By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

The booster shot got me tired for 3 days, I slept a lot more than usual. Sore arm lasted a couple days as well but not much of a bother. The very tired feeling was more annoying. But all boosted up now!

Kids are back to school, fingers crossed.

Around the Network

Day 2 of school, our youngest got pulled from class and send home because he said his stomach hurt at lunch. Nothing unusual for him, comes and goes, never a problem. But now he has to be 24hr symptom free, so tomorrow is out. And the chance he'll get send back again is very high. Is there any point in him going to school?

My wife argued with them at school, the teacher knows about it, to no avail. Kid banned from school as directed through Ontario's Covid-19 School and Child Screening Tool. They checked off Nausea, vomitting and/or diarrhea on the form he got. He has none of that, just acid reflux which he has had since child birth... (getting better all the time but still troubles him now and then) Send him to school without food?

SvennoJ said:

Day 2 of school, our youngest got pulled from class and send home because he said his stomach hurt at lunch. Nothing unusual for him, comes and goes, never a problem. But now he has to be 24hr symptom free, so tomorrow is out. And the chance he'll get send back again is very high. Is there any point in him going to school?

My wife argued with them at school, the teacher knows about it, to no avail. Kid banned from school as directed through Ontario's Covid-19 School and Child Screening Tool. They checked off Nausea, vomitting and/or diarrhea on the form he got. He has none of that, just acid reflux which he has had since child birth... (getting better all the time but still troubles him now and then) Send him to school without food?

Does it even make sense for them to do that if it's only one symptom?

Kakadu18 said:

It makes no sense, it was a problem before (kids getting send home with runny noses), now it's even more strict and no testing available anymore. Isolation period doesn't make sense either, 24hr symptom free. If they had found a reason to check off another 'symptom' like muscle ache / joint pain (which he was complaining about at home. His teacher is originally a phys ed teacher and likes to drill the kids in class with lots of excercises. After 5 weeks home, yep he was feeling sore the next day) then his brother would have been send home as well...

Anyway he wasn't nauseous, didn't vomit, no diarrhea, so no idea why they marked that off when he just had some congestion or acid reflux. Do they have a quota to send home or something? So far 1.5 days at school this year lol.

SvennoJ said:
Kakadu18 said:

It makes no sense, it was a problem before (kids getting send home with runny noses), now it's even more strict and no testing available anymore. Isolation period doesn't make sense either, 24hr symptom free. If they had found a reason to check off another 'symptom' like muscle ache / joint pain (which he was complaining about at home. His teacher is originally a phys ed teacher and likes to drill the kids in class with lots of excercises. After 5 weeks home, yep he was feeling sore the next day) then his brother would have been send home as well...

Anyway he wasn't nauseous, didn't vomit, no diarrhea, so no idea why they marked that off when he just had some congestion or acid reflux. Do they have a quota to send home or something? So far 1.5 days at school this year lol.

This is dumb. I have allergies. When the pandemic started I was about to finish my last year at school. If every time someone had a runny nose they'd get send home, half the class would have been gone very quickly. Imagine they start sending children home because they sneeze.

If they had actual Covid symptoms it would need to be way longer than just 24 hours. Makes no sense.

And why isn't testing available anymore? Is there a shortage?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

This is dumb. I have allergies. When the pandemic started I was about to finish my last year at school. If every time someone had a runny nose they'd get send home, half the class would have been gone very quickly. Imagine they start sending children home because they sneeze.

If they had actual Covid symptoms it would need to be way longer than just 24 hours. Makes no sense.

And why isn't testing available anymore? Is there a shortage?

Omicron created a shortage (couldn't keep up with testing) so they restricted it to only essential workers and those at high risk. They never turned it back and now pretend the pandemic is over, opening up again. Except for school guidelines apparently.

Both our kids are fully vaccinated, haven't been anywhere until going back to school this Monday. Nothing makes sense anymore!

Super interesting and also super long article about the Shi Zhengli (aka Bat-woman) the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the research around Coronaviruses and SARS-1 and now SARS-2:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/02/09/1044985/shi-zhengli-covid-lab-leak-wuhan/

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Super interesting and also super long article about the Shi Zhengli (aka Bat-woman) the Wuhan Institute of Virology and the research around Coronaviruses and SARS-1 and now SARS-2:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/02/09/1044985/shi-zhengli-covid-lab-leak-wuhan/

Great article, very interesting story.

What stands out

"Shi is a victim of the Western mistrust of China and Chinese science,”

“It’s now over two years since the first efforts to willfully politicize the pandemic origins, and to undermine science and the work that scientists do in often difficult circumstances,” says Daszak. “All of us have lost due to this politicization. When you mix politics with science, you get politics.”

So very true, and will only hasten the likelihood of another pandemic.
While politics about vaccines is what keeps the current pandemic going...

And this :(

Not surprisingly, the allegations have taken a personal toll. “I’m a human being as well, you know,” Shi told me. “Have they considered what it feels like to be wrongly accused of unleashing a pandemic that has killed millions?” 

Since the outbreaks, Shi has received numerous abusive emails and phone calls, even death threats. She has been called a liar, a mass murderer, and an accomplice of the Chinese Communist Party (even though she’s not a member). In May 2020, it was falsely rumored that she had defected to France with nearly 1,000 classified documents. 

At Shi’s bat-themed office, I asked her how the past two years have marked her. Her girlish face suddenly dimmed. 

“I can’t bear looking back,” she said, and turned her head away. 

A long silence ensued. 

“I used to admire the West. I used to think it was a just and meritocratic society. I used to think it must be wonderful to live in a country where anybody could criticize the government.”

“What do you think now?” I pressed.

“Now I think if you are Chinese then it doesn’t matter how good you are at your job—because you are tried by nationality,” she said. “I’ve now realized that the Western democracy is hypocritical, and that much of its media is driven by lies, prejudices, and politics.” 

Shi paused and drew a sharp breath. Her body tensed, blood flushing her cheeks. The air swelled and seemed to grow hotter.

“They’ve lost the moral high ground as far as I’m concerned,” she said. And if politics overpowers science, “then there will be no basis for any cooperation.” 

I found it pretty cringe already when the commentators at the opening ceremony repeatedly directed sly digs at China. Especially about the ethnicities and how they are/were treated. This by the Canadian broadcasters while we're here in Canada are dealing with our own neglect and abuse of first nations peoples and others. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

Interesting article from WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2022/02/10/end-pandemic-wont-come-biology-or-medicine-it-will-come-us/

[...] So when will the pandemic actually end?

According to Fauci’s logic, the answer is only when the numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths come down and stay down. But as appealing as this notion is in its simple clarity, it clashes with history: Over the past century, the end of respiratory pandemics has never been clear-cut.

Instead, in four cases — the 1918, 1957, 1968 and 2009 flu pandemics — hospitalizations and deaths ascribed to the pandemic pathogen continued for years after the sense of emergency had passed. This reality reveals that the “end” to a pandemic can’t be determined by some sort of epidemiological milestone or acquiring a magic-bullet treatment that removes all risk from the virus. Rather, historically, the resumption of regular life — if it was even interrupted in the first place — guides the end of a pandemic.

Most experts agree that the 1918 flu pandemic, caused by an H1N1 virus, had three waves, concluding in the winter of 1919. Some, however, include a fourth wave and date the end to 1920. This cloudiness arises because deaths continued in the years after the declared end of the pandemic; as late as the winter of 1928-29, for example, H1N1-related deaths in the United States topped 100,000. [...]

Even though it might take years for a population to fully adapt to a novel pathogen (though with less and less impact as time goes by), pandemics often end simply when people are done with it.

People are definitely done with the pandemic, even though still over 70K people die each week

In total 17,381,708 new cases were reported last week (down from 21,074,539) to a total of 408,697,981
Also another 76,627 more deaths were reported (slightly up from 75,811) to a total of 5,820,065

Big difference in how quickly the USA got through Omicron while it's continuing much longer in Europe. Could just be different measuring, done with counting.

The continents

Europe reported 9.11 million new cases (down from 11.0 million) and 23,782 more deaths (slightly up from 22,943)
Asia reported 4.15 million new cases (down from 4.63 million) and 15,193 more deaths (slightly up from 14,242)
North America reported 2.09 million new cases (down from 2.73 million) and 22,434 more deaths (down from 24,003)
South America reported 1.68 million new cases (down from 2.24 million) and 11,875 more deaths (slightly up from 11,380)
Oceania reported 198K new cases (down from 209K) and 460 deaths (572 last week)
Africa reported 147K new cases (down from 216K) and 2,883 more deaths (slightly up from 2,671)

Corners of the world

USA reported 1.73 million new cases (down from 2.23 million) and 17,476 more deaths (slightly down from 18,869)
Brazil reported 972K new cases (down from 1.28 million) and 6,163 more deaths (up from 5,121)
Japan reported 659K new cases (up from 586K) and 878 deaths (397 last week)
India reported 504K new cases (down from 1.22 million) and 6,869 more deaths (down from 7,924)
South Korea reported 305K new cases (up from 141K) and 176 deaths (158 last week)
Iran reported 241K new cases (up from 210K) and 756 deaths (325 last week)
Australia reported 178K new cases (down from 194K) and 409 deaths (537 last week)
Canada reported 70.4K new cases (down from 96.2K) and 833 deaths (down from 1,025)
South Africa reported 18.8K new cases (down from 20.6K) and 1,085 more deaths (982 last week)

Also differences here how countries get through Omicron. Australia and Canada have a clear peak in deaths and are declining again.
Weekly deaths in South Africa never came down and slowly keep rising.
India managed to nip Omicron in the bud while South Korea and Japan are rising higher than ever.
Brazil peaked in cases, yet unlike India, deaths still keep rising.

Europe in detail

Germany and Russia seem to be the last ones to peak in Europe.
Deaths in the UK remain high, coming down very slowly. Which is pretty much true for most of Europe.

Also some odd differences here, death toll doesn't seem to go up in the Netherlands at all, while they are going up in Belgium with far fewer cases.
Ireland managed to cut Omicron short and is also remaining very low in deaths.

Global vaccination rate is now 53.73% (+2.61%) Big adjustment in Asia again, up this time

South America 68.84% (+0.69%)
Europe 63.76% (+0.19%)
Asia 62.84% (+3.09%) adjustment
North America 60.84% (+0.28%)
Oceania 59.92% (0.21%)
Africa 11.20% (+0.28%)

It looks like people are also done with vaccines, slowing down more and more.
While we're at 80% fully vaccinated in Canada, only 50% of people showed up for booster shots and only 55% of eligible children have had their first shot.

Hospitalizations are going down, but we're not out of the woods yet, and still the unvaccinated are straining the healthcare system