By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2021/05/limited_run_games_is_now_an_official_xbox_partner

I really hope this means exactly what it seems to mean. Has been waiting for this for ages.

Around the Network
Raven said:

Microsoft relies on third party support and sales to generate revenue for Xbox, going down to a 12% revenue cut would disproportionately affect them before they have a chance to create another stable source of revenue that really takes off (GamePass).

Also as far as potential gaming news being speculated about on Twitter, Nintendo also has their fiscal year investors meeting so there will be gaming news surrounding that as well.

Sure, that's why I said that it's understandable business decision. Xbox already is getting huge AAA titles that bring the most money, the only developers and publishers that might get more enticed to bring games to Xbox are indies and Japanese developers that skip Xbox now for the most part. Going to 12% revenue cut could be a great move to make them interested in bringing games to Xbox a bit more, as they will get a decent extra compared to what they are getting now even with low sales. The problem is, Microsoft will lose 18% of Call of Duties and Assassin's Creeds and other big games cut which will obviously outweigh all the bonus from getting new niche games on the platform. Revenue between the two can't be compared. I think that the only way when MS can get back to think about this decision once again is when their plan to change the way people access games will succeed, when everyone will just subscribe to GamePass and buying games will not be the mainstream way anymore. 

Ryuu96 said:

Guess Microsoft is dropping that silly limit on how many copies need to be produced for a physical release.

Such partnership is a must have these days anyway, as digital sales share keeps rising, more and more publishers will probably go with digital only releases, especially when it comes to smaller titles. If Microsoft still wants to keep the message that they are all about the options, they need LRG as someone who will handle the physical releases for such smaller games, otherwise Xbox might become not an option as a platform for physical collectors just like PC already is nowadays.

I think that if anything Microsoft could create a better scaling system where profits up until a certain point have less of a cut taken from them to help the smaller devs, but then big players like CoD will still have the typical cut taken because they'll always be bringing in more profit than that threshold.

With almost 100 FPS Boost titles, I think MS needs to include a new category for filtering games.

Just loaded up Shadow Warrior 2. Feels like a completely different game.
Yakuza 6 seems to have some problems. There are some heavy stutters when going inside and outside of buildings (basically whenever the minimap changes). Fighting outside wasn't problematic.

Around the Network

Yeah I saw the tweet by Major Nelson after I wrote my post. Still, it's only for Game Pass games.

No need to reinvent the wheel actually. Apple already did cut the App Store tax to 12% for games with revenue less than 1m $ if I'm not mistaken. Microsoft can just use the same approach but in case of consoles gaming not sure if revenue would be the best metric. I think copies sold would be better. Something like 12% for games with less than 100k sales

Ryuu96 said:

Why is he typing news with a z twice, That's got to be some sort of hint as I can't recall him typing stuff in slang like that before.

It means New Zealand. Forza Horizon in New Zealand!

Zzz = sleepy/sleeping

All the news is boring