By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FORBES [Opinion] - Xbox Series X Vs PlayStation 5: Don't Count Microsoft Out This Generation

Tagged games:

What do you think

Yes 2 6.06%

I fully agree 9 27.27%

100% Microsoft will win this generation 1 3.03%

I hope Xbox will win this generation 2 6.06%

Corona Virus will win in the end 2 6.06%

No, I don't think Microso... 17 51.52%

Total:33

I really wish Microsoft would be successful. I don't like them as a company, I hate Windows, have switch to Mac and never looked back, but the Xbox 360 was a huge thing for me, my first HD console, with one of the best if not the best controller ever, the ps3 was a huge disappointment because it came a year later when I had already experience so many great games in HD back then, Mass effect, Oblivion, Gears of War, Fable 2, Forza 3, table tennis, Ghost recon, rainbow six vegas, Dead rising, the godfather, test drive unlimited, just cause, Prey and many more, definitely the best year in gaming I can remember from the past 30 years, and all due to xbox 360. Ps3 on the other hand had a terrible controller without rumble, no good games for a long time, it was a lot more expensive.

Fast forward to 2013 and Sony learned from their mistakes and launched a console cheaper than the xbox, yet more powerful, and we didn't have to wait a year for it. And it launched with my favourite game from this entire generation from all platforms, Resogun. Controller was vastly improved, in fact more comfortable for me than xbox (minus the joysticks which I prefer on xbox).

PS4 also had a replaceable HDD, the touchpad which was amazing even if just for a map button, no external power supply, and the OS was way better than xbox One. Best of all, sony had the best way to install games, xbox was terrible, you couldn't play a game while it was installing, you couldn't play and download updates on background, in fact you needed internet just to setup the console or else you couldn't even play it at all. Also I thought the design was bad compared to the ps4.

So my choice was PS4, I do not do companies, I buy the best products for my money, couldn't care less who makes the product.

Microsoft tried to fight and I ended up buying an xbox X, I thought it was the best piece of hardware I've ever seen, smaller than PCs, smaller than the pro, yet quieter than PCs and any other consoles, even quieter than a switch, with a 4K bluray player, and high quality materials. And there's plenty good exclusives on it, such as Recore, Quantum break, Mass effect trilogy, Gears 5, Forza Horizon series and more, the problem I see is I do not play online, and Microsoft seems to cater more for online games, example, PUBG, Sea of thieves, Titanfall, those could have been great games if they had a good single player campaign. So, despite all this power, I tended to prefer the ps4 due to Spiderman, God of war, Last of Us, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Death stranding, Horizon zero dawn, persona 5.

The biggest Microsoft mistake by far was not to jump into VR, it made my ps4 pro way more valuable than xbox, VR was like being back to the 90s when we switched from 2d to 3d games, it was magical, still is and sony is supporting it a lot, there's way more games than I ever imagine.

And just like the last 2 generations, it seems this generation Microsoft has abandoned their console early, besides Ori there's nothing great coming in the future, unlike PS4 which will still be supported a lot in the future.

All of this shows in sales where PS4 has been outselling 3:1 and even 4:1 of xbox for years now.

Now, from what we know from next gen, I am happy with what I know of xbox, it looks quality, looks like there will be proper cooling BUT its Microsoft again, so my choice is going to be Sony because I know sony will support the console with great single player games and VR content.

My point is, ps5 will outsell the xbox series X by far, because the general public knows that in the end playstations always get the greatest exclusives, also because its going to play ps4 games, and most people have ps4s so they'd rather buy something that can play games they already own.

In fact in my circle of gamer friends I know of no one who wants the next xbox (I'm in Europe), all of them are planning to get the ps5, in fact I know of no one with xbox now, the ones that had one have sold to get a ps4 around the time that spiderman came out, so in my opinion ps5 will sell 3:1 of the xbox, after the launch period. I hope I'm wrong but I think the next xbox will be a flop, even worse than the current one and I love my X. If you turn your console into a PC and then put all exclusives on the PC and also do not give any exclusive to the series X as those will be available on xbox X too, then either the fans wont upgrade or they will just build a PC.

Sony better step up and build a lot, because that thing is going to be flying off the shelves, better not run out of stock. Sony just needs to keep doing what they are doing, great single player exclusives, backwards compatibility with PS4, and do not turn it into a PC and its guaranteed success.

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:
sales2099 said:

See that’s where it gets grey. You talking about the game making the most out of the next gen tech. But “best game” to many, arguably more people, is the quality of said game.

LOU 2 can get a metacritic of 95 and it could get a remastered PS5 version. Put it beside a PS5 exclusive that was natively made for the platform with a metacritic of 75...and your argument sounds a little silly. LOU2 will still very much be considered the best game by the masses despite being a PS4 game first. 

Please understand - we will both  laugh at PS4 and X1 soon. I bought a Pro and since that day PS4 Amateur became non existent for me, and Im sure as fuck that we will agree with ourselves, perhaps in the November this year.

Edit - PS5 remasters:

PS4 remaster of TloU looks like Nintendo game in comparison to Horizon and God of War.

You side stepped the point I made with the meta scores. We live in an elitist bubble in forums, these views don’t represent the masses. The masses don’t care about power so much as quality. Not like the Series X version gonna look like a Switch version lol

I’m just saying that while we may move on quick, it’s the better thing to not screw over late adopters who don’t want to upgrade yet and thus exclude them. 

And don’t be modest, LOU on PS4 is a gem. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 30 January 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
KingofTrolls said:

TloU 2 will be great, maybe the best game on this generation. In comparison with next gen games, not so much.

See that’s where it gets grey. You talking about the game making the most out of the next gen tech. But “best game” to many, arguably more people, is the quality of said game.

LOU 2 can get a metacritic of 95 and it could get a remastered PS5 version. Put it beside a PS5 exclusive that was natively made for the platform with a metacritic of 75...and your argument sounds a little silly. LOU2 will still very much be considered the best game by the masses despite being a PS4 game first. 

Then you are assuming that for a game to be good it needs to be technically impressive. A game like breath of the wild is good not because it pushes polygons or some crazzy AI. A game like God of War is also not good because its the prettiest. Thouse games  are good for the experience they give, the gameplay mechanics, the story and whatever else any dev wants to offer with any game. Games like god of war and eventually the last of us part 2 will be amazing because of many things including their graphical fidelity. When games on ps5 come out that beat it in graphics, wich in no doubt will pretty soon, does not mean they are better, they could have worse stories, worst gameplay or just plain boring but will look nicer or have a mechanic that while not possible on previous consoles, still wont make the game any good. A good example is Assassins creed 5. But I sure would love for them to try new things even if they dont meet expectations.

So more power will not make a game better, you are right about that but more power lets devs experiment with things that might make the game better, like Horizon zero dawn where not able to  implement flight due to lack of power, theres a good chance that could have improved the game and we will see about that when they make the sequel. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

KingofTrolls said:
Azzanation said:

You act like devs cannot make good games with current specs, so i guess games like TLOU2 isnt going to be great due to the limitations of the PS4s jag cores which run at an even slower clock speed than base X1.

Heck the best Halo games were made on even weaker CPUs. I never understand this logic.

TloU 2 will be great, maybe the best game on this generation. In comparison with next gen games, not so much.

TLOU 2 will be great, regardless if its using Jag cores. That's my point with Halo. It doesn't need to be running on state of the art CPUs to be good. Its more important which gaming engines these companies use rather than the actual hardware they are on. Again Zelda BOTW was developed on the WiiU, Red Dead and Cyberpunk 2077 run on base Jag CPUs even Doom Eternal runs on Jag Cores. What's more important is that Halo Infinite is using the new Slip Space Engine so it wont be just a sequel to Halo 5. Its more pedal to the metal power.

The game just needs to come out as good as they are promising and so far with what they have shown we wont be complaining. Series X will most likely add 4k/60 and maybe even Ray Tracing which will make the game stand out from the rest. Like a PC, the more power you have, the better the game will look.

sales2099 said:
KingofTrolls said:

Please understand - we will both  laugh at PS4 and X1 soon. I bought a Pro and since that day PS4 Amateur became non existent for me, and Im sure as fuck that we will agree with ourselves, perhaps in the November this year.

Edit - PS5 remasters:

PS4 remaster of TloU looks like Nintendo game in comparison to Horizon and God of War.

You side stepped the point I made with the meta scores. We live in an elitist bubble in forums, these views don’t represent the masses. The masses don’t care about power so much as quality. Not like the Series X version gonna look like a Switch version lol

I’m just saying that while we may move on quick, it’s the better thing to not screw over late adopters who don’t want to upgrade yet and thus exclude them. 

And don’t be modest, LOU on PS4 is a gem. 

It sure is, But on a technical standpoint, it lacks in comparison to horizon and god of war. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

It sure is, But on a technical standpoint, it lacks in comparison to horizon and god of war. 

My point is that ultimately that matters little. The general quality of the overall package of the game speaks far louder.

Going back to my stance that Halo Infinite will be a system seller despite being cross gen 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Then you are assuming that for a game to be good it needs to be technically impressive. A game like breath of the wild is good not because it pushes polygons or some crazzy AI. A game like God of War is also not good because its the prettiest. Thouse games  are good for the experience they give, the gameplay mechanics, the story and whatever else any dev wants to offer with any game. Games like god of war and eventually the last of us part 2 will be amazing because of many things including their graphical fidelity. When games on ps5 come out that beat it in graphics, wich in no doubt will pretty soon, does not mean they are better, they could have worse stories, worst gameplay or just plain boring but will look nicer or have a mechanic that while not possible on previous consoles, still wont make the game any good. A good example is Assassins creed 5. But I sure would love for them to try new things even if they dont meet expectations.

So more power will not make a game better, you are right about that but more power lets devs experiment with things that might make the game better, like Horizon zero dawn where not able to  implement flight due to lack of power, theres a good chance that could have improved the game and we will see about that when they make the sequel. 

You could summarize that saying that giving PS5 power to EA their game won't be better than TLOU2, but if TLOU2 was fully developed for PS5 it would be better than the one developed for PS4 or the remaster/patch it will get for PS5. That is the basic point we have been saying but not accepted.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

microsoft unfortunately never learn from there past mistakes or short commings. They promise greatness prior to console launch, yet shallow exclusives follow, or the same ones pretty much. They don't expand their list of unique AAA titles exclusives, like sony and nintendo.

HollyGamer said:

Yes it can be both, but if it's both then Gamepass will just be a regular service for Xbox, nothing great nothing special and it will change nothing or add nothing to Industries . It will be just a regular service that even Playstation can do or Nintendo can do. So there is no point of game pass.

Again, what? Why would there be no point in GamePass? Playstation or Nintendo also being able to create a similar service doesn't change the fact that GamePass is a great service for customers. And no, it really can't be both. Arguing that it's both is just admitting that you're making an incredibly long reach of logic, which would explain why virtually everything you're saying makes no sense.

HollyGamer said:

Movies also has budget too, but Movie can only be enjoy one time and extremely less on replayability. Games are not equal with Movies. Movies are not interactive and not complicated like making games.

That's not how movie watching works. Many people watch movies repeatedly. I'd argue for many people movies offer more replay value than games because a movie is a two hour investment give or take, a game can be incredibly longer. I'd love to replay Witcher 3, but damn it would take a long time. I'm going to rewatch the John Wick trilogy soon, its like a six hour investment.

HollyGamer said:

That's the point, the games already devalue them self. Adding game pass as "mainstream" will hasten the process. Like I said that happen if Microsoft trying to make it fully free and kill the normal payment method  and traditional method

How would it hasten the process lol. Just saying something isn't an argument, especially when what you're saying is so detached from reality. You have to explain these theories. And games don't devalue themselves, people with a mindset like you devalue them. You just said the games on GamePass are old, implying they have less value. So putting them on GamePass isn't going to devalue something you already devalued. Furthermore MS and multiple devs have come out and said putting the games on GamePass have increased sales of the games and also DLC.

I somehow doubt you had the same concerns when Sony started giving out "free" games last gen with PS+.

HollyGamer said:

The less people buy hardware and physical  , the less product to be produce and create rarity in the market. It will inflate the price 

So you're saying given the chance, more people will buy digital? Awesome. Either way, if your logic here is legit, why aren't movies and music massively overpriced? Also, even in games, prices don't work like this. Calls of Doody will ship millions of copies. Madden will ship millions. Shenmue 3 will ship tens, yet will cost the same price or even less. By your logic it was a rarer product with less produced so it should have an inflated price.

HollyGamer said:

The games suck because game company don't want to spend money on creating big budget title, due to people will just pay one dollar on subscription or worse. Game company are not renting it. They one to sell it

You're again ignoring the massive quality advantage streaming services have in content over the broadcast networks. I know that it's very damaging to your whole theory, but I'd like to see what zany excuses you come up with for it. You're also yet to actually explain why a company would strive to sell gamers on a service by making the service full of bad games.

HollyGamer said:

It depends where you choose to be. Are you hoping Microsoft to gain advantage from game pass then Microsoft will surely kill triple A games . But if you are hoping it will not change and physical games will have normal price and normal ownership methode then gamepass don't add up anything and it will just a normal service that people can get on Playstation. Because the point of Gamepass is to steal Sony market and invite casual to joint Xbox  and there is no point if People still buying physical games.

GamePass games have physical releases. Your argument has no depth or substance. Just throwing out conspiracy theories and seeing if one sticks, like that user here who predicts the end of MS hardware every time they release a new console or revision.

KratosLives said:
microsoft unfortunately never learn from there past mistakes or short commings. They promise greatness prior to console launch, yet shallow exclusives follow, or the same ones pretty much. They don't expand their list of unique AAA titles exclusives, like sony and nintendo.

@bolded, agreed. It's like they need to acquire a bunch of studios to expand their portfolio and put out a bunch of new content but they just seem uninterested in doing so, we'll probably never see them do it.

Also Sony is quite a bit down on new IP's this gen compared to last.