven't done it for their games on their current exclusives.

You can think whatever you want, Sony already tried several times in the past and Insomniac didn't want, possibly either Sony paid more or Insomniac saw that their games launched not exclusively on Playstation didn't do wave and that they could be in trouble in the near future so they decided to finally go to Sony.

We are comparing Insomniac to EA because you seem to believe that MS having a lot more money than Sony and that they would use that in gaming (same stuff was said on X360 and X1, never truly happened) to buy their win on console, so they could have bought all these companies but never did. Why? Because console gaming needs to be profitable by itself and have its own budget, and on those terms Playstation make much more money than Xbox. Thus if Playstation wanted they could have bought at least twice as many similar sized devs as Xbox could. Or do you think neither have enough money to buy Ubi if they really thought that was the right move?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Mohjang was brought first because is was like 10x the value and second because several people decided to claim it was a bad move because they didn't need to buy Insomniac to have games launched on PS (see that I didn't even put the other developers that MS bought that already launched their games on MS system).

Gamespass, Xcloud and game anywhere didn't need MS buying devs since 3rd party games were already present on these. And QC I would find it funny since they haven't done it for their games on their current exclusives.

You can think whatever you want, Sony already tried several times in the past and Insomniac didn't want, possibly either Sony paid more or Insomniac saw that their games launched not exclusively on Playstation didn't do wave and that they could be in trouble in the near future so they decided to finally go to Sony.

We are comparing Insomniac to EA because you seem to believe that MS having a lot more money than Sony and that they would use that in gaming (same stuff was said on X360 and X1, never truly happened) to buy their win on console, so they could have bought all these companies but never did. Why? Because console gaming needs to be profitable by itself and have its own budget, and on those terms Playstation make much more money than Xbox. Thus if Playstation wanted they could have bought at least twice as many similar sized devs as Xbox could. Or do you think neither have enough money to buy Ubi if they really thought that was the right move?

Well I didnt say buying Insomniac was a bad move personally, I am just surprised how much they paid. That is enough to trigger people to attack MS.

I am not going to entertain your dumb MS jabs, but I feel MS is making good moves in regard to 1st party software, in quantity and quality. Which is good to get more people using their platforms and services.

Again, Insomniac shouldn't be compared to significantly bigger companies that actually own significant libraries and IPs. It also not a coincidence it was sold after making a big game with an IP they don't own.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Well I didnt say buying Insomniac was a bad move personally, I am just surprised how much they paid. That is enough to trigger people to attack MS.

I am not going to entertain your dumb MS jabs, but I feel MS is making good moves in regard to 1st party software, in quantity and quality. Which is good to get more people using their platforms and services.

Again, Insomniac shouldn't be compared to significantly bigger companies that actually own significant libraries and IPs. It also not a coincidence it was sold after making a big game with an IP they don't own.

If you pay to much then it is a bad move. Simple as that.

Is it a jab to say they haven't done good on QC? Look at the reception of their games. You are the one who said they needed to buy these studios to improve their QC and to have on their service, first is wrong and second is unnecessary.

You'll insist on the same stuff so I won't keep on it.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If you pay to much then it is a bad move. Simple as that.

Is it a jab to say they haven't done good on QC? Look at the reception of their games. You are the one who said they needed to buy these studios to improve their QC and to have on their service, first is wrong and second is unnecessary.

You'll insist on the same stuff so I won't keep on it.

So you're bothered by people being surprised it sold for that much? My advice, get over it.

I think "QC" has been mixed with MS, you're suggesting its worse than it actually is. I could also say the same thing about Sony games, there have been mediocre games. Not really interested in that debate though.

Recently Completed