By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan 2019: Switch was up 29% YOY, made up 76% of all hardware sales, more

- Switch accounted for 76% of all hardware sales in Japan for 2019

- Switch sales were up 29% year-over-year

- Switch sold 4.5 million (3.45 million of the base, 1.05 million of the Lite)

- PS4 sold 1.2 million (Base sold 774,000, and Pro sold 422,000)

- PS4 down 29% YOY

https://gonintendo.com/stories/352978-switch-sales-up-in-japan-29-year-over-year

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 January 2020

Around the Network

Oh wow not even a fucking comment in this thread lol

Well that was a very good performance, let's see how 2020 goes. So far it's well over 2019, and Animal Crossing is only 1 month and 2 weeks away.

It's clear that Nintendo is driving the hardware market in Japan. Theres nothing really else out there. Used to be that you had your NEC's and Bandais and whatnot dipping their toes into the console business. Competition from Sony changed all that. And Sony now is a distant second in Japan again. So much has changed in little time.

Ryng said:
Oh wow not even a fucking comment in this thread lol

Well that was a very good performance, let's see how 2020 goes. So far it's well over 2019, and Animal Crossing is only 1 month and 2 weeks away.

I know right, I was surprised nobody thought any of this was noteworthy back when I posted it haha.

29% up YOY for 2019 is very healthy, and I think it'll be up again this year with Animal Crossing, unless they completely drop the ball and lack any other big system sellers for the rest of the year.

And Switch having 76% of all hardware sales for 2019 is just bonkers, and there's no end in sight either as I doubt PS5 will be able to put up much of a fight.

As for PS4, 29% down YOY is pretty bleak.

RolStoppable said:
If the PS5 doesn't launch in Japan in 2020, then Switch is going to have more than 80% this year.

I'd say that's still possible to happen even if the PS4 launches in 2020 in Japan. Much tougher of course, but not impossible.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
RolStoppable said:
If the PS5 doesn't launch in Japan in 2020, then Switch is going to have more than 80% this year.

I'd say that's still possible to happen even if the PS5 launches in 2020 in Japan. Much tougher of course, but not impossible.

I'd say it's extremely likely for it to happen even if ps5 comes out in Japan this year.

It will be really interesting to see how that percentage of hardware sales holds up next year with 2020 likely being the first year the Switch will face actual competition in Japan, even though PS5 will probably release in November--so actually 2021 will the year that will be interesting to see.

I doubt PS5 will be able to put a considerable dent in Switch's dominance; PS4 got mainline Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and Final Fantasy entries, yet was still easily outsold.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 January 2020

The Switch will continue to dominate by a large margin this year in Japan. But the PS5 release will have some effect in the future. The market share will probably be down to 60% in 2021.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

curl-6 said:

I know right, I was surprised nobody thought any of this was noteworthy back when I posted it haha.

Its because literally none of this is new info, we have the weekly Famitsu threads where all this has been known and discussed already.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.