By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Ka-pi96 said:
JWeinCom said:

But what is an apologist?  Shouldn't people apologize more often?  Isn't it good for a person to apologize to another when they have done something wrong?  Do you attack everyone who says they are sorry for something?

What is a tactic?  Is a tactic just a type of strategy?  When a general develops a strategy shouldn't others be able to see it?  

And what is wrong with defending?  Is it wrong for a man to defend his home?  Would you criticize a cornerback when he defends a pass?  Wouldn't the world be a terrible place if nobody defended anything? Doesn't everyone defend something?

So are you saying people should apologise when they do something stupid, or defend themselves for it? Because you can't really do both at the same time...

Is it impossible to do two things at the same time?  Isn't it necessary for one to do two things at a time?  Doesn't a dog bark while he runs?  Isn't multitasking a good skill for one to have?  

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
JWeinCom said:

Is it impossible to do two things at the same time?  Isn't it necessary for one to do two things at a time?  Doesn't a dog bark while he runs?  Isn't multitasking a good skill for one to have?  

When those two things are diametrically opposed, yes.

There may be some context you're missing here. Lol.

EricHiggin said:
Torillian said:

Been thinking a bit about the latest Trump defense: basically that he's just asking questions so it's no be deal. The issue I have with that is that Trump has set up his administration in such a way that he can't be told he's asking a stupid question. If someone is in a biology class and they ask the teacher "why can't we use things like bleach to cure disease since it gets rid of viruses on surfaces?" then the teacher can explain why that wouldn't work and the faulty reasoning behind the suggestion. Instead in this case you have the president asking his administration and his administration just going "yeah we'll look into that sir". I wouldn't mind the question if the response was "oh no that won't work because bleach doesn't discriminate between human and virus in how it kills things so that would be too harmful to the host". That would be alright because you ask a dumb question and you get an immediate answer for why it won't work. Instead you have a stupid question that's left hanging, and that gives the idea legitimacy to those who don't know better which is what leads to dangerous situations and misunderstandings.

An immediate concrete answer would have been best. It would also be nice if the world was nothing but immediate concrete answers to all questions for everyone. Maybe everyone should write down or record every question that comes to mind and hope when they eventually ask it that's it's widely agreed upon to be the right way at the right time. That's not how the world works though in reality, unfortunately.

Its good that you realise that, is how things would work in a "perfect" world. Where things make sense.
(your batshit stupid, you ask stupid questions of your advisers, when your off live tv)

Thats how it works for every other nations leaders when they do press briefings.
They make sure they dont communicate, their own stupidity, or ask stupid questsions, which could result in stupid people trying stupid things, live on tv, infront of a nation. This stuff is the basic minimum level required of a nations leader, and trump fails on it. He constantly says stupid things, lies, backtracks, countradicts himself or his advisers.  How is any of that good for a nation? if anything it just shows you cant trust current leadership in this situation.

You have 1 part wrong though.

this part:  "That's not how the world works though in reality, unfortunately."

That should read, "thats not how it works in our current world though (with trump as president), unfortunately."

The worrying part is what Torillian wrote.
Trump surrounds himself with "yes"-men, that just nod at everything he says, even if its crazy/wrong, out of fear of him. He gets rid of anyone else that thinks rationally and stands up to him, if he does or says crazy things. Now theres no one left to tell him that hes without clothes.

Ever read "the emperor's new clothes" as a child? or told it to your own?

That story is playing itself out now. Trump is the emperor without clothes on.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 26 April 2020

JWeinCom said:
Rab said:

Your acting the apologist for every Trump criticism, using the see through tactic of false equivalency almost every time, it's obvious   

You realize no one is taking you seriously when you defend Trump, you aren't changing anyone's mind, except maybe to harden their view even more 

But what is an apologist?  Shouldn't people apologize more often?  Isn't it good for a person to apologize to another when they have done something wrong?  Do you attack everyone who says they are sorry for something?

What is a tactic?  Is a tactic just a type of strategy?  When a general develops a strategy shouldn't others be able to see it?  

And what is wrong with defending?  Is it wrong for a man to defend his home?  Would you criticize a cornerback when he defends a pass?  Wouldn't the world be a terrible place if nobody defended anything? Doesn't everyone defend something?

All in context is wrong or right,the questions you ask can go all ways depending on the motivation behind the apology and the knowledge and intelligence of the apologist.

But i'm not gonna be an apologist(wink) for either of the teams in here because i'm tired of that eternal back and forth.

Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

All in context is wrong or right,the questions you ask can go all ways depending on the motivation behind the apology and the knowledge and intelligence of the apologist.

But i'm not gonna be an apologist(wink) for either of the teams in here because i'm tired of that eternal back and forth.

That just sounds stupid to me.

Context cant be wrong, else its not really context.
A questions answear, cannot just go "all ways" when the then one in question, was basically a yes/no type of thing.

"cant we just inject people with disinfectants? I hear that stuff can kill the virus in a minuet"

Answear = no, we cant president.

"for either teams"?
What kinda stupid is that too.
Theres a right and wrong, in this, and it has nothing to do with "teams" or sides of the political fence your on.
"truth" cannot be a matter of politics.

The issue is no one is willing to say so to trump.

Trump does or says crazy things, if he gets backlash from it on news channels (main fox news, cuz others are "fake news"), he'll backtrack or claim hes misunderstood or never said such things (even if theres video of him doing or saying such).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 26 April 2020

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Rab said:

Your acting the apologist for every Trump criticism, using the see through tactic of false equivalency almost every time, it's obvious   

You realize no one is taking you seriously when you defend Trump, you aren't changing anyone's mind, except maybe to harden their view even more 

Well your using gas-lighting as a form of defence, another obvious tactic that inevitably hardens people against your view, there is no winning this unless your genuine, anything else and people see through it   

sethnintendo said:
Just stop Eric. He asked a stupid question. It was so stupid they tried to play it off as being sarcastic. That's when you know you fucked up.

It's called "back peddling". - All politicians do it when they get themselves stuck in the mud so to speak.

JRPGfan said:

Its good that you realise that, is how things would work in a "perfect" world. Where things make sense.
(your batshit stupid, you ask stupid questions of your advisers, when your off live tv)

Thats how it works for every other nations leaders when they do press briefings.
They make sure they dont communicate, their own stupidity, or ask stupid questsions, which could result in stupid people trying stupid things, live on tv, infront of a nation. This stuff is the basic minimum level required of a nations leader, and trump fails on it. He constantly says stupid things, lies, backtracks, countradicts himself or his advisers.  How is any of that good for a nation? if anything it just shows you cant trust current leadership in this situation.

At the moment I am doing a diploma in leadership for emergency management... And ironically we are using Trump and Jacinda Ardern as our case studies... Because their response to the current COVID situation is polar opposites and worlds apart... Where-as Jacinda took a very rapid and effective response with a degree of empathy, Trump's response has had mixed support from the public as he promotes conspiracy theories, unproven "medical" ideas and fails to get appropriate warnings and messaging out to the public.

At the end of the day... Trumps response has been comical from the very start... And New Zealand is showing how it should be done... A small island nation is besting the worlds super power, go figure.

John2290 said:
@Pemalite

When I say the planet I mean the planet with life on it but mostly life. If you're on the side of a rock over life then you need to rethink things. Life is the most important thing we know of in the universe, it gives rise to differing forms of conciousness and for thr universe itself it gives a chance for self reflection, to evalute itself. There is nothing more important than higher consciousness beings surviving on the rocks in the universe to carry on, get more intelligent and keep on poking and proding to figure out what's going on.

I am a first responder in multiple rescue agencies, I need not clarify my position of where life sits on the hierarchy of priorities... Nor was my statement anything do with that anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ka-pi96 said:
JWeinCom said:

When those two things are diametrically opposed, yes.

They aren't though. A defense doesn't have to mean a reversal. You can apologize and at the same time try to lessen your own fault by putting it into perspective.

Example: "I sincerely apologize for hitting that person, I should not have done that. In my defense, though, he was threatening me."

See, easy. Both apologized and defended.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:
Immersiveunreality said:

That just sounds stupid to me.

Context cant be wrong, else its not really context.
A questions answear, cannot just go "all ways" when the then one in question, was basically a yes/no type of thing.

"cant we just inject people with disinfectants? I hear that stuff can kill the virus in a minuet"

Answear = no, we cant president.

"for either teams"?
What kinda stupid is that too.
Theres a right and wrong, in this, and it has nothing to do with "teams" or sides of the political fence your on.
"truth" cannot be a matter of politics.

The issue is no one is willing to say so to trump.

Trump does or says crazy things, if he gets backlash from it on news channels (main fox news, cuz others are "fake news"), he'll backtrack or claim hes misunderstood or never said such things (even if theres video of him doing or saying such).

Please reread my comment cause it does not say that context is right or wrong but that the context behind something can make the action that comes from it right or wrong,and do not involve me in the Trump drama please or put me into any group cause it has nothing to do with the intention of my comment.

And ofcourse Trump says stupid things,i'm stupid enough to be annoyed by that for some years now but all in context.

You basicly replied to something i did not say.

To talk about something more cheery than Trump (yes being sarcastic)
https://calgaryherald.com/news/heartbreaking-suicide-rates-expected-to-rise-as-covid-19-grinds-on/

Grunau said for every one per cent increase in unemployment, there is a corresponding 0.79 per cent spike in suicide, according to research. In most cases, it takes 12 to 18 months after a financial crash to see those numbers rise.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” she said. “Typically, what we see is initially the suicide rate goes down because there is a sense of solidarity and we’re all in this together … and then as it goes on people exhaust their personal resources and then the suicide rate starts to go up.”

That second part is sadly not even true this time or we're already beyond the solidarity part. A friend of my wife is friends with the police chief in a town of some 150K and he said that they're getting multiple suicides a day currently. The national suicide rate was about 6K per yer, or just over 16 daily for nearly 38 million people.

It's just anecdotal, maybe a bad sudden wave, but the worst is yet to come when that first part comes true :/