By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo make all future consoles hybrids?

 

Should Nintendo stick with hybrids?

Yes 19 82.61%
 
No 4 17.39%
 
Total:23

Either way would be fine by me, they should do whatever they want and odds are people will still throw cash at them no matter what it is.
Myself included of course.



Around the Network

Yes. I've given up on Nintendo having specs to the level of Sony and Microsoft. That hasn't happened since the GameCube. And even the N64 and GameCube had very low file sizes due to cartridges and miniDVDs respectively. Since I've accepted that Nintendo's specs will be so far behind, then keep the hybrid nature. The Switch may be very, very weak spec-wise for home consoles. But it's the best for handhelds by default. I'd rather buy one platform and not have to split my money and time between two. And I think it will benefit Nintendo in the long-run.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Switch is clearly pivoting to a family of systems that all run the same software, on largely the same hardware á la Apples mobile device family.
So I think the future is less dependant on an actual Hybrid formfactor existing, (although I love it and think they should continue that formfactor going forward) than on the idea that all of their Hardware is going to run the same SoC, regardless of formfactor.

The unification of their HC and HH decisions has been really beneficial to Nintendos release schedule and the fact that the consumer gets to take the full HC experience on the go continues to be a major selling point in their favour. I don‘t see them giving those benefits up again.

So even if they split into HH and HC skus again at some point, I expect the internals to be largely identical between all formfactors going forward.

That being said, they should absolutely go forward with the hybrid as the lead formfactor, imo.



Is there a choice? They can't compete with Playstation when it comes to strict home consoles.



Not necessarily. If it's possible they should, but if they have a great concept that doesn't work as a hybrid, they should do that.



Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Is there a choice? They can't compete with Playstation when it comes to strict home consoles.

Why couldn't they?



padib said:
Soundwave said:
Is there a choice? They can't compete with Playstation when it comes to strict home consoles.

Why couldn't they?

Because 3/4 times they've tried head to head they've gotten absolutely blown out by Playstation and the one time they won, the PS3 still almost caught up. 

Not only them but Microsoft too. Playstation is just too daunting of a competitor to be beaten in the strict home console market. 

The only real mistake they've made in like 25+ years in the business is the $600 PS3, other than that they don't give their competition much to take advantage of. If the PS3 wasn't $600 due to Blu-Ray it probably would've topped Wii sales but still managed 85 million on the low end for them.



Soundwave said:
padib said:

Why couldn't they?

Because 3/4 times they've tried head to head they've gotten absolutely blown out by Playstation and the one time they won, the PS3 still almost caught up. 

Not only them but Microsoft too. Playstation is just too daunting of a competitor to be beaten in the strict home console market. 

The only real mistake they've made in like 25+ years in the business is the $600 PS3, other than that they don't give their competition much to take advantage of. If the PS3 wasn't $600 due to Blu-Ray it probably would've topped Wii sales but still managed 85 million on the low end for them.

What the hell are you talking about?



padib said:
Soundwave said:

Because 3/4 times they've tried head to head they've gotten absolutely blown out by Playstation and the one time they won, the PS3 still almost caught up. 

Not only them but Microsoft too. Playstation is just too daunting of a competitor to be beaten in the strict home console market. 

The only real mistake they've made in like 25+ years in the business is the $600 PS3, other than that they don't give their competition much to take advantage of. If the PS3 wasn't $600 due to Blu-Ray it probably would've topped Wii sales but still managed 85 million on the low end for them.

What the hell are you talking about?

What reality are you living in?

PS1 routed the N64.

PS2 destroyed the GameCube. 

PS3 nearly caught up to the Wii despite a terrible start. 

PS4 destroyed the Wii U. 

Nintendo cannot compete in this market. Throw in Microsoft also competing for table scraps from Sony's table and there is no market in strict home consoles for Nintendo. 



Soundwave said:
padib said:

What the hell are you talking about?

What reality are you living in?

PS1 routed the N64.

PS2 destroyed the GameCube. 

PS3 nearly caught up to the Wii despite a terrible start. 

PS4 destroyed the Wii U. 

Nintendo cannot compete in this market. Throw in Microsoft also competing for table scraps from Sony's table and there is no market in strict home consoles for Nintendo. 

The one you obviously don't live in.

Nintendo did not lose to the Playstation. That only happens in your fantasy.

Nintendo always lost to its own mistakes. What proves it: The WiiU vs the Wii. The N64 vs the SNES. The Gamecube vs the SNES.

Now look, the switch is a console (and a handheld, you know like light is matter and energy?), and it is kicking the Playstation's ass.