By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Rab said:
LurkerJ said:

If that's the case what's the point of looking for a vaccine then? Vaccines' only point is to generate antibodies similar to the ones you get after an actual infection.

If this fact stays true indefinitely, then the only thing we can do is eradicate the virus permanently, which will require a better response than we have been doing so far, no going back to normal for a very long time, God I hope that's not the case   

If this is what they'd suggest we do, then I'll put on my tinfoil helmet and fight back tbh. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Rab said:

If this fact stays true indefinitely, then the only thing we can do is eradicate the virus permanently, which will require a better response than we have been doing so far, no going back to normal for a very long time, God I hope that's not the case   

That's not possible, you'd be condemning billions to death by starvation if you carry that out.  

This virus is just trying to kill off the real virus on this planet.  Humans

SvennoJ said:

That makes the outcome even less possible. If there should have been 2.7 million infected on March 25th, then with the fastest observed doubling rate of 4.6 days to double, there should have been infected people walking around before Christmas in NY. Thus the first deaths would have happened early Januari and the virus could spread problem free, at the fastest possible rate, until March 25th.

That might be possible, I think I have seen 1 or maybe few article speculating that the virus was over at the United states earlier than previously thought. Next anti body sample test will be interesting.

LurkerJ said:
Trumpstyle said:

Guys you all missed an importart part of the New york state antibody test, this is what they used (LgG):

"Antibodies develop when the immune system responds to a germ, usually a virus or a bacterium. With otherdiseases, IgG is one type of antibody that usually develops 3-4 weeks after infection with the germ and lasts for a long time."

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/04/updated-13102-nysdoh-wadsworth-centers-assay-for-sars-cov-2-igg.pdf

Basically they were testing how many people were infected about a month ago as it takes 3-4 weeks before this test can see the antibodies appear, the 13.8% could be far higher. So you can't do a fatality rate for it just yet but Cuomu said 0.5% but that doesn't include people who died in their homes. We just haft to w8 if there's an upward trend in the next antibody test they do.

Anyway this week our health agency in Sweden released a interesting number, they believe there is 75x more people who had the virus than confirmed cases, if we do todays numbers, 18177 confirmed cases and 2192 dead. We get 0.16% fatality rate and 1363 275 has had the virus in sweden as for today.

Thanks for your contributions. May I ask do you where the graph below was taken from? I couldn't find the website mentioned.

Nope have not seen that graph :) but I would say some countries might had some successes with their lockdowns but I wonder their exit strategy will be, sooner or later borders needs to open up and international traveling will begin again. I can't see how they will protect themself from outbreaks when that happens.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

If anyone is interested United Kingdom just made this clip (1day old). About 10min long about how it's going over here, everyone speaking english so anyone watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08bbv0x

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
LurkerJ said:

Thanks for your contributions. May I ask do you where the graph below was taken from? I couldn't find the website mentioned.

Nope have not seen that graph :) but I would say some countries might had some successes with their lockdowns but I wonder their exit strategy will be, sooner or later borders needs to open up and international traveling will begin again. I can't see how they will protect themself from outbreaks when that happens.

Oh yes, definitely. In the short term, these graphs are more likely to be skewed. It's all about the end result and what happens after the restrictions are lifted. Not to mention, half of Sweden COVID19 deaths come from care homes, which many countries are not factoring in. 

"When foreign commentators discuss Sweden’s light-touch response to Covid-19, they tend to adopt an affronted tone. Which is, on the surface, surprising. You’d think everyone would be willing the Nordic country to succeed. After all, if Sweden can come through the epidemic without leaving a smoking crater where its economy used to be, there is hope for the rest of the world. So far, many signs appear encouraging. The disease seems to be following the same basic trajectory in Sweden as elsewhere. Although we must wait for complete data, modelling by country’s authorities suggests that the infection rate in Stockholm peaked on 8 April. If so, we need to consider the implication, namely that, once basic hygiene and distancing measures are in place, tightening the screw further perhaps makes little difference. Which would be good news for the rest of us."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/25/sweden-succeeds-lockdownswill-have-nothing/

I, for one, cheer for Sweden and hope their end results are better than the rest, or at least in the same ballpark. It's marathon after all, not a sprint. 

Around the Network
John2290 said:
sethnintendo said:

This virus is just trying to kill off the real virus on this planet.  Humans

Oh bollachs, the planets surface would be nothing but ever green trees if it weren't for us. Anyway, if we die in billions now or loose technological and inrastructural control of our systems, the planet is in for doomsday, all that will be left are cockroaches and burrowing animals. The planet isn't very smart if this is it's plan. 

I imagine wildlife populations would flourish if there were no humans until the next astroid hits... 

Need to start building that moon base before those pesky bugs start hurtling astroids at us.  Just see what happened to Rio de Janeiro in Starship Troopers.

Trumpstyle said:
SvennoJ said:

That makes the outcome even less possible. If there should have been 2.7 million infected on March 25th, then with the fastest observed doubling rate of 4.6 days to double, there should have been infected people walking around before Christmas in NY. Thus the first deaths would have happened early Januari and the virus could spread problem free, at the fastest possible rate, until March 25th.

That might be possible, I think I have seen 1 or maybe few article speculating that the virus was over at the United states earlier than previously thought. Next anti body sample test will be interesting.

LurkerJ said:

The USA has brought back the earliest detected death in the states to Februari 6th
https://globalnews.ca/news/6856758/coronavirus-california-early-deaths/
That's in California though, first death on the east coast was end of Februari.

Februari 6th is still a month too late, while assuming the warnings in early March and the lock down on March 20th in NY didn't do anything in the beginning.

It's pretty certain there are far more undetected cases, yet 10 times more is stretching it to its limits. That's why I think that new 75x under reported estimate in Sweden is bollocks imho.

For those graphs: lockdown, 20 days later deaths are stabilized as expected.

It's progressing slower in Sweden, the current doubling rate for deaths is 10 days in Sweden. This does not support that anti body estimate at all.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/
The steepest slope in reported deaths in Sweden is from April 13th to April 16th (likely counting missed deaths since it went almost flat before that) that's a doubling rate of 5.6 days, the fastest that can be observed in the Swedish data.

So all evidence points to a slower progression of the virus in Sweden than R0 2.2 suggests, not faster!

1.3 million infected (75x current total reported) in Sweden would have taken 113 days to reach at the fastest observed doubling rate in the data (which is most definitely skewed due to under counting during Easter) That means the virus must have already been present in Sweden before Januari 3rd, yet the first reported death in Sweden was on March 11th.

It doesn't fit! Perhaps the early infections were all young and healthy people, last straw to grasp to make this work.

Rab said:

Very bad news

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Saturday that there was currently "no evidence" that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second coronavirus infection.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200425-no-evidence-that-recovering-from-covid-19-gives-people-immunity-who-says

As far as i know there is also no evidence yet that a person can get reinfected. So this really isn't saying anything right now

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:
Rab said:

That's not possible, you'd be condemning billions to death by starvation if you carry that out.  

And in other news, so far 141 patients have been tested positive again in South Korea. So nothing is off the table currently.

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

For example, some here said he was an idiot for bringing up injecting disinfectants. He was asking if it could be done and saying the professionals would need to figure that out. Maybe they already know it's not possible, who knows?

Could some citizens misinterpret what Trump meant? Obviously so. Anybody could at any time. Just look how what some here have said and on social media and the MSM. If they can't get it straight, obviously others may not either. So it's Trumps problem that we're all imperfect?

Point is he's being bashed for 'idiotically' spreading misinformation when that's not what he said or meant. He just asked a question.

Trump get's one shot to say what he has to say. Even when he does a good solid job, however rare you might think that is, it somehow get's 'accidentally misinterpreted' by the MSM and they spread that all day everyday, leading some people to bashing and hating the Prez. So who's really more impactful and powerful?

Unless he had some sort of valid reason to believe it might work, it's idiotic to even suggest doctors use their time looking into it.  As far as I can tell, there was no such valid reason.  

His logic seems to be "this kills stuff on surfaces so why don't we put it inside people's bodies".  That too is idiotic.

If I had a disease, went to my doctor, saw the janitor cleaning the floor, and said "hey why don't we put some of that in my body?" I'm pretty sure people would call me idiot.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

For example, some here said he was an idiot for bringing up injecting disinfectants. He was asking if it could be done and saying the professionals would need to figure that out. Maybe they already know it's not possible, who knows?

Who in the hell even needs to ask this question?  What kind of lack of common sense and minimal IQ level must you be at for this to be a valid question?

Who knows?  Damn near everybody but Trump.

The President of the United States should not be the raison d'etre for warning labels on certain products.

I wonder who thought up blasting the human body with radiation? Why would they think that? 'Obviously' that was ridiculous because of the harm it would do. 

Good thing that thought was bashed, rejected, and squashed long ago before they eventually started curing people with that 'idiotic' idea, right?