By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This gen's almost over!...So what is your favorite new IP?

I feel like new IPs are one area where this gen underwhelmed, relatively speaking.

Don't get me wrong, there were some really cool ones, like Splatoon, Hellblade, and Horizon, but last gen for example we got Bioshock, Uncharted, Bayonetta, Mass Effect, Vanquish, Gears of War, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Dishonored, Dead Space...

Around the Network

Final Fantasy VII Remake of course. Even if it's not a new IP. LMAO

Horizon and detroit become human for me.

Hollow Knight

Wonderful 101, I loved Horizon zero dawn but its too similar to far cry and assassins creed, wonderful 101 is the reason why I fell in love with videogames 30 years ago, originality, something totally new, shows a lot of creativity and its challenging, Horizon zero dawn could never win it for me, because on difficult its just too easy. Games are supposed to be a challenge, that was the original purpose of a videogame. Also wonderful 101 is more replayable than Horizon, once you get to the end there's not much reason to restart the game, because you already know the story, but games such as wonderful 101 you could always replay to try get platinum on the levels.

A very close second best for me was Resogun, again, original, creative, challenging, different, replayable

Other new IP that really hit me as very original and creative and different and innovative was ZombiU, the fact that if you die, you die and don't come back, that alone was amazing, the use of 2 screens at the same time which adds to the stressful and scary nature of the game. The fact it was the only survival horror that actually made my heart beat really fast, specially on the survival mode in which you get only 1 character 1 life.

Unfortunately gamers didn't give it a chance, because people got so enamoured with graphics. For me as a huge fan of video games, this generation wouldn't be complete without ZombiU

Around the Network

Noita

I LOVE ICELAND!

V-r0cK said:
Mar1217 said:
Toss it between Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler.
These 2 games are the Final Fantasy games I wanted since I played FFX

Love your choices but not sure how you draw the line for what's considered for this gen.  Are 3DS and Switch games in the same gen?  But if you feel they are then that's cool too :)

The way I see it, any games launched since end of 2013. With that said, I didn't find those games that good, they were alright, could have been brilliant back in 2000, I didn't even bother to finish them, there's just no originality, its basically a repeat of the hundreds of JRPGS out there. Even final fantasy was never really that good, for its time final fantasy X had amazing graphics and story, but launching this generation it would look too old and limited and that's bravely default, story wasn't that good, music wasn't that good, game was super repetitive and graphics were bad.

Its a shame gamers don't value originality anymore, they keep wanting to relieve great games from the past, why do we ask for final fantasy? We don't we ask for something different, original, something better. This is why we keep having sequels and remasters, because gamers don't dream, they just want more of the same. Hence why Horizon will be on some of these lists, it doesn't do anything new or original, yet that's what gamers want, more of the same just better graphics.

Hellblade. It will stick with me for years. Really looking forward to the sequel.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

I feel like new IPs are one area where this gen underwhelmed, relatively speaking.

Don't get me wrong, there were some really cool ones, like Splatoon, Hellblade, and Horizon, but last gen for example we got Bioshock, Uncharted, Bayonetta, Mass Effect, Vanquish, Gears of War, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Dishonored, Dead Space...

Indeed.  And it seems to be a continuing trend from past generations.  Sequalitis and, now, remakeitis have taken time, money and creative energy away from original IPs and I'm worried it be worse during the next generation.

Too much power and control in the hands of the publishers who are too afraid to bank roll a new idea.

Exactly; it pisses me off that so much developmental resources are wasted these days on remaking old games instead of creating fresh new experiences, because companies are so risk-averse. Feels like every second release these days is just a HD paint job of a game I already played years if not decades ago.

Outer Worlds probably.

TitanFall, pubg, hellbound...

So many choices.