By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will the switch outsell the ps4?

When will the switch outsell the ps4?

Second half of 2022 33 11.54%

First half of 2023 24 8.39%

Second half of 2023 35 12.24%

First half of 2024 15 5.24%

Second half of 2024 16 5.59%

First half of 2025 7 2.45%

Second half of 2025 5 1.75%

Later than above 2 0.70%

Never 149 52.10%

Total:286
Louie said:
curl-6 said:

No, just the same old song and dance we've been hearing since 2017. Comparing the Switch to the Wii is especially foolish now that the two are so clearly completely different in terms of their circumstances and sales trajectory.

More like 2002. It's been the same song and dance since I created my VGChartz account in 2007. It's a perpetual cycle where the same arguments are being repeated again and again.

Nintendo console sells bad (GC, Wii U): "Nintendo consoles don't sell. Nintendo should go 3rd party."

Nintendo console sells good or great but not as well as Sony's console (Wii in its later stages, 3DS, Switch at first): "Sony consoles always outsell Nintendo consoles. Wii / DS don't count. Nintendo does not have the third party support to achieve high sales. They lack AAA western third party games."

Nintendo console flat out smashes sales records and leaves the competition in the dust for a brief period of time (Wii, Switch before the 2020 sales explosion): "Sales are going to fall off a cliff! Nintendo consoles can't sell well for a prolonged period of time. Nintendo consoles only sell because of a gimmick, the novelty will wear off soon. The console is not powerful enough to sell well for more than a few years."

Nintendo console doesn't stop smashing sales records (DS, Switch): "It doesn't count! Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles, so it still doesn't count. Handhelds don't count, they always sell well (*), we should focus on the home console market."

(*) This argument died with the Switch because with the Switch the narrative turned into "handheld gaming is dead".

Of course, third party games sell great on the Switch and sold great on Wii and DS, so the last point turns into a heated debate as this is the last resort. It truly is a never-ending cycle where no matter what Nintendo does, or how well a Nintendo console sells, there's always the same arguments against them. And this has been the case since the Gamecube days when Internet forums become more and more popular.

Pretty much.

To this day there are still people in salty denial that the Wii beat the PS3 and 360 and won the 7th generation that they make up ridiculous revisionist history and mental gymnastics to try to claim that Wii magically doesn't count. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 January 2021

Around the Network

Is there anyone here who still believe that the Switch can't outsell the PS4?

It's on the way to achieve it, I have to admit I didn't see it happening thinking Sony will release a cheap PS4 like they always do and Sony's playstation brand is popular in more places than just the three major markets

deerox said:

Some are hoping Wii like catastrophic final 2 years for the rest of Nintendo Switch but deep inside everyone already know that it's just a hopeless thinking.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
deerox said:

Some are hoping Wii like catastrophic final 2 years for the rest of Nintendo Switch but deep inside everyone already know that it's just a hopeless thinking.

Heh, someone bumped up a thread a little while ago showing the Wii's software lineup in 2011.  It was total crap and the Wii still sold over 11m that year.  For Switch, we just got a Direct + Pokemon Direct that shows this year's software is going to blow away the Wii's software from its final years.  And we mostly just know software from the first half of the year so far.

As you said, it's basically wishful thinking (or hopeless thinking).  A sales plummet doesn't just magically happen.  If the software is no good, then the sales plummet.  If the software is good then the system keeps selling.  You can tell from recent software announcements that Switch is going to keep selling.  That cliff is just never going to happen.

Around the Network

Exactly same thinking, then a New Model (Like a Switchi or similar to Switch Lite with HDMI Out or even a Pro), after that a Base Model Price Cut With New Games and no Competition haha. 

Anyone know what the original percentage for "Never" was?
It's at 52.48% now, but I'm sure it used to be much higher and is dropping as more and more people realize it's happening.

deerox said:

No, I highly doubt it.  I do believe some people are holding on to hope that it won't though.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

deerox said:

I'm now feeling the 130 million some predicted. Also seeing how Sony is doing everything to kill PS4. It's a shoo-in to beat PS4 unless Nintendo finds a way to kill all Switch momentum.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

A lot of people were in the understanding that the PS4 was going to have a PS2 longevity, I assume.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.