By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Pyro as Bill said:
haxxiy said:

As long as the health system can cope, the economic cost of work hours lost during sick leave are probably far, far less than those of a full lockdown.

Of course, it all hinges in fully isolating the elderly with not a lot of room for mistakes (which will happen, but then again, there'd be plenty of people violating the lockdown as well).

@John2290 - you're right, but a second wave could happen next winter regardless of the lockdowns. And then? Another lockdown?

The "It's just a flu bro" is true for under 70s so it shouldn't be too bad for the health service.

I think it is still possible to contain the pandemic and therefore eradicate the virus, like with SARS.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
jason1637 said:

There were 213 nuc cases at 2pm now were at 269. Whole state over 600

And De Blasio is STILL refusing to close New York City schools.

Dude, I get that it will cause logistical problems.  Figure it out.  You can't leave the biggest collection of Petri dishes in the city open because subway and healthcare workers will have to find a babysitter for their kids.  We regularly close schools for weeks and months at a time and somehow the healthcare infrastructure doesn't collapse every June.

As it is, it was irresponsible not to have closed the schools sometime last week.

Some states in germany closed school for most, but kept child-care for childs which parents work in critical infrastructure. I think this is a decent compromise.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

SpokenTruth said:
SpokenTruth said:
My wife used to work as a supply coordinator for a hospital downtown. They just called her in, right now, tonight.

My city has confirmed 2 more cases (3 total now).  The 2 new ones are not travel related and also unrelated to the first case (which was travel related).

That hospital my wife was called in to has 4-5 cases they highly suspect will be confirmed positive tomorrow after the results come back in. None are travel related.

This I think is always the point to worry, because you know it spreads undetected inside the community. Measures are different if cases are only brought in from the outside.

jason1637 said:
So someone on the diamond Princess that tested positive in February and was let back home after he got better just tested positive for the second time. CNN just broke this news.

So much for: "Let's build herd immunity by infecting the young and healthy."

Here is another interesting article that argues in favor of containment over mitigation:

https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
John2290 said:
We've raised a world of psychopaths. Hoards of people on twitter are praising the virus for cleansing the Earth and taking action against climate change, fuckers eho are telling everyone we should let the old die from the virus and keep on chugging as normal... throw them in the ditches I guess, all the millions of them. I'm done, what the fuck is the point with people as sick as this.

People like that only further prove my belief that some people just deserve to die. Their toxicity is why the world is such a shithole these days, especially this year.

Fuck 2020.

Please try to have a day,just one day without wishing for people's deaths.

Ontopic: People can be weird,the most stupid things are getting out of stock in stores here and i had to go shopping at evening yesterday to avoid the big crowd coming over the border from Belgium shopping here in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 15 March 2020

So apparently Trump is trying to buy exclusivity rights for the US for a potential German developed Corona vaccine. How nice of him to think about the rest of the world.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206555143/Corona-USA-will-Zugriff-auf-deutsche-Impfstoff-Firma.html (German link)

S.Peelman said:
So apparently Trump is trying to buy exclusivity rights for the US for a potential German developed Corona vaccine. How nice of him to think about the rest of the world.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article206555143/Corona-USA-will-Zugriff-auf-deutsche-Impfstoff-Firma.html (German link)

So mass production only for US first.

That exclusivity is likely to shorten the amount of time needed to bring the vaccine to people in US, but yeah would not be so fair on a humane level and it is insulting on a diplomatic level.

I do not think it will be possible for him to do that,Europe might make sure of it.

Immersiveunreality said:
S.Peelman said:

So mass production only for US first.

That exclusivity is likely to shorten the amount of time needed to bring the vaccine to people in US, but yeah would not be so fair on a humane level and it is insulting on a diplomatic level.

I do not think it will be possible for him to do that,Europe might make sure of it.

Yeah likely won’t happen. That this rumour now exists is bad enough though.

S.Peelman said:

So the german made, testing methode wasnt something america wanted.

But if those germans make a vaccine! Now we're talking!