By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

I personally would pass on any vaccine until a proper safety profile has been established, and continue to be super careful in the meantime. I am frequently exposed to COVID, but masks, social distancing, being blunt with those approaching me without a mask on have kept me safe I believe, not beta-testing this shit

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It's not as cut and dried as that; antibodies naturally diminish over time as they're no longer needed once an infection is cleared; what's more important to lasting immunity are Memory T Cells and B Cells as these last much much longer and 'remember' past pathogens so that a fast and effective immune response can be mounted if it is ever encountered again.

It's still not quite clear how long Acquired Immunity lasts for COVID, including after vaccination, but there is some evidence for lasting and durable immunity thanks to these memory cells.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200908/Memory-B-cells-indicate-durable-immunity-in-COVID-19.aspx

Unfortunately there is also evidence that people can get re-infected and even someone who died after getting covid-19 for a second time.

The problem is, it simply takes time to find this out.

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

It's not as cut and dried as that; antibodies naturally diminish over time as they're no longer needed once an infection is cleared; what's more important to lasting immunity are Memory T Cells and B Cells as these last much much longer and 'remember' past pathogens so that a fast and effective immune response can be mounted if it is ever encountered again.

It's still not quite clear how long Acquired Immunity lasts for COVID, including after vaccination, but there is some evidence for lasting and durable immunity thanks to these memory cells.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200908/Memory-B-cells-indicate-durable-immunity-in-COVID-19.aspx

Unfortunately there is also evidence that people can get re-infected and even someone who died after getting covid-19 for a second time.

There have been instances of reinfection yes, but given how few they are in relation to the tens of millions of people who've contracted COVID, it's still quite probable that immunity applies in the vast majority of cases, otherwise surely we'd be seeing far more reinfections in places where the virus is rampant. But yes, time will tell.

I still maintain it is far too early to give up on immunization when we have dozens of vaccines in trials, using a wide variety of different methods, several of which have shown promising early data. 

curl-6 said:

There have been instances of reinfection yes, but given how few they are in relation to the tens of millions of people who've contracted COVID, it's still quite probable that immunity applies in the vast majority of cases, otherwise surely we'd be seeing far more reinfections in places where the virus is rampant. But yes, time will tell.

I still maintain it is far too early to give up on immunization when we have dozens of vaccines in trials, using a wide variety of different methods, several of which have shown promising early data. 

Oh sure, immunization will need to happen to stop this as any other method has already been proven to fail :/ I'm just a bit worried about people seeing news like this and figuring, well it's about to be over and done with, so no more need for social distancing. It already seemed that a lot of people had put the goal post for November while experts warn this will go on into 2022.

In other depressing news
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/one-fifth-of-covid-19-patients-get-a-psychiatric-diagnosis-within-90-days-study-suggests-1.5182336

Researchers looked at the medical records of 69 million people in the United States between January 20 and August 1. The data included 62,000 people who contracted COVID-19, as part of what the authors described as the largest study so far on links between coronavirus and mental health challenges.

In the three months following testing positive for COVID-19, almost one in five survivors (18%) were found to get a psychiatric diagnosis. This is about twice as likely as for other groups of patients with different illnesses and conditions analyzed as part of the study over the same period.

New records here today, again. Manitoba is going back into lock down on Thursday, while the PM is calling on all provinces to act now. In Ontario we're faffing about with some rather meaningless restrictions waiting for the ICU to fill up.

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

Oh sure, immunization will need to happen to stop this as any other method has already been proven to fail :/ I'm just a bit worried about people seeing news like this and figuring, well it's about to be over and done with, so no more need for social distancing. It already seemed that a lot of people had put the goal post for November while experts warn this will go on into 2022.

In other depressing news
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/one-fifth-of-covid-19-patients-get-a-psychiatric-diagnosis-within-90-days-study-suggests-1.5182336

Researchers looked at the medical records of 69 million people in the United States between January 20 and August 1. The data included 62,000 people who contracted COVID-19, as part of what the authors described as the largest study so far on links between coronavirus and mental health challenges.

In the three months following testing positive for COVID-19, almost one in five survivors (18%) were found to get a psychiatric diagnosis. This is about twice as likely as for other groups of patients with different illnesses and conditions analyzed as part of the study over the same period.

New records here today, again. Manitoba is going back into lock down on Thursday, while the PM is calling on all provinces to act now. In Ontario we're faffing about with some rather meaningless restrictions waiting for the ICU to fill up.

Oh I definitely don't mean to ever give the impression that it'll all be over soon, and we definitely need to continue with things like social distancing and masks that reduce the spread of the disease for some time to come.

I just also try to focus on positive developments because I find focusing too much on the negatives isn't good for my mental health. As awful as the situation is now in many countries, with multiple promising vaccines looking to start rollout in the first half of 2021 and treatments having improved drastically since the onset of the pandemic, at least it's not all bad news.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

There are a number of factors why we're seeing very few cases of reinfection.

1. The majority of covid cases have happened very recently

2. covid survivors are more likely to take measures to prevent another infection

3. a second infection may be less likely to have strong symptoms

4. some new infections may already be reinfections but are impossible to detect as such

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Some good news, Europe is currently tracking lower than at this point last week in reported cases. Reported deaths are still rising but those generally lag up to 2 weeks behind. It does look Europe has reached the peak of the second wave, most countries are stabilizing while a couple are declining.

Worldwide however is still setting new records, 613K new cases yesterday, mainly thanks to the USA rising sharply atm, 141% week over week change. Other places are also starting to see signs of a second wave. Canada is still growing as well. Meanwhile they're warning here that a second lock down will kill off thousands of smaller businesses :/

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 12 November 2020

If only there was somehow a way to prevent spread, like lockdowns or masks. Sadly no one has invented those yet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

One of my colleagues tested positive yesterday, he's the 7th person among us to do so, out of about 15 employees. Luckily, the clients have still remained healthy. My holidays are looking bleak right now unless things change drastically in the coming weeks; too many people not giving a shit and considering their right to get drunk and party above basic human rights such as others living and feeling safe. Fuck people, seriously. How hard can it be to stay at home or avoid getting fucked up for a few weeks?

I wonder if id be tested positive if id had this year what i had last year. The sverity of the symptoms, the time it lasted and complications month after i got rid of it. Quite the experience. But not Covid19... i guess...

Hunting Season is done...