By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

drkohler said:
Trumpstyle said:

And our dead for when it happened, includes todays number.

They both on a downtrend.

How come Worldometer shows an absolute record number of deaths in Sweden for today?

That's 117 new deaths but that doesn't mean that 117 people actually died today. Hospitals would probably report them within a day or two but if someone died in a nursing home and the cause isn't obvious, it might take a few more days for them to be part of the statistics.

If you click on Sweden and scroll to the daily deaths section, you will find several instances in which days with 10 deaths were followed by days with 100 deaths. So basically Worldometer underreports deaths on weekends and overreports deaths on business days.

Last edited by Barozi - on 15 May 2020

Around the Network

WTF America(US) just beacuse they canceled the "lockdown" in some states doesnt mean you should rush out and mingle with hundreds of people in Bars and Stores...
I just watched a clip on youtube about Fox...Obamagate...really? as long as that orange moron is in office I wont respect a single Republican until that Trumptard is gone.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

No cases -at all- for my entire state, no one in hospital or intensive care, we beat the damn virus.

This came across my news feed today and I laughed.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Barozi said:
drkohler said:

How come Worldometer shows an absolute record number of deaths in Sweden for today?

That's 117 new deaths but that doesn't mean that 117 people actually died today. Hospitals would probably report them within a day or two but if someone died in a nursing home and the cause isn't obvious, it might take a few more days for them to be part of the statistics.

If you click on Sweden and scroll to the daily deaths section, you will find several instances in which days with 10 deaths were followed by days with 100 deaths. So basically Worldometer underreports deaths on weekends and overreports deaths on business days.

Sweden is pretty darn lazy in timely reporting. They have the worst track record for pogo stick reporting, down to as low as 2 deaths for a Sunday report, and catching up with as many as 185 on a Tuesday report. It's the same for reported cases, as low as 235 on a Sunday, as high as 812 on a Friday. Last Friday reported 135, so this Friday is lower.

Here we have British Columbia not reporting at all on Sundays anymore, so their numbers for Sunday get added to the Monday numbers. Cases here are tallies from the day before anyway, same in many places. Which are test results from tests taken several days before that if not longer. There is a lot of lag in the system, changes in who gets tested, what counts etc. No need to hurry during a worldwide catastrophe... Just blame the science guys for inaccurate models. Ireland is smart waiting 3 weeks between phases. With the added lag, incubation period and other random factors, smaller trends take a while to reveal themselves.

Pemalite said:

No cases -at all- for my entire state, no one in hospital or intensive care, we beat the damn virus.

This came across my news feed today and I laughed.

Haha!

Look at how peaceful the peace bridge looks nowadays

That's the US/Canada border crossing at Buffalo, PA right now.

Here are some more covid19 border crossings
https://www.nittec.org/cameras/?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Haha!

<SNIP>

Lots of traffic here... Everyone going about their daily lives like COVID never happened. It's pretty good... Just proves that economy is only temporary, life is far more valuable and need to be prioritized.

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Haha!

Lots of traffic here... Everyone going about their daily lives like COVID never happened. It's pretty good... Just proves that economy is only temporary, life is far more valuable and need to be prioritized.

The border is closed, but local traffic is not all that far from usual. It did solve the traffic jam problem on the highways, replacing it with more people speeding and going for street racing :/ Next week will get more busy.

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Haha!

The lockdowns have been the right decisions but many people will definitely not have the same life the next years as they had before. Even in Australia because of the global situation.

The real economical problems which will destroy many existences aren't there, yet.

Just look at Italy. A country which was already in huge trouble before. Now you have much more the government has to pay while getting much less in taxes. Countries won't be able to save every company even with them pumping money they don't even have into these companies.

Suicides will also increase a lot the next year(s).

But I'm still with you that the lockdowns had to happen

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 15 May 2020

crissindahouse said:
Pemalite said:

The lockdowns have been the right decisions but many people will definitely not have the same life the next years as they had before. Even in Australia because of the global situation.

The real economical problems which will destroy many existences aren't there, yet.

Just look at Italy. A country which was already in huge trouble before. Now you have much more the government has to pay while getting much less in taxes. Countries won't be able to save every company even with them pumping money they don't even have into these companies.

Suicides will also increase a lot the next year(s).

But I'm still with you that the lockdowns had to happen

Government has enacted some smart fiscal policy choices.
There is going to be an economic hit, no doubt, but the people are protected by a robust welfare system to weather the storm.

But we will get back to economic growth sooner rather than later... Sooner than most countries because we have successfully beaten COVID 19.

With India and Peru having higher Number of reported cases that drops China to number 13