By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen's almost over!...So what is your favorite new IP?

For me it is a tossup between Octopath traveler and Dragon Quest Builders.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Overwatch, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Guacamelee

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

Guacamelee! is an IP from last gen.

Splatoon and Ori for sure

Hynad said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Guacamelee! is an IP from last gen.

Oh yeah, you're right! I got confused since there's been so much "last decade" threads lately.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Astral Chain. Most of my favorites this gen came from established series (Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI S, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Witcher 3)

Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Splatoon, Hollow Knight, and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Splatoon is a refreshing take on the shooter genre, and easily fixes the problem of no lines of battle in shooters. In a normal shooter there is no front line. Everybody is everywhere. In Splatoon where you can go is limited by how much paint the enemy team put down. This allows you to control the map, and seriously helps in preventing you from getting shot in the back.

Hollow Knight, because I love its charming yet dark world.

Horizon, because those robot creatures are fantastic.

Hollow Knight

NightlyPoe said:
Leynos said:

Dunno about that. Shooters are the most fad heavy genre and change so often. How quickly we went from Military FPS to Hero Shooter to Battle Royal in popularity. RPGs tend to not wave much. Same with fighting games. Splatoon will have to rapidly evolve by 3 to not become stale already. Splatoon 3 will need to be much larger in the scope of changes. Splatoon 2 was an incremental one. So unless Nintendo can keep up I can see Splatoon burning out fairly quickly.

I disagree.  Splatoon did the Nintendo thing and took a well-worn genre and found its own separate corner with simple mechanics and deep gameplay where no one could encroach.  Shooters can change as rapidly as they want around Splatoon, but Nintendo now owns this sub-genre.

Really, you could have written the same post about Mario Kart and the racing genre or Smash and the fighting genre.

Call of Duty still dominates the shooter market after over 12 years despite the fads. I agree, I think Splatoon could be an evergreen multiplayer franchise for Nintendo, kind of like what Mario Kart is compared to Forza or Gran Turismo.