By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony paid $229 million for Insomniac

DonFerrari said:
Keiji said:

I don't want to be mean when I say that but when I see the majority of the games you played based on your signature, I feel the same.

I usually just avoid further replies when someone try to go for personal attack when their motives are exposed.

I am very impressed by how evolved you are.

I was surprised how much Sony paid. So that naturally opened the door for you to piss and moan about MS? Your motive is generally defend/praise Sony and attack MS. Honestly, I rarely see much else from you.

I really just don't respect your views. Probably because I play on all platforms and have no significant bias. I can't relate with someone who only seems to praise Sony.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Keiji said:

I don't want to be mean when I say that but when I see the majority of the games you played based on your signature, I feel the same.

I think that's more asinine than mean. Elaborate, tell me what I should be playing.

I kinda just jump around different games recently. I own pretty much every major release on X1 and PS4, just haven't cared enough to finish them.

I recently just started playing Gears 5 and I am impressed. Even though that's a low quality game according to Don.

You play whatever you want, no problem. It's just in the future I don't see us talking about the games we played. I have the opposite taste of the games you play . I don't like FPS for example unless it's Cyberpunk 2077, Deus Ex or DOOM (because DOOM is hilarious and it's not a serious game).

Mr Puggsly said:
Keiji said:

I think that's more asinine than mean. Elaborate, tell me what I should be playing.

I kinda just jump around different games recently. I own pretty much every major release on X1 and PS4, just haven't cared enough to finish them.

I recently just started playing Gears 5 and I am impressed. Even though that's a low quality game according to Don.

Have no Idea where I have made review for Gears 5 could you point that to me? Still if that is your best example of quality from MS (we have plenty of lower) it would still be lower than Sony.

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

I usually just avoid further replies when someone try to go for personal attack when their motives are exposed.

I was surprised how much Sony paid. So that naturally opened the door for you to piss and moan about MS? Your motive is generally defend/praise Sony and attack MS. Honestly, I rarely see much else from you.

I really just don't respect your views. Probably because I play on all platforms and have no significant bias. I can't relate with someone who only seems to praise Sony.

Would you say you show anything else besides attack Sony and praise MS (won't even remark your attempt to make a stealth fanboy accusation)? Woooowww interesting.

Nope you weren't "surprised", you made question to devaluate the dev together with it. And as I said I won't entertain you, and sure say to yourself you have no BIAS as some other well know members on this forum that everybody know full well of their Bias.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Keiji said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You play whatever you want, no problem. It's just in the future I don't see us talking about the games we played. I have the opposite taste of the games you play . I don't like FPS for example unless it's Cyberpunk 2077, Deus Ex or DOOM (because DOOM is hilarious and it's not a serious game).

There ya go, I wish you started with a response like this. Much better than a blanket statement that I just play bad games. I play or try lots of games, but I only mention and score what I finish.

You like Cyberpunk 2077? Didn't realize it was out yet. I hope I will like it as well.

I've played the original Deus Ex but didn't care for it. The 7th gen Deus Ex though I very much enjoyed.

I completed the Doom reboot. I think I gave it a 4/5. I felt the levels were so big and required so much exploration to find hidden things that I kinda got bored. Still an exceptional game though for what it is.

If you look in my profile there is a much longer list of games I finished over the years I've been on this site. It's a lot of variety on many platforms. I am not somebody just dickriding a company. I also dabble around my backlog so I play old games as well.

I actually played a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and AC Odyssey, but I won't score them until I actually finish them.

I have other hobbies, so sometimes I kinda just want games that jump right into action without tons of narrative. Action games in the FPS genre can be good for that.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Keiji said:

There ya go, I wish you started with a response like this. Much better than a blanket statement that I just play bad games. I play or try lots of games, but I only mention and score what I finish.

You like Cyberpunk 2077? Didn't realize it was out yet. I hope I will like it as well.

I've played the original Deus Ex but didn't care for it. The 7th gen Deus Ex though I very much enjoyed.

I completed the Doom reboot. I think I gave it a 4/5. I felt the levels were so big and required so much exploration to find hidden things that I kinda got bored. Still an exceptional game though for what it is.

If you look in my profile there is a much longer list of games I finished over the years I've been on this site. It's a lot of variety on many platforms. I am not somebody just dickriding a company. I also dabble around my backlog so I play old games as well.

I actually played a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and AC Odyssey, but I won't score them until I actually finish them.

I have other hobbies, so sometimes I kinda just want games that jump right into action without tons of narrative. Action games in the FPS genre can be good for that.

You know what I meant for Cyberpunk. 

"I have other hobbies, so sometimes I kinda just want games that jump right into action without tons of narrative. Action games in the FPS genre can be good for that."

I can understand that.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
LurkerJ said:
An obscene amount of money for a studio that has not made an original system-seller-kind-of-IP since forever. Spider-man isn't theirs, once Marvel chooses to give it to another developer, you'll be left with forgotten IPs.

Dude was really banned for this? wow

Thanks...

Maybe expanding my point and putting in context by making a comprehensive list of Insomniac IPs would help convince those who reported me?

• Spyro and Ratchet are almost two decades old at this point, one of them isn't in SONY's hands anymore.
  • Ratchet games definitely have their fan-base but I really doubt anyone here considers them proper system-sellers, definitely not on the level of Naughty Dogs' games.
  • Resistance, I liked the first one, everything else sucked, and the franchise is on a definitive hiatus for a reason.
  • Fuse. An objectively terrible experience. 
  • Sunset Overdrive. VGC puts its total sales a bit over 1m, not a system seller. 
  • Song of the Deep, few know it exists.
  • Spiderman, not an original IP & not SONY's, we're talking about the game here, not the movie! It's Disney's. 

Once you take out spider-man off the list, you're really left with is the R&C studio that made a bunch of other forgotten IPs, not to mention, R&C always belonged to PS platforms anyway. They could've bought Atlus for this kind of money, a studio that would've added much needed diversity to their line-up, and a hardcore fanbase on top of it. Or perhaps throw more cash at ND to expand their teams because they obviously have talents that consistently deliver. 

I fail how to see my opinion is "salty" or a "bait", I think it's a bad deal, just like I think SONY struck gold with the deal that secured FF7r for PS platforms for one year. I have fiercely & recently defended that deal from those who downplayed it on this very forum. @twintail you're the only one who replied to my post with a reasonable answer, if SONY is fishing for VR-experience studios, which are few and far between, I guess this deal makes sense to get PSVR to the next level. 

Ratchet & Clank > Marvel Spider-Man.

But I will take both of them.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Have no Idea where I have made review for Gears 5 could you point that to me? Still if that is your best example of quality from MS (we have plenty of lower) it would still be lower than Sony.

Mr Puggsly said:

Would you say you show anything else besides attack Sony and praise MS (won't even remark your attempt to make a stealth fanboy accusation)? Woooowww interesting.

Nope you weren't "surprised", you made question to devaluate the dev together with it. And as I said I won't entertain you, and sure say to yourself you have no BIAS as some other well know members on this forum that everybody know full well of their Bias.

You essentialy said the only quality games from MS were Forza and Cuphead. Hence, Gears 5 not on your quality list.

Also, I don't care to compare Sony and MS games directly. In the case of Gears 5, Sony doesen't have anything comprable. I've said many times I think both have strengths we don't quite see from the other.

When MS purchased studios, I was confused by some given a lack a notable content. Some seemed good given a quality record and IPs.

I was simply surprised Sony paid that much for a studio with strong record and no big IPs. If anything, it shows Sony's confidence in that studio and likely wants more sequels.

I am not arguing I have no bias, you just have a tendency to beat people over the head with yours. It's why I often ignore you, you're a one trick pony when it comes to MS discussion.

Recently Completed

LurkerJ said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Dude was really banned for this? wow

Thanks...

Maybe expanding my point and putting in context by making a comprehensive list of Insomniac IPs would help convince those who reported me?

• Spyro and Ratchet are almost two decades old at this point, one of them isn't in SONY's hands anymore.
  • Ratchet games definitely have their fan-base but I really doubt anyone here considers them proper system-sellers, definitely not on the level of Naughty Dogs' games.
  • Resistance, I liked the first one, everything else sucked, and the franchise is on a definitive hiatus for a reason.
  • Fuse. An objectively terrible experience. 
  • Sunset Overdrive. VGC puts its total sales a bit over 1m, not a system seller. 
  • Song of the Deep, few know it exists.
  • Spiderman, not an original IP & not SONY's, we're talking about the game here, not the movie! It's Disney's. 

Once you take out spider-man off the list, you're really left with is the R&C studio that made a bunch of other forgotten IPs, not to mention, R&C always belonged to PS platforms anyway. They could've bought Atlus for this kind of money, a studio that would've added much needed diversity to their line-up, and a hardcore fanbase on top of it. Or perhaps throw more cash at ND to expand their teams because they obviously have talents that consistently deliver. 

I fail how to see my opinion is "salty" or a "bait", I think it's a bad deal, just like I think SONY struck gold with the deal that secured FF7r for PS platforms for one year. I have fiercely & recently defended that deal from those who downplayed it on this very forum. @twintail you're the only one who replied to my post with a reasonable answer, if SONY is fishing for VR-experience studios, which are few and far between, I guess this deal makes sense to get PSVR to the next level. 

You should have done this with your first post instead of using inflammatory words like obscene and not adding your reasoning , but never to late.

Now I'm not going to change your mind it seems rather set, but like i've already posted it's obvious that Spiderman was the driving force behind this deal.

While it's Marvel who own the game rights, lets not forget they approached Sony and effectively gave them carte blanche over what IP they wanted to use, so they had faith that Sony could turn their property into more than the usual multiplat tie in and Sony approached Insomniac with the same offer and they chose Spiderman and turned out a game that has sold well over 13 million units , surpassing all expectations, now they aren't paying out for the pre Spiderman  Insomniac, they are obviously satisfied about the future of Spiderman within the company , the deal for Disney to take a 25% stake in production of the movies and cementing crossover between the MCU and Spiderman along with Marvels approach shows that the parties now have a long term relationship.

The sale means that Sony gets a well managed developer whose history with Sony means they have the  relationships in place to hit the ground running as a 1st party studio and most importantly they have locked in the talent, Insomniac gets away from the boom and bust cycle of independent developing  and will like Guerilla and  other 1st parties get the opportunity to nurture future IP with less  constraints than when they were independent , I'm sure due diligence from both parties ensured a fair price, sure it would have been a premium paid but not an obscene one over earlier buyout offers made pre Spiderman but that's to be expected.

I would like to point out that Spyro was never owned by Sony or for that matter Insomniac,they were approached by Mark Cerny head of the newly created Universal Interactive because they like Naughty Dog were leasing studio space at the Universal lot,needing content Cerny offered funding for their next game regardless of what it was just to get content, in return Universal gained the rights, so those IP became Universals IP before they were made.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot