By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Pemalite said:

No cases -at all- for my entire state, no one in hospital or intensive care, we beat the damn virus.

This came across my news feed today and I laughed.

In denmark we were considering something simular.
Soon to allow germany/norway/ect into denmark (next month ish, I think).

However the worry of swedes visiting and spreading the virus was mentioned.
So basically they wanted to allow some countries access, but not others (based on the spread of the infections).

Ofc Sweden was quick to say "you cant just allow other countries access but then not us"

Honestly Canada not allowing US citizens into their country is perfectly understandable imo.

Around the Network

Woww.... Brazil is seeing crazy growth rates..... Their government gives 0 fucks.
Wont be long before you see 20,000+ or 30,000+ daily new cases there if they are not going to do anyhting to stop spread.

Russia's numbers got really high quick, but appears to be plateauing now.
Brazil's just keep on growing.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 May 2020

JRPGfan said:

In denmark we were considering something simular.
Soon to allow germany/norway/ect into denmark (next month ish, I think).

However the worry of swedes visiting and spreading the virus was mentioned.
So basically they wanted to allow some countries access, but not others (based on the spread of the infections).

Ofc Sweden was quick to say "you cant just allow other countries access but then not us"

Honestly Canada not allowing US citizens into their country is perfectly understandable imo.

I think it makes sense for nations who have defeated the virus to open up travel with other nations who have also defeated it.

But... I think it would be asinine if Australia and New Zealand opened up to say... China or the United States, then we would have to go through that entire lockdown process again and take yet another economic hit when the disease inevitably starts to rear it's ugly head again.

And if New Zealand opened up to those countries, then I hope Australia cuts itself off from New Zealand.

Either way, progressive policy on containing COVID-19 and putting life above economic output has actually allowed those countries to defeat the virus faster and regain their economic output sooner, it's proven to be highly successful across the globe.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

SvennoJ said:
Important stuff like homeschooling :/

Big debate at home about beginner algebra. They're not teaching the basics or any understanding it seems, just tricks to get to the answer which create confusion. It's not good when you can stump the teacher with a simple 3x + 6 = 3, solve x question... Negative numbers seem to be the bottleneck.

Tricks are useful as my other kid got stumped by the math program asking whether the outcome of stuff like
34692374703 + 2368458348 is even or odd. Poor fella was trying to actually add all those numbers up.

It's weird they already get some algebra but never learned basics like multiplication tables. Is that not part of school anymore? I know I had to recite all the tables in grade 3 or 4. Knowing those by heart makes all this school math a lot easier. Like yesterday the young one had questions like what's the mean of 8 9 7 8 6 10 8 8 and 6 7 9 9 5 7 7 6. All sets of 8, all with whole number outcomes, knowing the tables makes it trivial.

The fun continues, one in tears over algebra, the other screaming how stupid it is and more worried about getting a good score in the math program while the seconds tick away...

Oh well, Google can solve it all anyway. Although the way Tiger Algebra does it is even more confusing
https://www.tiger-algebra.com/drill/3x_6=3/

That even/odd question is just mean though.

I don't know how it's now, here or elsewhere, but I certainly had to recite multiplication tables in school when I was 8 or something, and I sucked hard at it lol. I did go on to rock math at high school, always getting high grades for that. Sadly now fifteen years later I forgot everything. Though that Tiger Algebra indeed doesn't make it easier, I'd substract 6 to get 3x=-3 and you'd immediately get your answer.

S.Peelman said:
SvennoJ said:
Important stuff like homeschooling :/

Big debate at home about beginner algebra. They're not teaching the basics or any understanding it seems, just tricks to get to the answer which create confusion. It's not good when you can stump the teacher with a simple 3x + 6 = 3, solve x question... Negative numbers seem to be the bottleneck.

Tricks are useful as my other kid got stumped by the math program asking whether the outcome of stuff like
34692374703 + 2368458348 is even or odd. Poor fella was trying to actually add all those numbers up.

It's weird they already get some algebra but never learned basics like multiplication tables. Is that not part of school anymore? I know I had to recite all the tables in grade 3 or 4. Knowing those by heart makes all this school math a lot easier. Like yesterday the young one had questions like what's the mean of 8 9 7 8 6 10 8 8 and 6 7 9 9 5 7 7 6. All sets of 8, all with whole number outcomes, knowing the tables makes it trivial.

The fun continues, one in tears over algebra, the other screaming how stupid it is and more worried about getting a good score in the math program while the seconds tick away...

Oh well, Google can solve it all anyway. Although the way Tiger Algebra does it is even more confusing
https://www.tiger-algebra.com/drill/3x_6=3/

That even/odd question is just mean though.

I don't know how it's now, here or elsewhere, but I certainly had to recite multiplication tables in school when I was 8 or something, and I sucked hard at it lol. I did go on to rock math at high school, always getting high grades for that. Sadly now fifteen years later I forgot everything. Though that Tiger Algebra indeed doesn't make it easier, I'd substract 6 to get 3x=-3 and you'd immediately get your answer.

At that point its basically solved. S peelman.
However I'd aruge that when their that "simple" you dont even need to go that far.

"3x + 6 = 3,"

The +6 to = 3, means the X has to be a negative, because its turnings a bigger number smaller.
You know it needs to be something - 6 = 3.
What can you multiple 3 with, to get 3? 1.

Those things you can basically just eyeball and know the answear too.

Yeah I used to HATE reciteing multiplication tables too..... and ditto on the "fifteen years later I forgot everything" for algebra.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

eh, it's not that bad. If you just guess then you have a 50% chance of getting it right. And in UK universities 40% is the grade needed to pass so... if all the questions are like that you should be fine

Only 40? As in 4/10? That's easy.

Ka-pi96 said:

eh, it's not that bad. If you just guess then you have a 50% chance of getting it right. And in UK universities 40% is the grade needed to pass so... if all the questions are like that you should be fine

That's a serious flaw in those online schooling programs. This was from IXL I think. A lot of questions were true or false, even or odd stuff. Then it throws some 'complex' question on the screen with multiple ways to solve it, including guessing.

The stuff from the math books isn't much better. He had to say whether things were certain, impossible, likely or unlikely.
Then pictures of jars with beans, 4 red beans, 5 green beans, what's the possibility of getting a red bean.
Less than 50%, should be unlikely, wrong answer apparently...

Also to 'learn' about probabilities he had to make 2 spinners, one with even sections and one with unfairly distributed sections. Then record the outcome after spinning 25 times each. Of course no school materials at home, trying to improvise to build a wonky very biased spinner. Question, what differences do you observere. Answer, an experiment with shitty equipment delivers shitty results. Kid only gets confused lol.

Anyway you can't not advance here in elementary school. No child left behind lol.

A look at the different strategies graph

Brazil is out of control, starting to chase the USA for it's daily numbers. over 15K new cases yesterday and over 800 deaths daily.
Iran is slowly growing again, Canada has been flat for the past couple days.
Japan is still heading in the right direction while South Korea and now Australia have/had a slight uptick.
China, who knows, they had a bit higher numbers now back posting a couple cases a day.

Week over week comparison shows USA and Canada being on a steady slight decline

USA 89.4%, Canada 82.1% of daily reported cases week over week.
Europe is down to 80.4% week over week while the world as a whole is currently declining by 1.5% week over week (98.5% of last weeks numbers)

South America and Europe are currently virtually tied in daily reported case numbers thanks to the big surge in Brazil. Percentage of daily cases:

World 3 day average: 94,658 daily reported cases
North America: 30.9% (USA 26.6%)
Europe: 23.1% (Russia 10.8%)
South America: 23.0% (Brazil 14.3%)
Asia: 19.9% (India 4.0%)
Africa: 3.1% (South Africa 0.8%)

The USA still over a quarter of all reported cases, Russia almost half of Europe while Brazil is responsible for over 60% of South America.

The effect of Covid19 on GT Sport
https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?stat_preset=weekly_sport_activity

The sharp increase started from March 14th. That while the game is buggier than ever :/ I'm hardly playing it anymore since PD broke the penalty system beyond redemption. Yet with this kind of feedback, why fix it :/ (I used to race almost 3 hours a day before the pandemic)

Pemalite said:
crissindahouse said:

The lockdowns have been the right decisions but many people will definitely not have the same life the next years as they had before. Even in Australia because of the global situation.

The real economical problems which will destroy many existences aren't there, yet.

Just look at Italy. A country which was already in huge trouble before. Now you have much more the government has to pay while getting much less in taxes. Countries won't be able to save every company even with them pumping money they don't even have into these companies.

Suicides will also increase a lot the next year(s).

But I'm still with you that the lockdowns had to happen

Government has enacted some smart fiscal policy choices.
There is going to be an economic hit, no doubt, but the people are protected by a robust welfare system to weather the storm.

But we will get back to economic growth sooner rather than later... Sooner than most countries because we have successfully beaten COVID 19.

Well, Australia is very strong in exports. Especially with raw materials. Even if the domestic market wouldn't suffer much, your exports could and if people working in an exporting industry will suffer, they will also spend less on the domestic market. Maybe not even because of a definite job loss but because of the fear to lose the job. 

It's not fun to buy a new car, furniture or whatever with an uncertain future.

I guess most exports go to China because you have what they need but if they need less from you because as example Europe needs less from China then it will still hit Australia.

Sure, many other countries will be in much bigger trouble but with such a connected world economy, it won't be a fun time for any country.

I just hope that not too many will give up and take their own life.

RolStoppable said:
The German Bundesliga was restarted today, so finally a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, the consequences of COVID-19 are still around. The league has given out a recommendation that goals shouldn't be celebrated via close gatherings of players which goes to show that corona made people dumber. For one, people don't get infected by being close to each other; a prerequisite for transmission is that at least one person is infected in the first place. And two, the game of football has multiple recurring situations where players of both teams are very close together, like free kicks and corner kicks.

Dortmund kicked Schalke's butt, 4-0.

Of course they did, they have a Norwegian striker now.

The whole football thing is ridiculous, it's a contact sport with tackles and tumbles for over 90 minutes, asking for distancing when celebrating makes zero sense. If the risk for transmission of the virus is considered that high, it seems stupid to start the league at all. I wonder if health officials have ever watched a game of football at some point in their life and know what it's actually about (Schalke clearly don't know what it's about though... ).