By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Wasteland does not play like Fallout.
Also, BGS should have more than enough funds to expand and get support studios like Sumo Digital to help.
Zenimax Media made a deal with a hedge fund which wanted aggressive monetization and threw BGS out of whack.
I hope with XGS at the helm, Quake gets a proper attention now. Get John Carmack to reboot it like Doom.

Around the Network

Hey guys Im a PS main since PS1, thinking about buying an Xbox this generation.
I have a question about Series S. Do we have any statement saying that the only difference between Series X and Series S will be resolution? Or we will have also an impact on performance (60fps)?
I really dont care about 4K but performance is very important to me.
I know nothing about this shit but as far as I know 4K has slightly around 4x more pixels than 1080p, therefore in theory the drop from 12 teraflops (series X) to 4 teraflops (Series S) should not impact performance, the difference is that games would be running on 1080 60fps instead of 4k 60fps. Is that right?
Also since I do not have any x box games, buying a digital version would not impact BC for me.
Many thanks!

EnricoPallazzo said:
I have a question about Series S. Do we have any statement saying that the only difference between Series X and Series S will be resolution? Or we will have also an impact on performance (60fps)?
I know nothing about this shit but as far as I know 4K has slightly around 4x more pixels than 1080p, therefore in theory the drop from 12 teraflops (series X) to 4 teraflops (Series S) should not impact performance, the difference is that games would be running on 1080 60fps instead of 4k 60fps. Is that right?
Also since I do not have any x box games, buying a digital version would not impact BC for me.
Many thanks!

Resolution will certainly be different between Series S and X but framerates could change as well.

It all depends on what the game is targeting on Series X. On the other hand, I'm sure there will be plenty of modes to choose from.

A 4k 30FPS game on Series X will likely have a 1440p 60FPS mode and on Series S you will likely have a choice between 1440p 30FPS and 1080p 60FPS (along with some other minor reductions in shadow/lighting/texture quality.)

The only real problem would arise IF a game targets 1080p 30FPS (or 1080p 60FPS) on Series X. Then Series S would need to go below 900p in order to keep the 30FPS in the first example or 900p 30FPS in the second example. That's a very unlikely case though. Probably only if we get something as unoptimized as Ark on the platform.

Barozi said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
Many thanks!

Resolution will certainly be different between Series S and X but framerates could change as well.

It all depends on what the game is targeting on Series X. On the other hand, I'm sure there will be plenty of modes to choose from.

A 4k 30FPS game on Series X will likely have a 1440p 60FPS mode and on Series S you will likely have a choice between 1440p 30FPS and 1080p 60FPS (along with some other minor reductions in shadow/lighting/texture quality.)

The only real problem would arise IF a game targets 1080p 30FPS (or 1080p 60FPS) on Series X. Then Series S would need to go below 900p in order to keep the 30FPS in the first example or 900p 30FPS in the second example. That's a very unlikely case though. Probably only if we get something as unoptimized as Ark on the platform.

I remember all the talk through PS4 Pro and Xbox One X release about how MS/Sony said they would never let MP games that are 30 fps on the base console be 60fps on the upgraded models to give people who spend a premium an advantage, Does this still hold or did that soon get broken after the release of the X1X?

It's interesting because if that is still the philosophy of MS then if a game has a 120fps mode on the Series X for multiplayer then it would have to have a match on the Series S and same in that a 60fps MP game couldn't be cut down to 30fps on the Series S.

WoodenPints said:
Barozi said:

I remember all the talk through PS4 Pro and Xbox One X release about how MS/Sony said they would never let MP games that are 30 fps on the base console be 60fps on the upgraded models to give people who spend a premium an advantage, Does this still hold or did that soon get broken after the release of the X1X?

It's interesting because if that is still the philosophy of MS then if a game has a 120fps mode on the Series X for multiplayer then it would have to have a match on the Series S and same in that a 60fps MP game couldn't be cut down to 30fps on the Series S.

New Call of Duty has already confirmed 120fpa multiplayer for next gen consoles and that will have cross play. So I assume they dropped that policy as cross play became part of their ecosystem since PC players have had higher framerates than console players. 

Around the Network

https://youtu.be/CF9A935XFkU?t=480 - From 8 mins.

I was always wondered how the Series X|S would handle the 120fps mode. So even if you have a non HDMI 2.1 TV you can still have the mode run at 1080p down sampled from whatever resolution it hits over 1080p.

As a comparison between the two mode:

- Quality Mode Dynamic 4k/60fps with drops to as low as 1870p at the starting grid.

- 120Hz Mode Dynamic 1440p/120fps with drops to as low as 1080p at the starting grid, Reduced shadow quality and removal of crowds.

jason1637 said:
WoodenPints said:

New Call of Duty has already confirmed 120fpa multiplayer for next gen consoles and that will have cross play. So I assume they dropped that policy as cross play became part of their ecosystem since PC players have had higher framerates than console players. 

Isn't it the same with Gears 5?

Damn, looks better than other videos I've seen of it. Good to see it's hitting it's 4k60 or 1440/120 targets nearly all the time already a month before even the systems will be available and consumer ready.

Barozi said:
jason1637 said:

Isn't it the same with Gears 5?

Yeah Gears 5 also supports 120fps.

Barozi said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
Many thanks!

The power differences probably will be bigger, but we have to wait for first games and benchmarks.

For now we only have this: