By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Exclusive new FPS built from the ground up for Wii: Conduit

How is putting a party game on the Wii any where near equivalent to taking a risk?

@Okey

I think it just shows how much demand there is for a well made FPS on the Wii. People latched onto Red Steel despite it being mediocre at best, and there has been no real effort since then. Give someone who is desperate the slightest glimmer of hope and they will love whatever is at the end of that tunnel.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

You can feel the fear in this very thread, fear from anti-Wii fanboys that is.
It's felt through nonsense and contradiction from the haters.

I dislike FPS, and if one based on this engine is released, I will buy it, to support it, so that perhaps it becomes a success.
What's important here is not the game, it's the engine, and that's why you smell fear from the haters. You can feel what they think : "This game MUST NOT get ever released and if by horror it was, it MUST NOT sell well". All the crappy 3rd parties are surely starting sweating thinking the same thing.

That's because this game's engine has the potential to put them all to shame, and to show all their games were utter crap that didn't deserve even half the price people paid for them. If this engine gets high exposure, all the crappy 3rd parties' games are then bound to fail horribly in sales and in the mind of the Wii core gamers.
It could especially destroy the low (if there's any left) faith in Ubisoft (that said they would make games better than Nintendo quality-wise) and EA (who said they would get back to being the first publishers on Wii), coupled with their sales.
I needn't even talk about the Wii haters that would be shut off for good, once a game proves to them that the Wii is more capable than any last gen machine (it boggles the mind, but most haters actually don't even believe this).
Also, a game like that getting large exposure would raise the bar to a level that seems impossible to attain currently by most 3rd parties. They would be forced to license such an engine to even go on making games on the Wii.

So this game's engine is very important for Nintendo IMHO.
That's one of the rare western studios that I think Nintendo should make 2nd party. Of course, if they publish the game and it's a success, you'll see yet another "only Nintendo sells on Nintendo platform".
BTW, this engine shows how condescending and utter crap most of the 3rd parties that say the above sentence are. If anything, I'm glad to see that core gamers don't put up with their crappy games.

It was too early before to attack the core market. I think it's still a bit early. I also thought Nintendo waited for Factor 5 to make a good engine for these kind of games on the Wii. Looks like these devs were faster. More power to them, and IMHO they fit perfectly in Nintendo's strategy. There will be a wait and see period though, while everyone gauge the other parties to see what is the next move.
IMO someone will move, and the last would be Nintendo. That would be the most logical step for me. We'll see.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
routsounmanman said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Look, you guys know I'm a big Wii supporter....
But the fact that you are all citing a new game from the developers of 50 Cent: Bulletproof and Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude as "good third party support" is quite sad.

I can't imagine this being anything more than shovelware. Looks purty though.

I normally don't argue with you ( because I love you too much ), but you are a bit hard on people here. They aren't going all excited by just the announcement of the game or the developer's previous efforts, we have some quality signs here.

A built-up impressive engine for the Wii shows that this is no cash-in effort and the developer's claims and ambition is simply plausible.

I know Roussounelos. I'm just grumpy tonight, that's all >_>

Ohhh, Zervos... whatever you say makes me go :3 

--OkeyDokey-- said:

I can't imagine this being anything more than shovelware.

you keep using that word; i do not think it means what you think it means

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Nintendo Zealot said:
coolestguyever said:
I betcha this will sell about as well as no more heroes. people got so hyped about NMH and it sold like crap.

Wii owners don't want FPS's, they want another mario game. Just look at the sales. Mario sells, games like Red Steel and NMH don't sell that well.

NMH was an niche, ultra low budget game by a quirky developer. This game seems much more mainstream and much higher budget. Also NMH was rated Mature, this will probably be rated Teen which will allow it to sell a lot more copies.

NMH is also the best-selling game its' developer has ever made.

Also, coolestguyever?  I'm a Wii owner.  I want some FPS'.  So that phails epically. 

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
ookaze said:
You can feel the fear in this very thread, fear from anti-Wii fanboys that is.
It's felt through nonsense and contradiction from the haters.

I dislike FPS, and if one based on this engine is released, I will buy it, to support it, so that perhaps it becomes a success.
What's important here is not the game, it's the engine, and that's why you smell fear from the haters. You can feel what they think : "This game MUST NOT get ever released and if by horror it was, it MUST NOT sell well". All the crappy 3rd parties are surely starting sweating thinking the same thing.

That's because this game's engine has the potential to put them all to shame, and to show all their games were utter crap that didn't deserve even half the price people paid for them. If this engine gets high exposure, all the crappy 3rd parties' games are then bound to fail horribly in sales and in the mind of the Wii core gamers.
It could especially destroy the low (if there's any left) faith in Ubisoft (that said they would make games better than Nintendo quality-wise) and EA (who said they would get back to being the first publishers on Wii), coupled with their sales.
I needn't even talk about the Wii haters that would be shut off for good, once a game proves to them that the Wii is more capable than any last gen machine (it boggles the mind, but most haters actually don't even believe this).
Also, a game like that getting large exposure would raise the bar to a level that seems impossible to attain currently by most 3rd parties. They would be forced to license such an engine to even go on making games on the Wii.

So this game's engine is very important for Nintendo IMHO.
That's one of the rare western studios that I think Nintendo should make 2nd party. Of course, if they publish the game and it's a success, you'll see yet another "only Nintendo sells on Nintendo platform".
BTW, this engine shows how condescending and utter crap most of the 3rd parties that say the above sentence are. If anything, I'm glad to see that core gamers don't put up with their crappy games.

It was too early before to attack the core market. I think it's still a bit early. I also thought Nintendo waited for Factor 5 to make a good engine for these kind of games on the Wii. Looks like these devs were faster. More power to them, and IMHO they fit perfectly in Nintendo's strategy. There will be a wait and see period though, while everyone gauge the other parties to see what is the next move.
IMO someone will move, and the last would be Nintendo. That would be the most logical step for me. We'll see.

I couldn't have put it better myself

Sounds interesting..
Looking forward to know more

If no 3rd party publisher wants to make money on this, I think Nintendo should up and publish it themselves, and promote it heavily, as well. In fact, any time a developer is showing an actual level of dedication to the Wii and 3rd party publishers are too stupid to take notice, Nintendo should step in and publish the game and show what they're missing.

This game looks pretty impressive so far, especially if they really step up their game in the lighting and shadows of the real-time environments and characters and make the game fun. They'll need to go the extra mile in every facet on this one, though. Online leaderboards, online deathmatches, offline deathmatches, easter eggs galore, and a solid advertising and promotions campaign.

So far, I like the story idea and hope the rest of the game, gameplay, graphics, options, and music follow suit.

This is exactly what the Wii needs. Dedicated developers, mature titles, real hardcore-style games, and First Person Shooters. Hell, the damn system was practically made for 'em!

thekitchensink said:
Nintendo Zealot said:
coolestguyever said:
I betcha this will sell about as well as no more heroes. people got so hyped about NMH and it sold like crap.

Wii owners don't want FPS's, they want another mario game. Just look at the sales. Mario sells, games like Red Steel and NMH don't sell that well.

NMH was an niche, ultra low budget game by a quirky developer. This game seems much more mainstream and much higher budget. Also NMH was rated Mature, this will probably be rated Teen which will allow it to sell a lot more copies.

NMH is also the best-selling game its' developer has ever made.

Also, coolestguyever?  I'm a Wii owner.  I want some FPS'.  So that phails epically. 

No More Heroes is selling really well for a game with no real advertising or support (way to go, Ubi-Soft).  A quarter million copies sold for a game that has never once been advertised on TV in America (don't know about Europe)?  Let's see, 260,000 copies sold at $50 a pop, that's about $13,000,000.  Somehow I don't think it cost more than that to develop or produce.  I think by now, Suda51 is happier with it's overall sales. 

Like I've said before, and will continue to point out, one of the biggest problems with 3rd party Wii game sales is advertising.  These companies really want to make a true hardcore game on the system and have it be a success?  They need to actually let people know about the bloody thing.  When Nintendo finally allows downloadable demos, that'll be a nice start, but the companies themselves need to fucking apply themselves to getting the product out there.  If No More Heroes had a proper global advertising campaign, I have no doubt it'd be at 500,000 in sales right now if not well on it's way to being a million seller.  Since advertisements are used to sell crappy and lackluster games with success (stuff like Carnival Games, Lair, and Blacksight Area51), then why not use some damn money to advertise and heavily promote the good games as well?! 

Also, it would be helpful if some retail outlets would carry higher quality games.  Everytime I see Dancing with the Stars at Target instead of, oh, say, Geometry Wars or No More Heroes, I want to punch someone in the face.  Everytime I see one of Ubi-Soft's retarded "Animalz" games in a store instead of Contra 4 or Ninja Gaiden for the DS, I want to burn down a building.  Some people these days are fucking dedicated to failure.

I'm waiting for the people who usually moan about FPSes come in here and praise this game cause it's on Wii...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!