By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sakurai: Smash Bros has too many Fire Emblem characters and sword users

https://gonintendo.com/stories/354237-sakurai-says-smash-bros-ultimate-has-too-many-fire-emblem-charac#comments

From Famitsu. Woo boy.

Around the Network

I blame the game's director. Whoever that guy is.

Gee, ya don't say, Sakurai!

You know. If IS adds Goku to Fire Emblem then Sakurai will add Goku to Smash Bros. It's science.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Someone at Intelligent Systems has a ton of influence over these Smash Bros. fighters.  I imagine the discussion went something like this.

Fire Emblem Director: Byleth is the next fighter or I go public with the photos.  You know the ones.

Miyamoto: I will do as you ask.

Later at the Nintendo Board of Directors meeting.

Furukawa: Next item on the agenda is the last Smash Bros fighter.  There really are a lot of great-

Miyamoto: Byleth!

Furukawa: Pardon?  Did you say something Miyamoto-san?

Miyamoto: I said "Byleth".  The next character has definitely got to be Byleth.  I've got a really good feeling about this one.  Did you see those latest Fire Emblem sales numbers?  It's got to be at least our 20th most popular series now.  At this rate it will probably outsell 1-2 Switch.  People are crying out for Byleth!

Furukawa: But Miyamoto-san, perhaps there are already enough Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros?

Miyamoto: Do you know who I am?  I create the greatest characters of all time in my sleep.  Take out my characters and there wouldn't be a Smash Bros.  Guess what?  I've got a fever and the only prescription is more Byleth!

Kimishima: Miyamoto knows what he is talking about.  I think we should go with Byleth.

Furukawa: How about we put it to a vote?

Everyone votes for Byleth except one.  Furukawa abstains.

Furukawa: *Sigh* Very well.  I'll call Microsoft and let them know we are going a different direction with the last Smash Bros fighter.  Looks like the Master Chief Collection won't be coming to the Switch after all.

Around the Network

What? No it doesn't.

Lube Me Up

Dunkey put it very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLMi9kXTRI

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

There's so many IP that need representation in Smash, even in Nintendo's own IP, let alone 3rd parties. We don't need this many FE Characters. Because Nintendo chooses the characters I can't and won't blame Sakurai. The dude plays a ton of games, not just Nintendo games. I'm sure he has ideas for characters but Nintendo has other ideas. I hope that after Fighter Pass 2 that he goes back to taking a break first and foremost, and eventually develop new games.

I bet none of you people actually played Byleth.

(not a big fan of him, but I've played worse characters)

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

The first step is acknowledging we have a problem. The next is Master Chief as the next Smash character.