By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

People die on average after around 12 month living in a nursing home. I think it's hard to tell people not to visit those in them because it's pretty much like a "you will see the person next time when already dead"

I guess they will also die faster now when nobody visits them.

Not sure if that is really the right way in areas where not so many are infected

I can imagine that the suffering of those who live in nursing homes and also those who can't visit them is much worse as what Corona can do in less infected areas

Around the Network

Brazil numbers are really concerning, especially because the unknown cases probably are much higher than in western countries

Last edited by Lafiel - on 09 May 2020

Lafiel said:

Brazil numbers are really concerning, especially because the unknown cases probably are much higher than in western countries

That plus those dang favelas. That's like Disneyland to a virus.

SvennoJ said:

This is what I mean by doing my own 'research'
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/
Not anecdotes, or twitter or you tube or face book crap...

All I meant with sleep as a cure, is it's the opposite of stress making things worse.

Cannabis helped me through a bad back injury, too much pain to sleep for months, less negative effects and less damaging to the liver as apposed to subscription and over the counter pain medication. It's not a "cure", it facilitates the healing process by reducing inflammation and stress levels. It was more effective than toradol (ketorolac) which you can't even use for more than 5 or 6 days.

I am not denying that there is no therapeutic effects to Cannabis, on the contrary, I support the science on this.

But I am not under an illusion that it's a miracle drug capable of curing every disease known to man-kind like some proponents, especially those with an addiction or financial interest would like me to believe.

I also believe it should be legalized for medical reasons, but kept illegal for recreational purposes.

SvennoJ said:

But very true, smoking is no good in general. And you shouldn't be driving with pain killers either. Smoking is no way to dose either, oil extracts with known concentration is the way to go.

Correct. Often people like to argue with me on this point... At the end of the day, I am the one responding to these vehicle accidents and seeing the devastation that drugs have on society first hand.

..And it's my personal number one concern if it became legalized recreationally as it will affect me directly.

Oil can also be dangerous. I.E. The diabetes example I provided earlier.
The need for a doctor is what is required here, which is why it needs to be legal for medical purposes world-wide so that we can get the appropriate medical support, treatment and statistics on it's effect and use...

Because when we have some random pro-cannabis hack that tells a friend of mine that Cannabis oil will cure their diabetes... And instead when consumed actually spiked her insulin level requiring hospitalization... Then we have a problem.
It's backyard medicine, it's dangerous.

SvennoJ said:

As for chemo, I know people that have simply said enough is enough. Stick it out with pain management and make peace with the inevitable. I'm not saying that's what your friend did, maybe he was truly misled which really sucks. My wife has been burned so many times with 'alternative' cures, last one being the chiropractor promising to help her chronic headaches. 100 treatments later, no improvement.

Perhaps Euthanasia being legal might be a better alternative for them.

SvennoJ said:

I'll keep using disinfectants to treat wounds and cannabis for getting at least 6 hours of sleep at night instead of 3 or 4 and being exhausted all day. Driving while tired is even more dangerous, I've had mornings where I really should not have been on the road. I've actually fallen asleep while cycling a couple times, down an embankment or clipping a pole while fighting to keep my eyes open :/

You shouldn't be using disinfectant. You should be using antiseptic.

Sounds like you might have a dependency on Cannabis? I would be looking into the direct cause of what is preventing your ability to sleep and tackling the issue there... Sometimes just covering a problem up with a drug isn't the best alternative.
Sometimes all that is needed is extra exercise, stretching, correct room temperature and illumination so your body can have the appropriate hormone response to initiate sleep, I am not privy to you direct situation and my medical training and experience is only basic paramedic level.

SvennoJ said:

Anyway sorry if I hit a nerve. By the history of articles I link you should know I don't get my 'research' from you tube. (hate that medium with a passion when it comes to information sharing)

You didn't hit a nerve, I don't actually get "emotional" over text/forums, but I will happily debate until the cows come home in order to try and better guide people to better sources of information and education... Because information is key... Reliable information is extremely important... Especially when everyone is stuck at home and willing to try "home therapies" during the COVID era.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

I am not denying that there is no therapeutic effects to Cannabis, on the contrary, I support the science on this.

But I am not under an illusion that it's a miracle drug capable of curing every disease known to man-kind like some proponents, especially those with an addiction or financial interest would like me to believe.

I also believe it should be legalized for medical reasons, but kept illegal for recreational purposes.

My opinion differs on that as I have seen the difference in effects of alcohol and cannabis. The latter is way preferable as a recreational drug, less damaging, less addictive, and doesn't lead to violence. Unless you also want Alcohol banned, which will only lead people to find other means.

Correct. Often people like to argue with me on this point... At the end of the day, I am the one responding to these vehicle accidents and seeing the devastation that drugs have on society first hand.

..And it's my personal number one concern if it became legalized recreationally as it will affect me directly.

Your concerns are correct
https://madd.ca/pages/impaired-driving/overview/cannabis-and-driving/
It should be obvious since play GT Sport while high doesn't work either, but young and stupid go together :/

Oil can also be dangerous. I.E. The diabetes example I provided earlier.
The need for a doctor is what is required here, which is why it needs to be legal for medical purposes world-wide so that we can get the appropriate medical support, treatment and statistics on it's effect and use...

Because when we have some random pro-cannabis hack that tells a friend of mine that Cannabis oil will cure their diabetes... And instead when consumed actually spiked her insulin level requiring hospitalization... Then we have a problem.
It's backyard medicine, it's dangerous.

We need to teach people from a young age to look for and how to recognize trusted sources, consult experts, triple check, cross reference, especially in this age where you can find confirmation bias for everything on the internet.

Perhaps Euthanasia being legal might be a better alternative for them.

You can still have decent quality of life for a while with pain management, instead of putting poison in your body when you have a very low chance of a positive outcome. Euthanesia is legal here but no need to rush.

You shouldn't be using disinfectant. You should be using antiseptic.

It's common to use Hydrogen peroxide here, but I've occasionally used chlorox wipes after cutting myself outside and having nothing else handy in the car. I know, it's not good, but better than nothing.

Sounds like you might have a dependency on Cannabis? I would be looking into the direct cause of what is preventing your ability to sleep and tackling the issue there... Sometimes just covering a problem up with a drug isn't the best alternative.
Sometimes all that is needed is extra exercise, stretching, correct room temperature and illumination so your body can have the appropriate hormone response to initiate sleep, I am not privy to you direct situation and my medical training and experience is only basic paramedic level.

I've had trouble sleeping since I can remember. Exercise is no problem, I'm getting plenty of that. I've tried natural remedies in my twenties (Melatonin) then switched to Cannabis which worked much better. After moving from Amsterdam to Canada I stopped with the Cannabis until it became legal here last year. No side effects or dependencies or cravings or anything for the 15 year gap in between, just a lot of lack of sleep. Cycling 100km a day didn't even get me sleeping more. I'm much more rested again nowadays.

You didn't hit a nerve, I don't actually get "emotional" over text/forums, but I will happily debate until the cows come home in order to try and better guide people to better sources of information and education... Because information is key... Reliable information is extremely important... Especially when everyone is stuck at home and willing to try "home therapies" during the COVID era.

Agreed information is key. The internet is such a wonderful source of information, if you know how to use it correctly. It can also be the worst source of information. I wish schools would focus on that a lot more. We had to learn how to find and collect information from a library, that's outdated. How to responsibly find and collect information from the world wide web needs to be taught.

Btw, how do you split tables without everything turning into a mess :)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
newwil7l said:

I usually disagree with a lot of your posts and over exaggerations, but see eye to eye with you here. 

Anyone denying that China is doing any and everything to shift blame off itself is deluding themselves and the pro China propaganda being spread is very obvious because unlike Russia, China isn't very good at it and you can spot it incredibly easy. Its backfired in many cases anyways because of how awful they are at it. Its clear that other poster can't hide their bias against the US and thats fine and also a common sentiment in Germany anyways lol. But the reality is that America isn't alone in criticizing China. Australia, many African countries, many EU countries, and many Asian countries have also joined in and called for Chinese transparency instead of their blatant propaganda.

What is going on in China atm. They are positing 1 or 2 new cases a day and haven't reported a single death since April 27th. Are we supposed to believe it's completely eliminated in China and only 1 or 2 infected people show up at the border each day?

Since their active cases are down to 260 (or so they say) the fatality rate of 6% seems to be their final outcome. It's unfortunate all our early math models were based on Chinese data of the early spread, unreliable data, unreliable predictions. At least it didn't turn out to be worse.

If you look at reports about China, they still have massive provisions in place. As a chinese you have an app that records your health status as green, yellow or red. In many places you only allowed as green. For entrance on many places you have scan the app and they allow only a certain number of people. You book tickets to view the park beforehand. Everyone coming into the country is preventively quarantined for two weeks in a hotel. Everyone switching between cities is set to yellow in the health app preventively.

So, with provisions like this I actually can believe, they have low number of cases.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SvennoJ said:

Agreed information is key. The internet is such a wonderful source of information, if you know how to use it correctly. It can also be the worst source of information. I wish schools would focus on that a lot more. We had to learn how to find and collect information from a library, that's outdated. How to responsibly find and collect information from the world wide web needs to be taught.

Indeed. No longer is it important to be knowledgeable, not in the information era.
Rather it is important to know how to source verified, accurate information on a per needs basis... Sadly the boomer generation seems to be falling short on that front in spades.
...I wish I could convince them that Ellen isn't going to give them $200 for sharing that post, I really wish I could.

Or that Vaccines do save lives. And that the COVID situation isn't a new-world-order conspiracy theory.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Indeed. No longer is it important to be knowledgeable, not in the information era.
Rather it is important to know how to source verified, accurate information on a per needs basis... Sadly the boomer generation seems to be falling short on that front in spades.
...I wish I could convince them that Ellen isn't going to give them $200 for sharing that post, I really wish I could.

Or that Vaccines do save lives. And that the COVID situation isn't a new-world-order conspiracy theory.

Just need to show them this one picture:

1 recieved the vaccine.

SmallPox estimated to have killed up to 300 million people in the 20th century and around 500 million people in the last 100 years of its existence.

^ this thing killed potentially 800m people, in a time periode of ~200 years.

Even those that survived, were left with horrible scarring.
Around 1 out of 3, that got it, went blind (hemorrhagic smallpox, you would see like pure red eyes, due to blood).

This is why we vaccinate.
Those anti-vaccination people forget the lessons of history, that lead to vaccinations.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 10 May 2020

John2290 said:
JRPGfan said:

This is why we vaccinate.
Those anti-vaccination people forget the lessons of history, that lead to vaccinations.

And malaria at its lowest estimate has killed 11-15 billion people in histroy and still killing hundreds of thousands a year. 

11-15 billion people ain't the lowest estimate, f.e. the estimate of Professor Brian Faragher (Emeritus Professor of Medical Statistics at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine) is 4 - 5% of 109 billion people:

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2019/10/03/has_malaria_really_killed_half_of_everyone_who_ever_lived.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p01hnv98

John2290 said:

And malaria at its lowest estimate has killed 11-15 billion people in histroy and still killing hundreds of thousands a year. 

Malaria vaccines are still worked on
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/04/new-malaria-vaccine-sparks-hope-cheaper-measures-still-useful/
Yet as always the discussion revolves around costs.

Anti vaxxers are a failure of the school system, at least some material should be required also for home schooling. The sad thing is history lessons have become politicized more than ever. Those who control the past control the future.

White washing has always gone on in history lessons, yet now science and biology have also been under fire for years.