By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
EricHiggin said:

Elon Musk would agree, yet disagree. It's not overcomplicating, it's taking as much as possible necessary into account to make it simpler.

No offense, but what you're doing seems to be more putting up as much smoke as possible to obscure what's actually not complicated at all.

No offence taken. I'm not a pyro and don't smoke. Makes life less complicated.

Rab said:
EricHiggin said:

Giving up much freedom to get freedom sooner cancels itself out, no different than giving up a little freedom and dealing with that for a while longer. How it will play out later on, which nobody knows, and how it will effect everything/everyone else, will be what gives a reasonable indication of who did what better.

Except the NZ/Australian freedoms are deeper and for everyone including for the old and health compromised, everyone is safer in this form of universal freedom, these countries truly believe the idea that with freedom comes responsibility, and it shows in practice to work beautifully 

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin disagrees.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
curl-6 said:

No offense, but what you're doing seems to be more putting up as much smoke as possible to obscure what's actually not complicated at all.

No offence taken. I'm not a pyro and don't smoke. Makes life less complicated.

Rab said:

Except the NZ/Australian freedoms are deeper and for everyone including for the old and health compromised, everyone is safer in this form of universal freedom, these countries truly believe the idea that with freedom comes responsibility, and it shows in practice to work beautifully 

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin disagrees.

That's out of context and you know it :P

We all give up some "freedom" to be together in a harmonious community, covid has shown some communities are better than others at this, to have absolute freedom means being alone, few including yourself choose that path  

noname2200 said:
vivster said:

The good thing about vaccination is that it works both ways. You can't get or give the virus. That means 2 families can come together even if only one side of the family is vaccinated.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but do we know that? My understanding is that we only know the currently approved vaccines (eventually) teach your body how to combat the virus' spike protein; no one knows whether it'll cut down on asymptomatic spreading, and the two approved vaccines are using a method never used before. AstraZeneca says their data shows a decrease in transmission for their own vaccine, but their results are (apparently) screwed up, so no one really has a clue how reliable their data is.

Good points. Just tried to take some edge off. However it is safe to assume that the first vaccines will at least reduce the viral load with later vaccines being even more focused on it. First it's gonna be important that people actually take the vaccine and spreading doubt about it doesn't help that.

melbye said:

Corona-virus will never be cured as long as authoritarians can use it to control the population

Depends how competent the leader is. The last authoritarian has been voted out partly because of the virus.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but do we know that? My understanding is that we only know the currently approved vaccines (eventually) teach your body how to combat the virus' spike protein; no one knows whether it'll cut down on asymptomatic spreading, and the two approved vaccines are using a method never used before. AstraZeneca says their data shows a decrease in transmission for their own vaccine, but their results are (apparently) screwed up, so no one really has a clue how reliable their data is.

Your understanding is correct. Not sure why vivster thinks otherwise when the German news keeps repeating this same thing ad nauseum.

Because vivster doesn't consume German news. Wouldn't even have known that there is gonna be a lockdown if someone hadn't told me personally.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Yes but as far as I know we didn't have to shut down our lives for one whole year because of polio. Also children infected had no choice. Today a person that is in the risk group has the option to isolate or make people that lives with them to isolate. There is no reason why you are not allowed to see people that are not in the risk group. There is not reason a group of 5, 10, 20, 50 people that have no contact with risk group people to not be able to see each other. I was reading about the average age for covid deaths in UK and it is pretty abysmal. The vast majority are people above 70. If you are under 60 and is not fat or have any otther serious condition than most likely nothing will happen to you. Everyone I know that got covid recovered pretty easily just staying home.

I'm just tired. I have been following the rules since the beginning and agree that at the start of the pandemic we had to take extraordinary measures, we didn't know much about the virus and the health are sector could collapse. But here we are almost one year later and we are still doing the same thing and making peoples lives miserable when it is clear this is not necessary. And most likely we will have to keep doing it for one more year at least until this is 100% erradicated.

Another problem is that a lot of people just don't want to take the vaccine, especially "minorities" and other groups that are being heavily impacted. So people will keep on being infected and dying and we will keep on being locked.

Sorry I'm just ranting. Its probably just frustration for not seeing a feasible end to all of this.

Of course you're getting frustrated when all you think about is nonsense.

There are more people dying from this virus than ever and you think we're doing fine and those measures aren't necessary? Just because the news has fatigued and isn't talking about it as dramatically anymore doesn't mean it's over. It's as bad as ever and the only reason why nothing has collapsed yet is

1. The measures you're so tired of are working!

2. The health sector has massively expanded capacity.

We're burying more people than ever, we just got more efficient at it. To say that we're doing fine is a fucking joke. It's winter now and it's going to get a lot worse, because a virus like that spreads like crazy in that season.

Yes, we're learning more and more about the virus. For example how even in asymptomatic or mild cases it can do lasting damage to the body. I'm not gonna stop social distancing and wearing a mask just because there is "only" a 0.1% chance for me to die or fuck up my body long term. I like living and I like being healthy, sorry if that is an inconvenience to you.

Well, then just stay home. Forever.

Last edited by EnricoPallazzo - on 18 December 2020

curl-6 said:
EricHiggin said:

Yes, but that's a problem as well. You can't say NZ is a shining example of doing it right because they've beat it, then later on explain they hadn't actually beat it. You've just screwed yourself big time by way overexaggerating. Not to mention some people saw that as more of a political statement then a medical one.

How beneficial matters a lot. Just because eating something you don't like will make you a little bit healthier and will indirectly help others a bit isn't going to convince people to change their diet. It has to make a worthwhile difference to them. Having to wear the high end mask to get a reasonable benefit doesn't help either unless the Gov is going to cover that.

NZ has done a much better job than the vast majority of other countries, that's a fact, their cases have been in the single digits for two months, and most of those in managed isolation, not in the community, how many countries can claim that? They effectively have beaten it.

The expert consensus is that masks help, and even if they only partially helped, you'd be crazy to avoid such a tiny inconvenience when there's a chance it could save lives.

I think what really helps is that they just hard closed their borders. And somehow they were not being attacked for it.

I remember the first thing I thought when the pandemic started was "just close the borders!!!". In UK that never really happened and it was just sad, when Italy was in the middle of a chaos there were daily flights arriving here from Italy, people even filmed them entering the country by Heathrow and not even being asked questions.

Later on before the second wave things were getting better then a lot of people flew to other countries for vacation and then when they came back the rate of infection increased again.

NZ did the right thing, ignored those complaining about closing the borders and the political impact of it and now they just beat it. But just try to open borders again and you will see that it will come back. It is a nasty virus.

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:
vivster said:

Of course you're getting frustrated when all you think about is nonsense.

There are more people dying from this virus than ever and you think we're doing fine and those measures aren't necessary? Just because the news has fatigued and isn't talking about it as dramatically anymore doesn't mean it's over. It's as bad as ever and the only reason why nothing has collapsed yet is

1. The measures you're so tired of are working!

2. The health sector has massively expanded capacity.

We're burying more people than ever, we just got more efficient at it. To say that we're doing fine is a fucking joke. It's winter now and it's going to get a lot worse, because a virus like that spreads like crazy in that season.

Yes, we're learning more and more about the virus. For example how even in asymptomatic or mild cases it can do lasting damage to the body. I'm not gonna stop social distancing and wearing a mask just because there is "only" a 0.1% chance for me to die or fuck up my body long term. I like living and I like being healthy, sorry if that is an inconvenience to you.

Well, then just stay home. Forever.

I will as long as it takes. Good thing I know the difference between a year and forever. I know math is hard, but try to look it up sometime.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Torillian said:
EricHiggin said:

Driving is just as 'contagious' as socializing. The accidents themselves aren't exactly contagious, just like how covid isn't contagious simply on it's own.

Traffic accidents take place everywhere since vehicles have spread worldwide. Who decides how many deaths are reasonable? Who decides if it's news worthy? What's that matter if none of them are seen as trustworthy?

I'm going to need some kind of proof that driving accidents are as contagious as a respiratory disease that has caused a pandemic and killed 316,000 people in America alone in just 9 months. 

Google claims roughly 16,650 people have died in car crashes in 2020 so far (in the USA).

EricHiggin said:
Torillian said:

I don't honestly remember anyone other than the orange dipshit saying "even a single life lost to coronavirus is too much". That's just what he says when he wants to distract from the fact 300,000 died under his watch. I'm more in the camp that we do the restrictions that are recommended by the experts to try and limit it so 300,000 aren't 600,000. 

I'll put the question back to you, how many people would have to die before coronavirus is something that is worth quarantining for? 

Trump did say it, because some of the Dems and media were saying it and it was being used against him as if he didn't care because he wasn't saying it. Usually he goes against their slogan's, but because it's true and he also agrees it made sense to use it.

Can't honestly answer that because I don't trust the numbers. When it's been shown that this year the total deaths are in line with what's been normal for the last decade, even though it should be much higher because of covid, I can't help but wonder. Especially when it get's blocked and taken down soon after.

Things like the amount of cold and flu deaths being lower, which isn't a surprise, because if covid is worse then odds are high that some of those people are going to die from covid instead. In which case, if statistically a certain amount in general die every year from the cold and flu, and some of them died of covid instead, why is that being added to the death count, or blamed on anyone else? If they were unfortunately going to pass from one of those illnesses, due to underlying conditions or whatever, why is that someone else's fault? We never say anything about it otherwise.

I will say it's not just about how many. Who matters just as much. There are certain age ranges that are more important to keep healthy in a more hostile outbreak. Gender would also come into play if that ever was a target and the illness was bad enough.

Bullshit.  Eric what you just said is wrong (so either you dont know better, or are lying).

Excess Mortality for the USA back in early october 2020, was up over 300,000 deaths.
This was back when US counted 198,000+ deaths due to Covid19.

Now that offical numbers are roughly ~318,000 deaths...... Im pretty sure excess deaths in the USA is over 480,000.

The thing is, the USA doesnt show the public, its own numbers on stuff like Mortality Excess.
You only get news of it, when someone thats got access to it, speaks about it.
(in alot of european countries, you can actually go view statistics like that, open to the public)

Source: (of my claim, about excess mortality being over 300k back in oct)
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm

Also you shouldn't trust the numbers.
They are higher than the ones reported.
Goverment doesnt want panic, or backlash about handleing of the pandemic, so most go out of their way to rather under-report, than other way around.

Theres proof, of counting changeing after CDC handed it over to the whitehouse HHS department run by Trump.
Without a doubt, Trump people are underplaying it.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 18 December 2020

EricHiggin said:

Out of context, yet if you want to apply it to this situation it becomes

"Those who temporarily give up a little freedom, purchase long lasting safety"

EnricoPallazzo said:

I think what really helps is that they just hard closed their borders. And somehow they were not being attacked for it.

I remember the first thing I thought when the pandemic started was "just close the borders!!!". In UK that never really happened and it was just sad, when Italy was in the middle of a chaos there were daily flights arriving here from Italy, people even filmed them entering the country by Heathrow and not even being asked questions.

Later on before the second wave things were getting better then a lot of people flew to other countries for vacation and then when they came back the rate of infection increased again.

NZ did the right thing, ignored those complaining about closing the borders and the political impact of it and now they just beat it. But just try to open borders again and you will see that it will come back. It is a nasty virus.

You have a point there, one of the reasons we can't get rid of it. NZ doesn't have truck drivers that cross the border on a daily basis nor people working cross border as a daily commute, nor Americans traveling through the country to get to Alaska or their second homes or business.

Canadians do the same thing, heck even now people are going to Florida for the winter. You can't stop your own population from leaving and you can't deny them re-entry. Plus we won't put incoming people in quarantine hotels, we just tell to them to self isolate for a few weeks and hopefully they listen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-covid-19-1.5843872

In late March, Canada closed its borders to foreigners visiting for non-essential reasons. Since then, there have been more than seven million entries into the country by land or air by Canadians and foreigners

Vinette said truck drivers account for the largest group of people entering Canada during the pandemic, making up about half of the total entries so far.

The second-biggest group is individuals who live in border towns and have jobs on the opposite side of the border, he said.

Both groups are exempt from Canada's 14-day quarantine requirement — which was designed to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

The virus will keep coming in. It seems to be impossible to hand trucks off at the border so drivers don't cross borders, only the trailers. Plus making arrangements for those working cross border is too complicated as well, while nurses etc have to live away from home as a precaution...

Of course we can still do much more to limit community spread, yet people need to live (have fun) and (short term) money is more important in the end. It could be worse, it's just a bit over 100 deaths per day...

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

Out of context, yet if you want to apply it to this situation it becomes

"Those who temporarily give up a little freedom, purchase long lasting safety"

EnricoPallazzo said:

You have a point there, one of the reasons we can't get rid of it. NZ doesn't have truck drivers that cross the border on a daily basis nor people working cross border as a daily commute, nor Americans traveling through the country to get to Alaska or their second homes or business.

Canadians do the same thing, heck even now people are going to Florida for the winter. You can't stop your own population from leaving and you can't deny them re-entry. Plus we won't put incoming people in quarantine hotels, we just tell to them to self isolate for a few weeks and hopefully they listen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-covid-19-1.5843872

In late March, Canada closed its borders to foreigners visiting for non-essential reasons. Since then, there have been more than seven million entries into the country by land or air by Canadians and foreigners

Vinette said truck drivers account for the largest group of people entering Canada during the pandemic, making up about half of the total entries so far.

The second-biggest group is individuals who live in border towns and have jobs on the opposite side of the border, he said.

Both groups are exempt from Canada's 14-day quarantine requirement — which was designed to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

The virus will keep coming in. It seems to be impossible to hand trucks off at the border so drivers don't cross borders, only the trailers. Plus making arrangements for those working cross border is too complicated as well, while nurses etc have to live away from home as a precaution...

Of course we can still do much more to limit community spread, yet people need to live (have fun) and (short term) money is more important in the end. It could be worse, it's just a bit over 100 deaths per day...

Agree 100%. NZ deserves the kudos for handling the situation but we need keep those things in mind when people say "ZN did why cant we do the same?". It is a very different situation. Still I think government could have been more nefarious in dealing with the situation. I would much rather close the borders 100% and deny people entering and leaving the country to be able to have a life that is closer to "normal" and keep stores open and us being able to see family and friends, than live at least 2 years in this miserable situation. What happened after people came back from summer holidays was so predictable. 

What you said about 100 deaths per day, I believe vaccination will bring this number drastically down while contamination will still he high. Which brings me to my initial point which was considered by some as nonsense:

- If we know the vast majority of the people that die are older than 70 and people in group risk, and this people is being vaccinated and the number of deaths will go down drastically, what would be the threshold for us to come back to normal? 10 deaths per day? 1? Maybe hospital capacity? 

- What about the people that refuse to take the vaccine (50% in France) still keeping the rates high? Are they still going to keep us locked because of it?

- What about religious groups that still refuse to cancel their gatherings, keeping contamination and death rates high? Are they still going to keep us locked because of it?

There needs to be a moment when government will tell us "now it is under your responsibility regarding your life, you are allowed to leave home now". And if you want to stay forever locked just do it. If you want to be part of a gangbang with strangers just do it. Want to go to a football game, just do it and you deal with the consequences.