By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/coronavirus-china-wuhan-latest/2020/01/23/2dc947a8-3d45-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

Woof.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

Just checked and in 2017 in the US alone 55000 people died from Influenza and Pneumonia. Haven't seen any panic about that anywhere.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

barneystinson69 said:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/coronavirus-china-wuhan-latest/2020/01/23/2dc947a8-3d45-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

Woof.

"The people who died were between ages 48 and 89, but the vast majority were at the top of that range and almost all of them had existing health conditions."

Totally shaking in my boots right now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
barneystinson69 said:

Woof.

"The people who died were between ages 48 and 89, but the vast majority were at the top of that range and almost all of them had existing health conditions."

I'd be a little more than just laughing it off as nothing...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3047720/chinese-premier-li-keqiang-head-coronavirus-crisis-team-outbreak

Also, someone in their late 30s with no pre-existing health problems died. And given China is locking down almost 60 million people... 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
vivster said:

I'd be a little more than just laughing it off as nothing...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3047720/chinese-premier-li-keqiang-head-coronavirus-crisis-team-outbreak

Also, someone in their late 30s with no pre-existing health problems died. And given China is locking down almost 60 million people... 

China is locking down 1.5 billion people every single day for decades now. Color me not impressed. Nothing in those articles you linked is in any way worrying to me. It's some kind of virus that spreads fast and has comparably mild symptoms. If I was worried about that I shouldn't be able to even leave my home because flu and cold season is coming and that shit also spreads fast and kills people. But this virus is new and sexy and a novelty, which is why so many bored privileged people are suddenly "concerned" about it. I won't be driven to hysteria by people who know exactly as little about that virus as I do.

Maybe I'll start to worry if it starts killing healthy young people in overseas developed countries. As of now I'm sure the Chinese government has killed more people in China this year than that virus. And that's a thing I'm way more concerned about.

2901 cases and 82 deaths doesn't sound that bad but the number is steadily growing. There are cases being reported ouside of china there are 5 cases now on the us.

Chicho said:

2901 cases and 82 deaths doesn't sound that bad but the number is steadily growing. There are cases being reported ouside of china there are 5 cases now on the us.

Incubation period being a few weeks is a problem. Means people will think they are fine and infect others who also think they are fine and infect others, etc.

By the way, I've wanted to say this for a few months now, but this situation makes it more relevant.
People who sneeze/cough in public without covering their mouths (and I see them all the time) should be forced to go back to kindergarden and learn basic human etiquette.

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 January 2020

Dulfite said:
I'm glad I don't live in a conjested area. That being said, the LORD can take me whenever HE wills to do so.

Sure cause some imaginary, invisible man in the sky as George Carlin would call it, has nothing better to do than pick humans off this insignificant planet lost in the periphery of an ordinary galaxy among trillions of other galaxies. Not only that but he/she/it picks some people and not others because ... ???

Anyway, this corona virus is disappointing and the media is blowing it totally out of proportion. There's been what? 80 casualties so far? Out of about 1.4 BILLION Chinese people. Literally anything else that one way or another could kill humans is more lethal than this puny virus. The common flu kills way more humans than this joke of a virus does.

For those wondering why I'm disappointed well it's because I wish to see mankind come to an end and when I hear about a new virus like this one in the news my hopes go up, especially because of the way the media blows it all out of proportion. So yeah I can only end up disappointed.

CANDY kills more than this virus if you take into account everybody choking on candy in the world.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 28 January 2020

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Dulfite said:
I'm glad I don't live in a conjested area. That being said, the LORD can take me whenever HE wills to do so.

Sure cause some imaginary, invisible man in the sky as George Carlin would call it, has nothing better to do than pick humans off this insignificant planet lost in the periphery of an ordinary galaxy among trillions of other galaxies. Not only that but he/she/it picks some people and not others because ... ???

Anyway, this corona virus is disappointing and the media is blowing it totally out of proportion. There's been what? 80 casualties so far? Out of about 1.4 BILLION Chinese people. Literally anything else that one way or another could kill humans is more lethal than this puny virus. The common flu kills way more humans that this joke of a virus does.

For those wondering why I'm disappointed well it's because I wish to see mankind come to an end and when I hear about a new virus like this one in the news my hopes go up, especially because of the way the media blows it all out of proportion. So yeah I can only end up disappointed.

CANDY kills more than this virus if you take into account everybody choking on candy in the world.

The common Flu also infects a good billion people each year, much, much more than any other disease. And how many percent does it kills from that billion? 

Also, keep in mind the first detected cases of the disease are not even a month old. As a result, both the death toll and the confirmed cases of infection are rising fast. Right now already, there are 106 dead, 25 more than yesterday, all while the confirmed cases almost doubled to 4652 in just one day.

Plus, there may very well have been more cases, but misdiagnosed as a heavy pneumonia instead (just like what the new coronavirus was originally considered to be). In other words, those 106 are the minimum and the real death toll might be quite a bit higher than "only" 106.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 28 January 2020