By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony paid $229 million for Insomniac

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

If you pay to much then it is a bad move. Simple as that.

Is it a jab to say they haven't done good on QC? Look at the reception of their games. You are the one who said they needed to buy these studios to improve their QC and to have on their service, first is wrong and second is unnecessary.

You'll insist on the same stuff so I won't keep on it.

So you're bothered by people being surprised it sold for that much? My advice, get over it.

I think "QC" has been mixed with MS, you're suggesting its worse than it actually is. I could also say the same thing about Sony games, there have been mediocre games. Not really interested in that debate though.

It's obvious that Spiderman was forefront in the sale of Insomniac, after Marvel's proposal Insomniac was offered the same choice of any Marvel IP, they then made a huge hit from Spiderman an IP they chose and 13 plus million sales are rare so Sony was obviously keen for this to continue. after all they went to Insomniac with the initial proposal based on their track record,so the success of spiderman combined with Insomniac's reliance on contract work and trouble making their own IP self sustaining, something that has affected numerous independent studios , meant there was a perfect storm in regard to a sale.

In some ways they follow Naughty dogs footprints except a couple of decades later both made games on the same lot, crash and spyro sharing and updating the same game engine both involved the same type of deal brokered by Mark Cerny, that Universal Interactive being new and needing content would fund their next game with the knowledge that neither party at that time had a game in the works but in return wanted the IP ,so the IP were sold before they were made, the rest is history, now Insomniac can focus on Spider Man 2 and being first party look at making other IP. like its old mate

Now value like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, considering the milestone bonus that most developers work under can see some payments in the hundred million plus for 10 to 20 million sellers and along with this their new 1st party already has most of the connections in place to hit the ground running so a proven developer with good management with historical alignment,bought to continue driving what is now a big franchise also why not a given you have the potential of any future IP being improved under Sony all those things, plus the due diligence that is undertaken when making these purchases means that it most likely was priced about right, same goes for Mojang  MS like Sony would have done it's due diligence and the potential for it to remain a strong brand for decades across multiple platforms means its price wasn't high, the 2.5 billion may well end up being a bargain.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 12 February 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

So you're bothered by people being surprised it sold for that much? My advice, get over it.

I think "QC" has been mixed with MS, you're suggesting its worse than it actually is. I could also say the same thing about Sony games, there have been mediocre games. Not really interested in that debate though.

It's obvious that Spiderman was forefront in the sale of Insomniac, after Marvel's proposal too Sony, Insomniac was offered the same choice of Marvel IP, they then made a huge hit from a IP they chose and 13 plus million sales are rare so Sony was obviously keen for this to continue. after all they went to Insomniac with the initial proposal based on their track record,so the success of spiderman combined with Insomniac's reliance on contract work and trouble making their own IP self sustaining, something that has affected numerous independent studios , meant there was a perfect storm in regard to a sale.

In some ways they follow Naughty dogs footprints except a couple of decades later both made games on the same lot, crash and spyro sharing and updating the same game engine both involved the same type of deal brokered by Mark Cerny, that Universal Interactive being new and needing content would fund their next game with the knowledge that neither party at that time had a game in the works but in return wanted the IP ,so the IP were sold before they were made, the rest is history, now Insomniac can focus on Spider Man 2 and being first party look at making other IP. like its old mate

Now value is like beauty in the eye of the beholder, considering the milestone bonus that most developers work under can see some payments in the hundred million plus for 10 to 20 million sellers along with this is their new 1st party already has most of the connections in place to hit the ground running so a proven developer with good management with historical alignment,bought to continue driving what is now a big franchise also why not a given you have the potential of any future IP being improved under Sony all those things, plus the due diligence that is undertaken when making these purchases means that it most likely was priced about right, same goes for Mojang  MS like Sony would have done it's due diligence and the potential for it remain a strong brand for decades across multiple platforms means its price wasn't high, the 2.5 billion may well end up being a bargain.

I agree with you. I just thought Sony would pay less given their leverage to begin with. In the end it will certainly be a worthwhile purchase, its not really a debate.

Also, good job demonstrating how respond without becoming defensive and taking dumb jabs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DonFerrari said:

Azzanation said:

Curious and serious question, do you game on PC? 

Very little, why?

Than there are plenty of Xbox exclusives for you to play.

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

If you pay to much then it is a bad move. Simple as that.

Is it a jab to say they haven't done good on QC? Look at the reception of their games. You are the one who said they needed to buy these studios to improve their QC and to have on their service, first is wrong and second is unnecessary.

You'll insist on the same stuff so I won't keep on it.

Bothered by your reasoning.

Mixed? Besides Forza and perhaps Cuphead their games have had many issues and critical reception show that. Sure there have some mediocre games from Sony, but if you want to put both to compare you'll leave in defeat.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Very little, why?

Than there are plenty of Xbox exclusives for you to play.

I know that, still I prefer consoles to play =] well let's see next gen how things will work out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Bothered by your reasoning.

Mixed? Besides Forza and perhaps Cuphead their games have had many issues and critical reception show that. Sure there have some mediocre games from Sony, but if you want to put both to compare you'll leave in defeat.

If that's the only notable content you can think of, this is exactly why you aren't worth talking to about that topic.

You also have the impression I would argue MS had a better library or something. You completely miss the point as usual, you just aren't worth having a real discussion with.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

you just aren't worth having a real discussion with.

I don't want to be mean when I say that but when I see the majority of the games you played based on your signature, I feel the same.

Keiji said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't want to be mean when I say that but when I see the majority of the games you played based on your signature, I feel the same.

I usually just avoid further replies when someone try to go for personal attack when their motives are exposed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Radek said:
Keiji said:

Inb4 you are banned for saying that lol, but I kinda agree. Matter of taste.

Wait seriously ? I didn't say that to get banned and I didn't even want to attack him or whatever, if I'm banned about this it would be ridiculous. I'm just talking about what you said : matter of taste. And his taste are clearly not the same as mine.

Radek said:
Keiji said:

Wait seriously ? I didn't say that to get banned and I didn't even want to attack him or whatever, if I'm banned about this it would be ridiculous. I'm just talking about what you said : matter of taste. And his taste are clearly not the same as mine.

I don't know but I've been banned for less, all I'm saying.

Do people realise how much effort I do to not talk about Final Fantasy VII Remake and not posting gif etc...

Last edited by Keiji - on 13 February 2020

Keiji said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think that's more asinine than mean. Elaborate, tell me what I should be playing.

I kinda just jump around different games recently. I own pretty much every major release on X1 and PS4, just haven't cared enough to finish them.

I recently just started playing Gears 5 and I am impressed. Even though that's a low quality game according to Don.

Recently Completed