By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FORBES [Opinion] - Xbox Series X Vs PlayStation 5: Don't Count Microsoft Out This Generation

Tagged games:

What do you think

Yes 2 6.06%

I fully agree 9 27.27%

100% Microsoft will win this generation 1 3.03%

I hope Xbox will win this generation 2 6.06%

Corona Virus will win in the end 2 6.06%

No, I don't think Microso... 17 51.52%

Total:33
thismeintiel said:
Hmm. Will this one be locked, too?

Huge difference, the thread is in gaming discussion but the poll is not one sided. It's a discussion piece article. 

PS5 is coming into this next generation with the biggest challenge since their measure of success is to match what they did with the PS4.

I think Microsoft will definitely come out on top with the next generation if you are simply comparing them to the benchmark set by the last generation. I expect that Sony's PS5 will continue to dominate world wide sales but Microsoft can take North America and make up ground in every other market. This generation should also be the start of the transition away from the console to streaming box and streaming services. If Microsoft and Sony release a stream box by the end of this generation do you still count them as overall console sales?

While the consumer friendly approach by Microsoft to support last gen console is going to hurt sales of Xbox Series x, it's also going to reduce sales of PS5. Casual market will have no drive to buy a console day 1. Microsoft ability to attract the casual market will be the difference maker next gen. 

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Pirates are going to pirate no matter what. Give a thief a chance to steal, they’ll do it. There’s no need to make up hypotheticals or anything for them, just give them a way to steal and it’ll happen. 

How does this relate to GamePass though? There’s no exclusive content on GamePass and every game on it can be bought to own. It’s the exact opposite of all of those streaming services.

Actually if everything start to become subscription base model, all company will start to make exclusives content. Netflix early day are free and don't have any exclusives, But day by day as time goes and many company follow, they starting to make exclusives content. 

I bet with my both ear, if Subscription succeeded in converting ownership model to subs model, we will see the same situation with Video streaming. All company will start making exclusives content. 

Also the problem with subs payment  is how subs will devalue the games quality.

Why in the world would everything go to a subscription? Even right now, as popular and over saturated as the streaming market is, a vast majority of the stuff is available in physical form or in non-streaming form. CBS has free over the air broadcasting where a vast majority of their content can be consumed. They also have CBS All Access which has all that same stuff plus exclusive stuff. You can subscribe for that stuff, or you can just buy it physically and not subscribe. Same with virtually every other network out there who does a service. And Netflix, they also put their most popular stuff out in physical form.

Netflix started to make exclusive content because the prices to license out all the movies and television shows got to a point where it made sense for them to make their own stuff. Plus it's a way to get people to subscribe. I can't imagine being a consumer and thinking here's this thing that looks cool and I want to watch it, darn why did Netflix make this? How is that anything other than a win for consumers? lol

That doesn't apply to video games. There will be hardware, there will be physical media. Gaming already has companies making their own content and always had. They won't run into licensing issues because the industry doesn't work that way. EA won't come up to MicroSony and demand a ridiculous break on licensing fees because then where would EA take their games? That's different than the streaming market because there the pipeline moves in the opposite direction. Companies can have bidding wars for exclusive rights to their content.

Your worries sound like the same fearmongering we heard with EA Access and here we are at the end of the gen and the only company that followed suit is Ubisoft. And with them, they actually have their own platform so they probably shouldn't even count.

How in the world would an optional subscription service lower the quality of games LOL. Doesn't make any sense. In fact, some of the best content that is out there exists in the premium subscription based services. In the last Emmy awards, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Prime, FX, Hulu, etc dominated the nominations with NBC also showing up pretty well but none of the other over the air networks doing much of anything. I mean... they're trying to sell you a service. Exactly how does it make any sense to try to sell you worse games on a service?

GamePass hasn't had any negative impact on games and its been around for over two years.

LudicrousSpeed said:
HollyGamer said:

Actually if everything start to become subscription base model, all company will start to make exclusives content. Netflix early day are free and don't have any exclusives, But day by day as time goes and many company follow, they starting to make exclusives content. 

I bet with my both ear, if Subscription succeeded in converting ownership model to subs model, we will see the same situation with Video streaming. All company will start making exclusives content. 

Why in the world would everything go to a subscription? Even right now, as popular and over saturated as the streaming market is, a vast majority of the stuff is available in physical form or in non-streaming form. CBS has free over the air broadcasting where a vast majority of their content can be consumed. They also have CBS All Access which has all that same stuff plus exclusive stuff. You can subscribe for that stuff, or you can just buy it physically and not subscribe. Same with virtually every other network out there who does a service. And Netflix, they also put their most popular stuff out in physical form.

Netflix started to make exclusive content because the prices to license out all the movies and television shows got to a point where it made sense for them to make their own stuff. Plus it's a way to get people to subscribe. I can't imagine being a consumer and thinking here's this thing that looks cool and I want to watch it, darn why did Netflix make this? How is that anything other than a win for consumers? lol

That doesn't apply to video games. There will be hardware, there will be physical media. Gaming already has companies making their own content and always had. They won't run into licensing issues because the industry doesn't work that way. EA won't come up to MicroSony and demand a ridiculous break on licensing fees because then where would EA take their games? That's different than the streaming market because there the pipeline moves in the opposite direction. Companies can have bidding wars for exclusive rights to their content.

Your worries sound like the same fearmongering we heard with EA Access and here we are at the end of the gen and the only company that followed suit is Ubisoft. And with them, they actually have their own platform so they probably shouldn't even count.

How in the world would an optional subscription service lower the quality of games LOL. Doesn't make any sense. In fact, some of the best content that is out there exists in the premium subscription based services. In the last Emmy awards, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Prime, FX, Hulu, etc dominated the nominations with NBC also showing up pretty well but none of the other over the air networks doing much of anything. I mean... they're trying to sell you a service. Exactly how does it make any sense to try to sell you worse games on a service?

GamePass hasn't had any negative impact on games and its been around for over two years.

Just a matter of time. Gaas, loot boxes, Time savers, cosmetic only. It all started  non intrusive untill they had you hooked and got super invasive. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

KingofTrolls said:
Azzanation said:

Someone underestimating Halo.. not a wise decision.

Nothing againts it, but cross-gen is absolutely a disadvantage here.

What makes you say that?

HollyGamer said:

PC Play

Erik lists the fact that Xbox exclusives being on PC is a disadvantage, and yet I think you can easily see that as a perk, the fact that every Xbox exclusive you buy, you get a second, free copy on PC. Yes, you can say “why buy an Xbox when you just need a gaming PC?” and yet the vast majority of gamers can’t afford a $1K+ gaming PC, but would rather just stick with a hugely powerful $500 console. Additionally, Sony seems to be slowly realizing the wisdom of bringing exclusives to PC as well. Perhaps well after release, but that seems likely to expand in the future.

* Falsely Assumes all Gaming PC's are $1k+
* Assumes people would rather stick to a gaming console. (Obviously ignoring how massive the PC is!)

Alistair said:

People are always counting out the Xbox even though everyone is buying one. Sony has all the older PS1 and PS2 buyers who just can't stop crowing about it. The Xbox has always been regional, selling in NA especially. Remember how popular the Wii was? The Xbox 360 outsold the Wii in the U.S.... I'm not counting Microsoft out, I'm more interested in the next Xbox than the PS5. My PS4 was a big disappointment (don't own an Xbox One). I want a more PC experience, and I hope one day Microsoft will deliver that. Windows and mouse and keyboard support and the Series X will fly off the shelves.

Didn't Microsoft's financial statement state that their gaming division was down 21%?
https://n4g.com/news/2322634/microsoft-gaming-revenue-drops-21-year-on-year-xbox-content-and-services-down-11

Seems the platform is in decline rather than everyone is buying one.

If you want the PC Experience, then why not buy a PC?

Radek said:
If someone switches from PS4/PS5 a console with amazing games to Xbox just because GamePass then I'm lost for words..

Games are definitely all about personal taste, if Microsoft has games on Gamepass that are more attractive to some users than what is on Playstation 4/5, then why not make the transition?

smroadkill15 said:
I certainly don't see the XSX fumbling out of the gate like the X1. First party games are going to be much stronger on the XSX and the console is rumored to be more powerful than the PS5. With Lockhart being the more affordable option, Xbox will have their bases covered with having a cheaper alternative console. Will it outsell the Ps5? Probably not, but it will at least stay competitive.

The name and design of the console seems to be a slight fumble though.
Although, I like the design personally, many others don't.

The name though... Sounds like it's not far removed from the Xbox One X.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

What makes you say that?

The fact that  the CPU is the brain of the console and sadly Jaguars cores are unusuable, heck they were cheap shit from the day-one of this gen.

So, if Halo Infinite is going to performace anywhere close to reasonable on the base Xbox, it will have limits that will hurt  the next gen iteration.

LudicrousSpeed said:
HollyGamer said:

Game pass haven't made any impact because it's just 2 years

2nd it's not mainstream yet

3rd it's only game pass who does it,  nothing as big game pass provided the same service except  PS now which is not Sony focus right now

4rth Movie =/= with games

5th Movie price =/= game price

6th game budget often goes big and take a lot of time 

Also subscription allow exclusivity among the game publisher if they provided their own service 

Also Game Pass right now just using old games not new fresh content and most of the title are old, this will change when people start to choose subs model (which i hope not)

Yes there will be hardware there will be physical media, but physical media will be expensives and limited, and the quality will be not as good when developer still provided direct sales. 

That's why game pass will be hard to implement if  Microsoft really serious  trying to disrupt gaming in general by bring new title . game will be cheap and directly evaluate quality and price.

But if Gamepass is trying to be normal and won't replace old way of owning games then game pass will  just be an add on, it will not be a game changer nor a revolution nor a selling point. Gamepass will just be a something gamer can look . And i hope this is the case because i prefer owning games and many people still prefer this . But again this a wild card for microsoft they are trying to win a lot of gamer  by destroying game industries and devalue the price and at the same time bringing down , budget and  the quality of games. Because who want to make games for, unless the game publisher prived the money for game developer and shareholder will be left empty and goes bankrupt . 

They won’t sell the most consoles outside NA and UK but they will have more active players via PC, GamePass and Xcloud. And certainly make enough money to sustain themselves.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Bandorr said:
ironmanDX said:

Why? It's a service that caters to the console gamer. 

It's value for money for a great product. Is that not what the core concept for a console has become? 

That's an easy one. Gamepass isn't giving you more games. It is giving you cheaper games.  There are no gamepass exclusive games.

You'd be giving up Playstation games (exclusives, or games simply not on the xbox) for cheaper games.

Of course once MSs studios starts pumping out games, a lot are coming out in 2020 alone, the day 1 perk and $1 deals leads to a increasingly higher adoption rate.

Word of mouth does the rest. It’s a slow but steady growth and once enough games come out (that aren’t available on PS), the service in itself can become a system seller 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Cobretti2 said:
There is no reason for people to switch next gen unless there is some major issues with the PS5.

They will need a few aces up their sleeve to cause a change,

What about if MS releases a Xcloud box for approx $100? Like how Google uses Chromecast to stream Stadia on TV only this would be a purely Xcloud games based box. 

That would essentially make a great second or even third console choice for people not wanting to fully invest in the entire Xbox console ecosystem. And even be a foot in the door for countries they don’t sell well in. I don’t see this releasing until year 3/4 imo. Just a thought