By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FORBES [Opinion] - Xbox Series X Vs PlayStation 5: Don't Count Microsoft Out This Generation

Tagged games:

 

What do you think

Yes 2 6.06%
 
I fully agree 9 27.27%
 
100% Microsoft will win this generation 1 3.03%
 
I hope Xbox will win this generation 2 6.06%
 
Corona Virus will win in the end 2 6.06%
 
No, I don't think Microso... 17 51.52%
 
Total:33
HollyGamer said:
DonFerrari said:

Basically sub to one service that have most of the content you like and torrent whatever you want that isn't there.

Subscription will kill triple A games and devalue the games to smartphones business mobile games LOL 

I'm terrified of subscription style games, I really like closed games narrative driven ones.

LudicrousSpeed said:
HollyGamer said:

Pirates are going to pirate no matter what. Give a thief a chance to steal, they’ll do it. There’s no need to make up hypotheticals or anything for them, just give them a way to steal and it’ll happen. 

How does this relate to GamePass though? There’s no exclusive content on GamePass and every game on it can be bought to own. It’s the exact opposite of all of those streaming services.

Not really hypothetical, when Netflix showed up a lot of people stopped pirating (or reduced a lot and started paying for the sub) with the several number of different subs some have came back to it.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Radek said:
If someone switches from PS4/PS5 a console with amazing games to Xbox just because GamePass then I'm lost for words..

Why? It's a service that caters to the console gamer. 

It's value for money for a great product. Is that not what the core concept for a console has become? 

Because you are dropping an entire ecosystem, a great console with amazing games just to have cheap third party games... now if you like Xbox exclusives, the power advantage or gamepad now that's a good reason, but dropping PS5 just because "Netflix for games" only? Bad idea imo, but then again maybe they were never interested in Playstation exclusives in the first place... must be...



The mention of Stadia has already dated this article.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

eva01beserk said:
RolStoppable said:

Actually, there is a reason. It's called Game Pass.

If the three key points (price of the console, performance of multiplats, (timed) exclusive content for multiplats) are heading for virtual parity, then Game Pass will be an ace because it's gaming for cheap. The lack of game ownership won't be a concern because both PS and Xbox gamers have already been willing to give up their ownership rights as the evergrowing share of digital game sales proves.

To this day I have never bought a digital copy of a game. Im pretty sure there is a large percentage of the gaming market that like me are never planing to go digital. Some just dont trust it, some like resale. But this push for all digital that MS is aiming for could be a reason for people to skip xbox all toghether. Im willing to bet its more older gamers like myself who buy wide range of games but spend less per game. By that I mean loot boxes, cosmetics maps and all that other bullshit that "AAA" publishers try to shove down our throats. 

Edit: correction, I did buy a digital game. Hellblade. But there was no physical version for it. 

This is partially why I stick with Nintendo consoles and have a PS as backup for games I cannot get on Nintendo. Consoles got to a point with all the updates and patches needed that you are basically buying a broken game at launch. Now is that deliberate to try and make peopel be digital only gamers? or just cost cutting and let the gamers be the testers and complain and release patches for bugs.

But when they are releasing day 1 patches, you have to wonder.

Even with Switch, some of the games are getting annoying. Part games where you need to download bits to play. Those I am avoiding. Would happily pay $10 to get the full game on the cart.

At one point I used to say if digital takes over consoles, I may as well go be a PC gamer again on Steam. However, even that now is a pain. How many different digital distribution platforms are there? Steam, Origin, Epic Store, Ubisoft Store, I am sure I missed a few others.

It is actually leading me to eventually quit playing games and only play the occasional Nintendo game that comes complete on a cart or going back to my old systems and playing old games.



 

 

I certainly don't see the XSX fumbling out of the gate like the X1. First party games are going to be much stronger on the XSX and the console is rumored to be more powerful than the PS5. With Lockhart being the more affordable option, Xbox will have their bases covered with having a cheaper alternative console. Will it outsell the Ps5? Probably not, but it will at least stay competitive.



Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Radek said:
If someone switches from PS4/PS5 a console with amazing games to Xbox just because GamePass then I'm lost for words..

Why? It's a service that caters to the console gamer. 

It's value for money for a great product. Is that not what the core concept for a console has become? 

That's an easy one. Gamepass isn't giving you more games. It is giving you cheaper games.  There are no gamepass exclusive games.

You'd be giving up Playstation games (exclusives, or games simply not on the xbox) for cheaper games.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Cobretti2 said:
eva01beserk said:

To this day I have never bought a digital copy of a game. Im pretty sure there is a large percentage of the gaming market that like me are never planing to go digital. Some just dont trust it, some like resale. But this push for all digital that MS is aiming for could be a reason for people to skip xbox all toghether. Im willing to bet its more older gamers like myself who buy wide range of games but spend less per game. By that I mean loot boxes, cosmetics maps and all that other bullshit that "AAA" publishers try to shove down our throats. 

Edit: correction, I did buy a digital game. Hellblade. But there was no physical version for it. 

This is partially why I stick with Nintendo consoles and have a PS as backup for games I cannot get on Nintendo. Consoles got to a point with all the updates and patches needed that you are basically buying a broken game at launch. Now is that deliberate to try and make peopel be digital only gamers? or just cost cutting and let the gamers be the testers and complain and release patches for bugs.

But when they are releasing day 1 patches, you have to wonder.

Even with Switch, some of the games are getting annoying. Part games where you need to download bits to play. Those I am avoiding. Would happily pay $10 to get the full game on the cart.

At one point I used to say if digital takes over consoles, I may as well go be a PC gamer again on Steam. However, even that now is a pain. How many different digital distribution platforms are there? Steam, Origin, Epic Store, Ubisoft Store, I am sure I missed a few others.

It is actually leading me to eventually quit playing games and only play the occasional Nintendo game that comes complete on a cart or going back to my old systems and playing old games.

Well that is a recurring subject in VGC. But actually the reason most games get so many patches is because the complexity of those games increased at each gen.

Also Most of the games released you can play perfectly without any patch, still devs keep improving the game to cover any inconvenience. So basically you are saying that you preferred that whatever bugs there were in the game you rather have they stay that way instead of bothering with patches, that you can ignore if you want.

I don't remember a single game I couldn't play without patching and could count on a hand the games with gamebreaking bugs that were common to happen.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

thismeintiel said:
Hmm. Will this one be locked, too?

Huge difference, the thread is in gaming discussion but the poll is not one sided. It's a discussion piece article. 

PS5 is coming into this next generation with the biggest challenge since their measure of success is to match what they did with the PS4.

I think Microsoft will definitely come out on top with the next generation if you are simply comparing them to the benchmark set by the last generation. I expect that Sony's PS5 will continue to dominate world wide sales but Microsoft can take North America and make up ground in every other market. This generation should also be the start of the transition away from the console to streaming box and streaming services. If Microsoft and Sony release a stream box by the end of this generation do you still count them as overall console sales?

While the consumer friendly approach by Microsoft to support last gen console is going to hurt sales of Xbox Series x, it's also going to reduce sales of PS5. Casual market will have no drive to buy a console day 1. Microsoft ability to attract the casual market will be the difference maker next gen. 



HollyGamer said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Pirates are going to pirate no matter what. Give a thief a chance to steal, they’ll do it. There’s no need to make up hypotheticals or anything for them, just give them a way to steal and it’ll happen. 

How does this relate to GamePass though? There’s no exclusive content on GamePass and every game on it can be bought to own. It’s the exact opposite of all of those streaming services.

Actually if everything start to become subscription base model, all company will start to make exclusives content. Netflix early day are free and don't have any exclusives, But day by day as time goes and many company follow, they starting to make exclusives content. 

I bet with my both ear, if Subscription succeeded in converting ownership model to subs model, we will see the same situation with Video streaming. All company will start making exclusives content. 

Also the problem with subs payment  is how subs will devalue the games quality.


Why in the world would everything go to a subscription? Even right now, as popular and over saturated as the streaming market is, a vast majority of the stuff is available in physical form or in non-streaming form. CBS has free over the air broadcasting where a vast majority of their content can be consumed. They also have CBS All Access which has all that same stuff plus exclusive stuff. You can subscribe for that stuff, or you can just buy it physically and not subscribe. Same with virtually every other network out there who does a service. And Netflix, they also put their most popular stuff out in physical form.

Netflix started to make exclusive content because the prices to license out all the movies and television shows got to a point where it made sense for them to make their own stuff. Plus it's a way to get people to subscribe. I can't imagine being a consumer and thinking here's this thing that looks cool and I want to watch it, darn why did Netflix make this? How is that anything other than a win for consumers? lol

That doesn't apply to video games. There will be hardware, there will be physical media. Gaming already has companies making their own content and always had. They won't run into licensing issues because the industry doesn't work that way. EA won't come up to MicroSony and demand a ridiculous break on licensing fees because then where would EA take their games? That's different than the streaming market because there the pipeline moves in the opposite direction. Companies can have bidding wars for exclusive rights to their content.

Your worries sound like the same fearmongering we heard with EA Access and here we are at the end of the gen and the only company that followed suit is Ubisoft. And with them, they actually have their own platform so they probably shouldn't even count.

How in the world would an optional subscription service lower the quality of games LOL. Doesn't make any sense. In fact, some of the best content that is out there exists in the premium subscription based services. In the last Emmy awards, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Prime, FX, Hulu, etc dominated the nominations with NBC also showing up pretty well but none of the other over the air networks doing much of anything. I mean... they're trying to sell you a service. Exactly how does it make any sense to try to sell you worse games on a service?

GamePass hasn't had any negative impact on games and its been around for over two years.



LudicrousSpeed said:
HollyGamer said:

Actually if everything start to become subscription base model, all company will start to make exclusives content. Netflix early day are free and don't have any exclusives, But day by day as time goes and many company follow, they starting to make exclusives content. 

I bet with my both ear, if Subscription succeeded in converting ownership model to subs model, we will see the same situation with Video streaming. All company will start making exclusives content. 

Also the problem with subs payment  is how subs will devalue the games quality.


Why in the world would everything go to a subscription? Even right now, as popular and over saturated as the streaming market is, a vast majority of the stuff is available in physical form or in non-streaming form. CBS has free over the air broadcasting where a vast majority of their content can be consumed. They also have CBS All Access which has all that same stuff plus exclusive stuff. You can subscribe for that stuff, or you can just buy it physically and not subscribe. Same with virtually every other network out there who does a service. And Netflix, they also put their most popular stuff out in physical form.

Netflix started to make exclusive content because the prices to license out all the movies and television shows got to a point where it made sense for them to make their own stuff. Plus it's a way to get people to subscribe. I can't imagine being a consumer and thinking here's this thing that looks cool and I want to watch it, darn why did Netflix make this? How is that anything other than a win for consumers? lol

That doesn't apply to video games. There will be hardware, there will be physical media. Gaming already has companies making their own content and always had. They won't run into licensing issues because the industry doesn't work that way. EA won't come up to MicroSony and demand a ridiculous break on licensing fees because then where would EA take their games? That's different than the streaming market because there the pipeline moves in the opposite direction. Companies can have bidding wars for exclusive rights to their content.

Your worries sound like the same fearmongering we heard with EA Access and here we are at the end of the gen and the only company that followed suit is Ubisoft. And with them, they actually have their own platform so they probably shouldn't even count.

How in the world would an optional subscription service lower the quality of games LOL. Doesn't make any sense. In fact, some of the best content that is out there exists in the premium subscription based services. In the last Emmy awards, HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Prime, FX, Hulu, etc dominated the nominations with NBC also showing up pretty well but none of the other over the air networks doing much of anything. I mean... they're trying to sell you a service. Exactly how does it make any sense to try to sell you worse games on a service?

GamePass hasn't had any negative impact on games and its been around for over two years.

Just a matter of time. Gaas, loot boxes, Time savers, cosmetic only. It all started  non intrusive untill they had you hooked and got super invasive. 



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.