By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Platinum Games will Open a Kickstarter on Monday for a Wonderful 101 Port to Switch and PS4 (COMFIRMED!)

Tagged games:

ryuzaki57 said:
Leynos said:

Yes and to your second thing. No and not a chance.

So let me recap. Nintendo owns the code and the IP for TW101. TW101 will come to PS4.

Nintendo (maybe) owns the code for Bayonetta 2, Sega owns the IP. Bayonetta 2 project was started on PS3 and X360, there are PS and XB versions of Bayonetta 2 in PG's computers. Bayonetta shipped 1m on PS4/XB1, Bayonetta 2 shipped 600K on WiiU/Switch and you think there is 0% chance for Bayonetta 2 to come to PS4. Is that right?

All indicates that the Switch version of Bayonetta 2 did much better than the original version, so much so that I think it already surprassed 1 million or is really close to it.

Either way, Platinum has a strong relationship with Nintendo and it is in their interest to keep it that way, since half the projects they make comes from them, with the latest one being really successful(Astral Chain).

Platinum is more likely very happy with where Bayonetta is.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Nautilus said:

You need to remember that money is not the only way that a deal can be struck.Platinum could have just as easily offered a smaller cut in other projects in exchange on the IP control.For example, instead of a 60% - 40% cut into the next Astral Chain game(in terms of profit), they could have negociated something closer to 70% - 30%.Given the game success, and since Wonderful 101 was a bomb and is seemingly a dead weight to Nintendo, it could be advantageous for Nintendo to make that deal.

Other thing that is also important to consider is that Platinum is important to Nintendo.Or rather, that they both have a good relationship.Since they made a game that was successful on the Swicth(Astral Chain), are developing Bayonetta 3(With the port of Bayonetta 2 also doing seemingly well) and who knows what else, it stands to reason that it would be wise for Nintendo to keep Platinum happy and make a deal that, while good, would favor them more.

Just to throw some ideas around.

No matter how you slice it, there's not much money in it for Nintendo. And keeping Platinum Games happy can't be a real reason because Kamiya already gets to make Bayonetta 3 which wouldn't happen without Nintendo.

Given how many people are seemingly confirming this rumor, and the fact that they are also giving it a date(just 2 days away from announcing it), makes me believe that it is true.So I was just giving alternate explanations on how such a deal was made.At least it seems more plausible than Platinum, a company that has so little money that it had to get a loan from Tencent, to suddenly own the Wonderful 101 IP.Because I seriously doubt that Nintendo would sell it for only 5 or 10 million dollars.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

animegaming said:

I mean that did happen, that is why SF5 is console exclusive to PS4 and Capcom wasn't in the best financial shape at the start of the gen.

It happening doesn't make it right. Its Capcon, its Street Fighter, it never needed funding. 

W101 doesn't need a kickstarter for a port. 

twintail said:
Leynos said:
If it was happening on PS4. Bayo 2 would be on that disc this month instead of VanQuish.

Bayo is an IP SEGA licenses to Nintendo.

W101 is a Nintendo game co-owned by Platinum

This rumoured situation with w101 has zero bearing on the Bayo series moving to another platform.

I have already explained this and you quoted something out of context of the convo. Wasted time.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Paatar said:
Darwinianevolution said:
A Kickstarters sounds... unnecessary. This shouldn't be that expensive of a port. I mean, maybe Nintendo has cold feet after SMT x FE's abysmal sales?

We have no idea what the sales figures for Tokyo Mirage Sessions are--it is also an entirely different game with a different budget. The Switch version is performing much better--on Wednesday the 26th I checked the Japanese eShop and it was the #1 best seller (I even took a picture to prove it), almost two weeks after release. Not only that, it has been tracking better on numerous chart reports. Physically, the game did slightly worse than the Wii U version on release week in Japan, but digital sales are much higher on Switch than they were on Wii U which more than makes up for that. 

If anything, the port of TMS being more successful should give them reassurance that The Wonderful 101 port would be beneficial and sell more than the original release. 

That's pretty amazing. I bought the Switch version even though I had the Wii U version and have been getting back into it. It was super nichey even then and I was afraid it was going to tank big time, especially with all the online raging over the costumes and such that were cut/altered from the original Wii U Japanese release being left out of the Japanese Switch release as well.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 01 February 2020

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
This is almost as dumb as to when Capcon needed funding for SFV, one of there biggest IPs they own. A Kickstarter for W101 makes zero sense.

To be fair at the time, Capcom was kind of strapped for cash. There were even gloom and doom articles in 2013 around the time GTA V launched that said that Capcom had less than a billion dollars in the bank. So Capcom probably couldn't have really done a SFV without some financial help. 

Then Resident Evil 7 and especially Monster Hunter World happened, and Capcom went back to being a big-name developer and seems to be in a much healthier condition.

Azzanation said:
animegaming said:

I mean that did happen, that is why SF5 is console exclusive to PS4 and Capcom wasn't in the best financial shape at the start of the gen.

It happening doesn't make it right. Its Capcon, its Street Fighter, it never needed funding. 

W101 doesn't need a kickstarter for a port. 

Games don't get made unless the developers have the money to make them. Any potential success SFV had would have been meaningless until Capcom had the money to make the game in the first place.  Capcom didn't have enough money to make SFV and pay its employees and keep the lights on. Sony stepped in and bankrolled SFV with the obvious expectation that it would not show up on Xbox One, Wii U, or Switch, at least until x number of years had passed.

I doubt that Platinum similarly has the money to make W101 on its own. That said, that point is moot. Until Nintendo relinquishes its rights to W101, it ain't happening.

Hope is not true.

Don't want to live in a cursed timeline where Nintendo gives a second chance without problems to TMS, but the amazing W101 has to be kickstarted.

Replicant said:

Bold: If you take off your blindfolds for just a sec, you'll see plenty of colourful games that are popular on PS.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Wait,people really thought PS4 had no colorful games? Almost all of my 100 plus games on PS4 are loaded with style and/or color.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!