By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes (Opinion) : Why Sony Is About To Crush Microsoft All Over Again

Tagged games:

What do you think

Yes 23 57.50%

I fully disagree 9 22.50%

I half disagree 2 5.00%

i cannot predict the future 5 12.50%

Corona virus will win in the end 1 2.50%

Total:40
KLAMarine said:
SammyGiireal said:
Sony Will win again, I don't Microsoft built any momentum in terms of exclusives this gen. One could say "The PS2 crushed the Xbox, and the 360 lost a very tight race the following gen." That would be true, but the OG Xbox had many more highly rated exclusives in its resume and franchises like Halo were starting to soar....fast forward to today....and there hasn't been a great Halo game since Reach. So yeah ...Microsoft has an uphill battle next gen.

I think the 360 was a bigger success story than the PS3...

Who sold more? Who established a baseline for success the following gen? Yeah the 360 did really good, but all things considered Sony really shined the second half of that gen.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Papa Phil when he reads that Sony may sell more consoles:

https://giphy.com/gifs/94EQmVHkveNck

Click on 'Insert/edit image'. Here:

https://media.giphy.com/media/94EQmVHkveNck/giphy.gif

Don’t have that option on mobile.

I have to agree with almost everything in this article. The most logical combination for players at this point is two or all of the following: Nintendo, PlayStation, PC. I suppose if you have old Xbox and Xbox 360 games, it would be really nice to play them on the Xbox Series X. But Microsoft doesn't seem to be learning from the exclusives debacle of the eight gen.
I don't see myself ever getting an Xbox Series X. I'd rather save that money for a PS5 or gaming PC.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Crush is a strong word and I don't think that will happen. Sony will likely sell more units but Xbox will be more competitive this coming gen. Microsoft is rewriting the rules as well which I am glad for since I won't need the next Xbox and just play on PC. They get my money and I get to play their games. That said, PlayStation will be my primary platform next gen. We still need to see what they decide to do with their exclusives on PC beyond the rumoured Horizon.

Crushing or not, I got that the point of article is the question: "why bother buying an Xbox Series X system when you can just keep playing everything on your Xbox One or PC?"

To answer that. I wouldn't. Next year, if I've got some extra time, I want to have a go with Xbox and I'll buy the cheapest one available.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
KLAMarine said:

I think the 360 was a bigger success story than the PS3...

Who sold more? Who established a baseline for success the following gen? Yeah the 360 did really good, but all things considered Sony really shined the second half of that gen.

PS3 sold more but 80 million is a serious downgrade from the PS2's 150 million. The 360 saw a major upgrade in sales from the original XBox.

crissindahouse said:

Well, MS wants people to use a PC or console to play their games. Sony wants people to use a PS (I know they have streaming).

It would be obvious to see higher PS sales for that reason alone but that wouldn't crush MS or Xbox.

OdinHades said:

Microsoft isn't even competing anymore. They don't need to sell Xboxes. They are perfectly fine with their users playing on Windows. Xbox is just another platform for them to sell software. They are a software company after all. The bigger fight will be between MS, Valve and Epic. Plus Microsoft is in an extremely good condition for the upcoming cloud gaming wars with Azure.

Sony in the other hand relies big time on their business with PlayStation. It has become one of the most important branches in the entire company. So guess who will push more for hardware sales.

Doesn't mean jack in the long Run though. Consoles as we know them are coming to an end. Which platform will remain relevant in the glorious future of mobile and cloud gaming remains to be seen.

Both of them above ^^^

Yes, Microsoft is on the game software business. If you play on Xbox, they make money on hardware and the game. If you play on Win 10, you bought Win 10 and the game. They don't care.

We need to find out how to quantify Microsoft profit in another way instead of just xbox units sold.

But still, Playstation business (not only hardware) must be quantified by other numbers as well, such as subscriptions.

Leynos said:
I don't expect PS5 to dominate as PS4 did. PS4 had the benefit of Nintendo and MS doing everything wrong. Now Switch is on pace to outsell Wii. Series X announcement while it didn't set the world on fire. It wasn't an embarrassment either. It was serviceable. So already better than XBO. Not sure if it will be as close as PS3/360 sales but it will be much closer than this gen was.

Usually when analysts try to understand this business, they just exclude Nintendo because it went on a totally different path. Xbox and PS sell the same product. Nintendo is running another business.

For example, it's hard to believe that a console gamer that generally buys Xbox/PS will skip them to go Nintendo only next gen. Nintendo also still lacks lots of multi-plat releases, it sells the weakest hardware specs and their tag prices are quite premium in comparison with current gen consoles releases. Among other basic differences, despite all its qualities, appeal and success.

Last edited by 0D0 - on 29 January 2020

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Microsoft's Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 almost 2 to 1 in the United States. Even overall the 360 outsold the PS3 all the way until 2013 when the PS4 had launched. The PS3 definitely lost that generation, who cares Sony sold more Blu-ray players in the end (my brother in law picked up a PS3 for use as a bluray player, late in the generation). 

Technically Sony sold more PS3 than the Xbox 360, but it is kind of bizarre to call it winning to be behind for 7 years (even with no Xbox 360 sales in Japan and Asia) and then squeak out some sales after the generation has ended (the Last of Us basically).

Alistair said:

Microsoft's Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 almost 2 to 1 in the United States. Even overall the 360 outsold the PS3 all the way until 2013 when the PS4 had launched. The PS3 definitely lost that generation, who cares Sony sold more Blu-ray players in the end (my brother in law picked up a PS3 for use as a bluray player, late in the generation). 

Technically Sony sold more PS3 than the Xbox 360, but it is kind of bizarre to call it winning to be behind for 7 years (even with no Xbox 360 sales in Japan and Asia) and then squeak out some sales after the generation has ended (the Last of Us basically).

launch aligned PS3 was always ahead of X360. And great jab on the BR player, your brother in law paid 300 USD for a BD player when he could have bought for 50 if he gone for a BD player only.

Are you going to do the opposite way and claim that most Xbox360 owners had to buy 4 systems so in fact PS3 outsold X360 4:1?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Alistair said:

So, you bought a $199-$249 Blu-ray player when $50 options were readily available? Sure. Just like millions bought a $299 PS2 solely for DVDs when there were $50-$100 options available.

There are no if, ands, or buts, 360 came in last. Sony beat them with one less year on the market and, more importantly, fixed their mistakes to transition into the successful PS4 era.  This is the big difference between PS3 and XBO. While they may recover in the less brand loyal US, everywhere else MS's performance this gen in terms of games output has left them wanting. Sony made sure to end the PS3 on a high note, so people would want to stick with them.