By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 1 February 2020

Mnementh said:
Dyotropic said:

Europe is such a difficult market for switch. Mario Kart sells well there and not much else. I think the solution is as simple as making a switch exclusive soccer game. 

This is basically a wrong impression. Switch isn't particularly weak in Europe. It only seems that way, as PS4 is particularly strong in europe and weak everywhere else.

From the numbers of the current week taken from the OP:

As you can see, Switch is more or less balanced between the regions, but PS4 is mostly weak besides europe and XBox One is basically only strong in the Americas. This lopsided view let it seem like europe would be a weak region for Switch, but it sells there only little less than in the americas. In reality the other manufacturers all rely mostly on one region.

And yes, europe is a little weaker, but it has still a similar share of sales for Switch as america has for PS4.

The PS4 numbers scale almost perfectly with the approximate population of each region. 

Around the Network
Dyotropic said:
Mnementh said:

This is basically a wrong impression. Switch isn't particularly weak in Europe. It only seems that way, as PS4 is particularly strong in europe and weak everywhere else.

From the numbers of the current week taken from the OP:

As you can see, Switch is more or less balanced between the regions, but PS4 is mostly weak besides europe and XBox One is basically only strong in the Americas. This lopsided view let it seem like europe would be a weak region for Switch, but it sells there only little less than in the americas. In reality the other manufacturers all rely mostly on one region.

And yes, europe is a little weaker, but it has still a similar share of sales for Switch as america has for PS4.

The PS4 numbers scale almost perfectly with the approximate population of each region. 

What? I am not aware of what the tracking regions of VGC exactly are, but:

• the americas have 1 billion inhabitants = 580M (NA) + 420M (SA)
  • asia has 4.5 billion inhabitants
  • europe has 750 million inhabitants

Yet PS4 sells most in europe and least in asia.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Dyotropic said:
zorg1000 said:

By your logic the entire European market is underperforming based on population.

Europe has 741 million people while North America+Japan has 707 million people so pretty even.

Now let's look at this weeks numbers with all consoles combined.

NA+Japan-~230k

Europe-~160k

The European gaming market must be really weak if NA+Japan is almost 50% higher with a smaller population.

No compare the ratio of PS4 to Switch sales in Europe and then for the rest of world. That way you are using the PS4 sales as a representation of the gaming market in Europe. Also use lifetime sales and not weekly. It all gives you the same trend though. 

Switch marketshare per region

NA-~55%

EU-~45%

RotW-~45%

JP-~90%

Marketshare wise Switch is pretty similar in NA, EU & RotW, the only region with a massive difference is JP where it pretty much has a monopoly.

Like Rol said a few posts back, PS4 & XBO fight over the same demographics so their sales are dependent on one another. In NA these consoles are competitive while in EU PS4 dominates XBO, that is why it looks like Switch is doing very strong in NA but modestly in EU but the reality is that Switch is doing strong in EU and PS4 just does better because XBO does so poorly.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Dyotropic said:

UK is the biggest market in "Europe" by far, so I don't put much wight on the other countries.  The PS4 is still competing with the switch in Europe, while it is dead everywhere else.  

No it's not, Germany and France are comparable to UK and even if UK was significantly bigger that's a very dumb way to look at Europe as a whole.

PS4 doing strong in Europe does not mean Switch isnt also doing very well there.

First time I hear Switch is doing bad in Europe.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mnementh said:
Dyotropic said:

Asia should not include China. North America should not include south america. The sales data places is not tracked well in those regions because there isn't a market for consoles in those regions.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Dyotropic said:

No compare the ratio of PS4 to Switch sales in Europe and then for the rest of world. That way you are using the PS4 sales as a representation of the gaming market in Europe. Also use lifetime sales and not weekly. It all gives you the same trend though. 

Switch marketshare per region

NA-~55%

EU-~45%

RotW-~45%

JP-~90%

Marketshare wise Switch is pretty similar in NA, EU & RotW, the only region with a massive difference is JP where it pretty much has a monopoly.

Like Rol said a few posts back, PS4 & XBO fight over the same demographics so their sales are dependent on one another. In NA these consoles are competitive while in EU PS4 dominates XBO, that is why it looks like Switch is doing very strong in NA but modestly in EU but the reality is that Switch is doing strong in EU and PS4 just does better because XBO does so poorly.

I would say that it is strange that X1 "does better" than Switch in Europe, but that is only because their Japan is neglible so it basically just the difference between total minus USA.

And yes, PS4 have been like 1/3 spread on USA, EU, Japan+RoW... the fact that the curve is holding stronger in Europe than other markets don't make neither PS4 weak outside of Europe nor Switch weak in Europe, that is just a silly analysis based on the distribution of sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The Switch is entering the midway part of its cycle and in its prime at the moment. It still can't outsell PS4 in Europe at the end of its lifecycle. That's all anyone is going to see.

Blood_Tears said:
The Switch is entering the midway part of its cycle and in its prime at the moment. It still can't outsell PS4 in Europe at the end of its lifecycle. That's all anyone is going to see.

People see that it is doing well in the US and Japan, but that success does not extend to Europe. 

OTBWY said:
Dyotropic said:
I'm trying to say the switch should make a soccer game or something to help with sales in Europe.

Aside from your general ignorance of the European market, contrary to popular belief it's not just any football game that is popular in Europe, it's mostly FIFA as a brand that many of the European player base is loyal to. Konami's PES doesn't nearly hit the same sales. A Mario Strikers game would only appeal to an existing fanbase. It wouldn't draw many from the FIFA crowd.

PES is very strong in France, dunno why tho

Dyotropic said:
Mnementh said:

Asia should not include China. North America should not include south america. The sales data places is not tracked well in those regions because there isn't a market for consoles in those regions.

Tell that our users from Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina. And the OP declares Americas includes at least latin america, which according to Wikipedia covers most of south america.

And Asia without Chna is still 3 billion people.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]