By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Platinum Games will Open a Kickstarter on Monday for a Wonderful 101 Port to Switch and PS4 (COMFIRMED!)

Tagged games:

Otter said:
SanAndreasX said:

Games don't get made unless the developers have the money to make them. Any potential success SFV had would have been meaningless until Capcom had the money to make the game in the first place.  Capcom didn't have enough money to make SFV and pay its employees and keep the lights on. Sony stepped in and bankrolled SFV with the obvious expectation that it would not show up on Xbox One, Wii U, or Switch, at least until x number of years had passed.

I doubt that Platinum similarly has the money to make W101 on its own. That said, that point is moot. Until Nintendo relinquishes its rights to W101, it ain't happening.

You know there is a difference between being in bad finances and not having money to make new a title. Where exactly did you get this information that capcom could literally not afford to make new SFV game? 

IF (strong emphasis on if) this was true Capcom could definitely take out a loan to finance a new safe investment (one of their biggest IPs, SFIV sold 5m the previous gen), but I would at least understand them looking for other investment instead of a riskier loan. 

For one thing, there were articles warning that Capcom was on shaky financial ground. They had a long string of bombs in the early 10s, including a number of fighting game titles. DmC flopped, MvC3 underperformed, SF x Tekken underperformed to the point where Namco didn't even bother with Tekken x SF, and even Resident Evil 6 fell considerably short of its targets, which means they didn't make a lot of money off of it.  And when investors hear that games are consistently not making targets, they pull their money out.

Getting a loan would depend on how big of a credit risk lenders saw the company to be. And given how badly Capcom fighting games were doing, SFV was not a sure bet at that point. Street Fighter games are not guaranteed hits like Pokemon, especially with the way Capcom tends to saturate the market with all of its franchises, which is what got them in trouble to begin with. There is a reason why there was such a huge gap between SFIII Third Strike and SFIV, which was that SFIII was not a financially successful game. SFV still launched in a shitty state, even with Sony's resources helping them. 

Today, sure, Capcom could easily afford a SF6 on its own. They've done an impressive job of turning the ship around the past few years, and I hope that they will take to heart what they learned from their failures in the early 10s.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Dulfite said:

Thanks for lying that I'm biased without proof. Here is proof that I'm not bias. There is CLEAR distinction between art styles of major Switch games, whereas hardly anything looks different or unrealistic with big Ps4 games:

Big Switch 1st Party Games

Mario kart 8 Deluxe: Toy Story-like Art style

Super Mario Odyssey: Cartoon

Zelda Breath of the Wild: Anime Impressionist

Yoshi’s Woolly World: Wool everything.

Link’s Awakening: Claymation

Big PS4 1st Party Games

Uncharted 4: Realistic

Marvel’s Spiderman: Mostly Realistic

The Last of Us Remastered: Realistic

God of War (PS4): Mostly Realistic

Horizon: Zero Dawn: Good balance between graphics and art style

You just proved his point separating nintendo games in diferentes types of cartoonish  and saying Sony games are realistic or semi realistic lol and then you leave games like ratchet and clank, dreams, Gravity rush etc.

You are being biased

What? I just proved how Nintendo games do NOT look all cartoonish. Some look claymated, some like wool/yarn, some like toy story CGI, and others cartoon. The ps4 games, by and large, are just realistic graphic with realistic tones. Zero Dawn being an exception.

And I've course there are other minor games, I was just focusing on some of the bigger ones for either system. There are plenty of other art styles on Nintendo I didn't show to prove my point (Astral Chains, for example, looks drastically different than these, as does Xenoblade Chronicles 2).

Yeah, pretty much all my PS4 physical games are stylized/colorful. Go ahead click the image to enlarge and take a gander.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Dulfite said:

What? I just proved how Nintendo games do NOT look all cartoonish. Some look claymated, some like wool/yarn, some like toy story CGI, and others cartoon. The ps4 games, by and large, are just realistic graphic with realistic tones. Zero Dawn being an exception.

And I've course there are other minor games, I was just focusing on some of the bigger ones for either system. There are plenty of other art styles on Nintendo I didn't show to prove my point (Astral Chains, for example, looks drastically different than these, as does Xenoblade Chronicles 2).

I have to agree with you on the art style here. Its one reason why I favour Xbox over PS in this regard, PS does realistic games really well and they all tend to carry the same focus on realistic art style with an over the shoulder 3rd person combat system. There are small exceptions here however many said PS has more variety of games yet when you look at there main sellers, its clear a one type genre focus. 

Where as Xbox still try to be diverse, they offer difference experiences like RTS, FPS, SIMs, MMO, Metroidvania and others etc. There games might not review as good this gen however there are quite a difference in playstyle and artstyle. 

Sony's next big hitters, what a surprise, two over the shoulder realistic type games in Ghosts and TLOU2. This is not a dig in any means to these games quality however its more of the same which works for them. Look at Xboxes next big releases with Ori 2, Battletoads and Halo. Very different games with very different art style approaches.

Maybe its just me but I can tend to agree Sony's main focus is very different to Nintendos and Xboxes.

https://four.platinumgames.com/

... Weird.Since it is Platinum related, decided to put it here.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

That something with Platinum is/has happened on the exact day lends some credence to the rumour. It's a fairly big coincidence otherwise. Though I'm not convinced that the news will be solely W101 related. I'd expect something bigger from a tease like this.

Barkley said:
Nautilus said:

That something with Platinum is/has happened on the exact day lends some credence to the rumour. It's a fairly big coincidence otherwise. Though I'm not convinced that the news will be solely W101 related. I'd expect something bigger from a tease like this.

Well, supposedly the Wonderful 101 port is the beginning of the self publishing strategy for Platinum.So it would make sense for Platinum to announce its plans about that, alongside the first game that they would publish themselves.

At least, thats the theory circuling around.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Azzanation said:
Dulfite said:

I have to agree with you on the art style here. Its one reason why I favour Xbox over PS in this regard, PS does realistic games really well and they all tend to carry the same focus on realistic art style with an over the shoulder 3rd person combat system. There are small exceptions here however many said PS has more variety of games yet when you look at there main sellers, its clear a one type genre focus. 

Where as Xbox still try to be diverse, they offer difference experiences like RTS, FPS, SIMs, MMO, Metroidvania and others etc. There games might not review as good this gen however there are quite a difference in playstyle and artstyle. 

Sony's next big hitters, what a surprise, two over the shoulder realistic type games in Ghosts and TLOU2. This is not a dig in any means to these games quality however its more of the same which works for them. Look at Xboxes next big releases with Ori 2, Battletoads and Halo. Very different games with very different art style approaches.

Maybe its just me but I can tend to agree Sony's main focus is very different to Nintendos and Xboxes.

Agreed! I'm not saying those Sony games are bad or sold bad, but just that they don't really embrace non realistic looking visuals often.

Barkley said:
Nautilus said:

Platinum has been wanting to get into the self-publishing business, so the Wonderful 101 might be the first game and we could be hearing about 3 more self-published games along side it.

Dulfite said:
Azzanation said:

Agreed! I'm not saying those Sony games are bad or sold bad, but just that they don't really embrace non realistic looking visuals often.

Them double standards and disingenuous comments. 

When on one side games are cautiously picked as the  most popular and best selling titles and disregarding all the others that don’t fit the biased narrative, and on the other side, the picks selectively and deceptively taken with somewhat diversity in the cartoon style but not using the best selling most popular titles,  you know the kind of people you’re going to argue with and they’ve already wasted enough of your time. 

Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, Luigi’s Mansion, Splatoon 2... Pretty much use the same art style.

Then you have all the other games that used a somewhat stylized yet still very much cartoon style. Games like Link’s Awakening, Kirby and Yoshi. 

For all the complaints about Sony making more realistic games than cartoony ones, you have to at least acknowledge the fact that Nintendo doesn't do anything other than cartoony visuals, be them made of clay, wool, mud, clouds or rainbows.

Sony makes TLOU, God of War, Uncharted, Spider Man, Horizon, sure. Yet all of them, while being realistic in nature, are all stylized a different way. The same as Nintendo’s different approaches to the cartoony style.

But then, Sony does make strongly stylized games like Medievil, The Last Guardian, Ratchet & Clank, Knack, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, The Unfinished Swan, Astro Bot...

What does Nintendo make that isn’t cartoony? Even Xenoblade 2 has embraced the cartoony style.

And by cartoony, I mean:

~ a simplified or exaggerated version or interpretation of something.

And I’ll never buy Azzanation’s BS for his constant negativity towards PS. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 04 February 2020