By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday that his state's poison control hotline has now received "hundred of calls" from people "asking about injecting or ingesting these disinfectants."

Well shit... Looks like we might weed out a few stupid people in USA. I want to believe there are a few smart people out there in my country. There has to be.

Around the Network

The Grand Erie School Board computer just called and left a message: School closures in Ontario are extended to May 31st. That leaves only 4 weeks before Summer vacation. Chances are no school at all... Keep on struggling with haphazard home schooling.

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by vivster - on 26 April 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sethnintendo said:
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday that his state's poison control hotline has now received "hundred of calls" from people "asking about injecting or ingesting these disinfectants."

Well shit... Looks like we might weed out a few stupid people in USA. I want to believe there are a few smart people out there in my country. There has to be.

Guys, cool it, it was just sarcasm. Just like when he said he is the President.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I love how the defense is basically "I thought a national press conference about a national emergency was a good time to workshop my stand-up routine."

EricHiggin said:

And no administration is ideal either, which is what this is supposed to be about, correct?

Trump has his issues like all leaders have. Trump seems to be vindictive at times, but sometimes people keep quiet to stop themselves from looking worse for their own good. Nobodies perfect.

Rab said:
EricHiggin said:

Trump has his issues like all leaders have. Trump seems to be vindictive at times, but sometimes people keep quiet to stop themselves from looking worse for their own good. Nobodies perfect.And no administration is ideal either, which is what this is supposed to be about, correct?

Your acting the apologist for every Trump criticism, using the see through tactic of false equivalency almost every time, it's obvious   

You realize no one is taking you seriously when you defend Trump, you aren't changing anyone's mind, except maybe to harden their view even more 

I could say it's obvious that you edited what I said, based on how you rearranged/reimagined it, to better support your point. Which is oddly similar to rearranging and reimagining what Trump asked and suggested. Should anyone be given the benefit of the doubt though?

Every, time, Trump get's criticized, I comment on it, and back him, without any agreement of the criticism? Which 'tactics' are acceptable, exactly?

No one? Not one? So then it must be true. The entire world is laughing at America. 'Even the hyena's, and that's saying something', said the MSM...

Who's mind am I supposed to be changing? Can't people just voice their opinion, or must there be an agenda? What's life without an agenda, right?

If someone talks to a rock for long enough, telling it truth's through logic, it'll eventually spontaneously combust...or nothing will happen. Either or.

EricHiggin said:

If someone talks to a rock for long enough, telling it truth's through logic, it'll eventually spontaneously combust...or nothing will happen. Either or.

Dude, you are self-destructing....Just sayin.....

EricHiggin said:
EricHiggin said:

And no administration is ideal either, which is what this is supposed to be about, correct?

Trump has his issues like all leaders have. Trump seems to be vindictive at times, but sometimes people keep quiet to stop themselves from looking worse for their own good. Nobodies perfect.

Rab said:

Your acting the apologist for every Trump criticism, using the see through tactic of false equivalency almost every time, it's obvious   

You realize no one is taking you seriously when you defend Trump, you aren't changing anyone's mind, except maybe to harden their view even more 

I could say it's obvious that you edited what I said, based on how you rearranged/reimagined it, to better support your point. Which is oddly similar to rearranging and reimagining what Trump asked and suggested. Should anyone be given the benefit of the doubt though?

Every, time, Trump get's criticized, I comment on it, and back him, without any agreement of the criticism? Which 'tactics' are acceptable, exactly?

No one? Not one? So then it must be true. The entire world is laughing at America. 'Even the hyena's, and that's saying something', said the MSM...

Who's mind am I supposed to be changing? Can't people just voice their opinion, or must there be an agenda? What's life without an agenda, right?

Meh.  I'll try one more time.

Your tactic every time an act is criticized is to point to a vaguely similar act in a completely different set of circumstances.

Your response to any specific criticism is to point to a scenario with completely different circumstances where a vaguely similar action was taken.  It's as if someone is criticized someone for rape, and the response is to ask "is it wrong for a man to have sex with his wife when they're trying to conceive"?  Ignoring the obvious different in context.

Having sex is a fundamentally neutral action which depending on the situation may be appropriate or inappropriate, harmful or beneficial, smart or idiotic, criminal or non-criminal, and so on.  The details are how we determine which categories the act falls into.

Likewise, asking a question is a fundamentally neutral act.  People have provided you various reasons why asking these questions in this particular scenario was idiotic, harmful, and worthy of mockery.  Your response has essentially been to say "Well wasn't it justified to ask a question in this completely different circumstance?" 

That's false equivalency.  If your objective is to create a sound and reasonable argument, then that tactic is unacceptable.  If your goal is not to be reasonable, then your tactic is very successful.

Btw, I'm absolutely not looking for a response here, especially not one that is going to throw 20 abstract questions at me.  I'm explaining what I see as the flaw in your reasoning process.  Take the feedback or leave it.  

Day 5 without any new cases for the whole state.

City council has removed the restriction-tape on public playgrounds and seating today, schools are re-opening and businesses are starting to get back to normal.

Everyone seems to be in good spirits... As a state we did well to listen to the Government and Health advice... We didn't go out in public and protest, we didn't ignore restrictions, we didn't selfishly do what we wanted... And that is paying off right now in spades.
Then again, helps we don't have leadership which stupidly suggests that injecting disinfectant is a viable method to combat the virus, there is a higher degree of trust there.

I think the next progressive step will be to remove restrictions of travel to other states when they don't have any confirmed cases for a period of time.

It will be interesting to see what will happen going forward whether cases will kick up again.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--