By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

It's Sunday, with Sunday numbers. World wide reported deaths is down to 62% of what it was yesterday, reported cases 81% of yesterday.
The USA stays ahead of Europe, both seeing the same Sunday decline.

Tomorrow will be a bad day, worldwide reported cases will go over 3 million while the USA will cross the 1 million.

Canada did the weekend dip as well, can't tell whether we reached the peak yet or if it's going to rise higher again next week. Another case was reported in my local county as well. Definitely not done yet, and probably why the school closures have been extended to May 31st.

Meanwhile Canadians are starting to get impatient and bored of social distancing.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-have-been-told-to-stay-home-during-the-pandemic-are-we-listening-1.4912468

Google's Community Mobility Report for Canada found that activity in Canadian parks was down nearly 40 per cent from baseline levels by the end of March. Time spent in places affected by government closure orders was down even more substantially – over 50 per cent for retail and recreation destinations and close to 60 per cent for workplaces. Time spent at home, meanwhile, was about 30 per cent above what Google normally measures.

Apple's Mobility Trends Reports tracked similar conclusions for Canada despite reporting data differently. While Google is tracking location data on phones and comparing one place's current traffic level to its pre-pandemic activity, Apple bases its reports on requests for directions in Apple Maps.

Looking at searches for walking and driving routes, Apple measured Canadians' movement activity as being 50 per cent or more below usual levels for most of late March and early April, while public transit-related activity was down by more than 80 per cent.

https://www.apple.com/covid19/mobility

Mobility is going back up.

You can get the Google data for your own country here
https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/
USA: https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-04-11_US_Mobility_Report_en.pdf

Japan is an interesting case where shutting down maybe was too early, people didn't think it was necessary and as a result they still got hit

I plotted the reported cases in Japan on top of the Apple data (logarithmic scale for the reported cases with key amounts added to illustrate)
My data starts Februari 19th at avg 10 reported cases per day. The country slows down, reported cases remain low. Japan goes back to moving around but then some more people start dying and reported case numbers start climbing. Movement in Japan slows down again with reported cases reaching a peak of 743 on April 11th, now back down to avg 360 per day.

Around the Network

A quick comparison between Canada and Italy sums up why the peak hasn't happened here yet

Italy locked down much much tighter. Spain as well.

Sweden also saw a reduction in mobility but not as much as the rest of Europe.
https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-04-17_SE_Mobility_Report_en.pdf
Parks up 56% nationwide when workplaces closed, not up as much in Stockholm though.

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

I could say it's obvious that you edited what I said, based on how you rearranged/reimagined it, to better support your point. Which is oddly similar to rearranging and reimagining what Trump asked and suggested. Should anyone be given the benefit of the doubt though?

Every, time, Trump get's criticized, I comment on it, and back him, without any agreement of the criticism? Which 'tactics' are acceptable, exactly?

No one? Not one? So then it must be true. The entire world is laughing at America. 'Even the hyena's, and that's saying something', said the MSM...

Who's mind am I supposed to be changing? Can't people just voice their opinion, or must there be an agenda? What's life without an agenda, right?

If someone talks to a rock for long enough, telling it truth's through logic, it'll eventually spontaneously combust...or nothing will happen. Either or.

Meh.  I'll try one more time.

Your tactic every time an act is criticized is to point to a vaguely similar act in a completely different set of circumstances.

Your response to any specific criticism is to point to a scenario with completely different circumstances where a vaguely similar action was taken.  It's as if someone is criticized someone for rape, and the response is to ask "is it wrong for a man to have sex with his wife when they're trying to conceive"?  Ignoring the obvious different in context.

Having sex is a fundamentally neutral action which depending on the situation may be appropriate or inappropriate, harmful or beneficial, smart or idiotic, criminal or non-criminal, and so on.  The details are how we determine which categories the act falls into.

Likewise, asking a question is a fundamentally neutral act.  People have provided you various reasons why asking these questions in this particular scenario was idiotic, harmful, and worthy of mockery.  Your response has essentially been to say "Well wasn't it justified to ask a question in this completely different circumstance?" 

That's false equivalency.  If your objective is to create a sound and reasonable argument, then that tactic is unacceptable.  If your goal is not to be reasonable, then your tactic is very successful.

Btw, I'm absolutely not looking for a response here, especially not one that is going to throw 20 abstract questions at me.  I'm explaining what I see as the flaw in your reasoning process.  Take the feedback or leave it.  

I put 'tactics' in single quotes for good reason, along with the other things I pointed out. I don't believe you're understanding my points in the way they are meant to be taken, which is why you may see them the way you do. Not sure if you would agree anyway if we were clearly on the same page. I also don't agree with your comparison, ironically.

Maybe the video about the incident below will be more to your liking?

Nighthawk117 said:
EricHiggin said:

If someone talks to a rock for long enough, telling it truth's through logic, it'll eventually spontaneously combust...or nothing will happen. Either or.

Dude, you are self-destructing....Just sayin.....

Damn. Which color wire was it again....

Maybe this professional litigator can save the day? What he has to say about the reaction to what Trump said is quite well spoken and interesting.

A follow up, where he's kinda ticked off that YouTube demonetized the above video because it's too honest and truthful, like most they take down.

5:00 - 10:11  Is when he get's to Trump's explanation about what was said about disinfectants.

I agree with his thoughts in both of these vids.

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

Meh.  I'll try one more time.

Your tactic every time an act is criticized is to point to a vaguely similar act in a completely different set of circumstances.

Your response to any specific criticism is to point to a scenario with completely different circumstances where a vaguely similar action was taken.  It's as if someone is criticized someone for rape, and the response is to ask "is it wrong for a man to have sex with his wife when they're trying to conceive"?  Ignoring the obvious different in context.

Having sex is a fundamentally neutral action which depending on the situation may be appropriate or inappropriate, harmful or beneficial, smart or idiotic, criminal or non-criminal, and so on.  The details are how we determine which categories the act falls into.

Likewise, asking a question is a fundamentally neutral act.  People have provided you various reasons why asking these questions in this particular scenario was idiotic, harmful, and worthy of mockery.  Your response has essentially been to say "Well wasn't it justified to ask a question in this completely different circumstance?" 

That's false equivalency.  If your objective is to create a sound and reasonable argument, then that tactic is unacceptable.  If your goal is not to be reasonable, then your tactic is very successful.

Btw, I'm absolutely not looking for a response here, especially not one that is going to throw 20 abstract questions at me.  I'm explaining what I see as the flaw in your reasoning process.  Take the feedback or leave it.  

I put 'tactics' in single quotes for good reason, along with the other things I pointed out. I don't believe you're understanding my points in the way they are meant to be taken, which is why you may see them the way you do. Not sure if you would agree anyway if we were clearly on the same page. I also don't agree with your comparison, ironically.

Maybe the video about the incident below will be more to your liking?

Nighthawk117 said:

Dude, you are self-destructing....Just sayin.....

Maybe this professional litigator can save the day? What he has to say about the reaction to what Trump said is quite well spoken and interesting.

A follow up, where he's kinda ticked off that YouTube demonetized the above video because it's too honest and truthful, like most they take down.

5:00 - 10:11  Is when he get's to Trump's explanation about what was said about disinfectants.

I'm understanding your points the same way several other people seem to.  We could all be wrong, or you could be communicating poorly.  Might I suggest trying this format.  My position is X.  I feel that way because Y.  People might understand your position if... you know, you actually state your position.

I went to the point in the video you suggested, and saw a guy ranting about how the big bad media is making Trump look stupid.  Not the case.  I watched him speaking with no commentary of any kind.  Comments were idiotic in and of themselves.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 27 April 2020

EricHiggin said:

Oh no. You found a Youtube video that agrees with you. How could we possibly debunk such anecdotal opinions? (That is real sarcasm by the way.)

Trump wasn't being sarcastic. He didn't even have a sarcastic tone. He was positing a question whilst looking towards an "expert".

Trump fucked up, it's as simple as that.

At the end of the day, the media does not need to make Trump "look bad". - Trump seems to be more than capable of doing that himself.

I also hope you defended Obama and Hillary when media outlets attacked those individuals, if not... You are being a little bit hypocritical, no?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfeehhhfiVk

Do these people not understand that gathering in large crowds, to protest, results in a week or two lateron, a massive increased spread of the virus?
Which in turn, means the lockdown time, will be prolonged?

John2290 said:
Fuck, just realised Russia's numbers, wow that came out of nowhere. Probably bad news for northern China if they haven't closed the boarder there and if they have that's another blow to their economy and that of the ruskies.

Yep russia was fine for along time, then suddenly they saw like +8000-6000 daily increases, and in like a week or two, climbed up to where it currently is.
Spread doesnt appear to be slowing there yet either, its basically only just resently really kicked off.

I saw a video of a russian, that went to china, lived under the lockdown there, and came back home to russia.
He was like "are we really in lockdown? howcome it doesnt look or feel like it to me?"
He live streamed, walking around in his town, showing how no one seemingly did anything to limit spread.

Most people are just stupid, and only start to "act" when they can clearly see the results, of inaction.
The buggering of this virus is that it takes a week or two, before symptoms start to show (another week before you need hospital, and another week to die to it).
Deaths can potentially lag like a month after infections. So the spread of today, is the deaths of people a month from now.

Which means, at that point the results can be horrendous, without you even noticeing it.
When you do, its already had a few weeks of spread, and even lockdowns arnt always that fast to reduce spread.

JRPGfan said:

Do these people not understand that gathering in large crowds, to protest, results in a week or two lateron, a massive increased spread of the virus?

Do you really think individuals who write signs that state: "COVID is a Lie" - Have the intellectual fortitude to comprehend their own idiotic hypocrisy?
No. No they do not. They are selfish idiots.

And most are probably Trump supporters as well considering Trump has tried to motivate people to protest with tweets like: "LIBERATE MINNESOTA!”

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JRPGfan said:

Do you really think individuals who write signs that state: "COVID is a Lie" - Have the intellectual fortitude to comprehend their own idiotic hypocrisy?

And most are probably Trump supporters as well considering Trump has tried to motivate people to protest with tweets like: "LIBERATE MINNESOTA!”

Looking at those signbords, what the hell is "dont be a snitch" supposed to mean?
Isnt that like when you rat on someone, breaking the law or doing something unlawfull? and tell on that person?

What has that got to do with the virus?

"dont let the mask become a muzzle" 
(a muzzle is that thing, which makes dogs not able to bite others right? Do you want to go around "infecting" or biteing others?)

"covid is a LIE"   
(you can see statisically, death rates are higher, around the world than avg, something has to be doing that, not just "a Lie")

"united we stand, open the states!"  
(if you asked every american, Im sure you would find some against this idea)

How can people be this stupid? it baffles the mind.

JRPGfan said:
Pemalite said:

Looking at those signbords, what the hell is "dont be a snitch" supposed to mean?
Isnt that like when you rat on someone, breaking the law or doing something unlawfull? and tell on that person?

What has that got to do with the virus?

"dont let the mask become a muzzle" 
(a muzzle is that thing, which makes dogs not able to bite others right? Do you want to go around "infecting" or biteing others?)

"covid is a LIE"   
(you can see statisically, death rates are higher, around the world than avg, something has to be doing that, not just "a Lie")

"united we stand, open the states!"  
(if you asked every american, Im sure you would find some against this idea)

How can people be this stupid? it baffles the mind.

"Don't be a snitch" means that people should not tell authorities when morons break lockdown regulations. Like those morons do very publicly.

There is no point trying to understand those people. They are driven by primal instincts and don't actually have conscious thoughts like normal people. They are mentally handicapped and we should feel sorry for them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.