By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Spade said:
Angelus said:
We went a whole generation without a new Elder Scrolls, don't be surprised if we go a generation without Fallout.

Least we got a Skyrim again  

For real though, Skyrim and GTA 5... used to have so much more faith in Rockstar (off topic ik), but it's pretty shameful how far they've fallen (not money wise obviously). 

Hopefully this gen we get ES 6, GTA 6, new IP from Rockstar (lol), SR 5. Shaping up to already be better than gen 8. 

Well we got Elder scrolls online and that card game and don't forget elder scrolls blades. The latter two are maybe small projects the first one is huge and they spend a lot of time on expansions and updates. 

Around the Network

After listening to some podcasts and thinking a bit more about the Bethesda acquisition I think Microsoft has a good shot at winning the next console generation, simply because Game Pass is/will be such an incredible offer.

Ryuu96 said:
Hmm, another support studio snatched up (Ruffian).

How long until Microsoft loses Certain Affinity, this industry is being consolidated fast.

Certain Affinity are developing two AAA games right now and opened up a new studio in Toronto, remember that Leyou owns 20% of CA with an option of buying out all remaining shares and if the deal goes through they will likely be owned by Tencent and the same goes for Splash Damage.

shikamaru317 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
Hey guys Im a PS main since PS1, thinking about buying an Xbox this generation.
I have a question about Series S. Do we have any statement saying that the only difference between Series X and Series S will be resolution? Or we will have also an impact on performance (60fps)?
I really dont care about 4K but performance is very important to me.
I know nothing about this shit but as far as I know 4K has slightly around 4x more pixels than 1080p, therefore in theory the drop from 12 teraflops (series X) to 4 teraflops (Series S) should not impact performance, the difference is that games would be running on 1080 60fps instead of 4k 60fps. Is that right?
Also since I do not have any x box games, buying a digital version would not impact BC for me.
Many thanks!

In theory at least, there should be no difference in framerates. MS asked developers to target native 4K 60 fps on Series X and native 1440p 60 fps or 1080p 60 fps on Series S (depending on their engine and how resolution scaling friendly it is). Series S has roughly 33% of the GPU power of Series X, while 1080p is 25% the resolution of 4K (meaning Series S has power to spare if devs aim for 1080p on Series S) and 1440p is roughly 44% the resolution of 4K (meaning that Series S is a bit light on power to be aiming for 1440p, at least on paper, though some engines scale better than others). 

Chances are, framerate will be the same on both consoles, with developers scaling down resolution and certain graphics settings (especially texture, world geometry, shadow, and character model quality due to having less RAM to fit those things onto) on Series S in order to achieve the same framerate on both platforms (at least as an option, with some devs possibly having both a graphics mode and a performance mode on Series S). We already know that Falconeer and Gears 5 have 120 FPS support on both Series S and Series X, so that is something at least. Though Dirt 5 has an optional 120 FPS mode on Series X that doesn't seem to be available as an option on Series S (which is 1440p 60 FPS on Series S, compared to 4K 60 FPS for the 4K mode on Series X). I imagine most multiplayer devs will aim for the same framerate on all Xbox consoles for balance reasons, so for instance Halo Infinite should be 60 FPS on all 4 platforms for multiplayer (XB1, XB1 X, XSS, XSX) with a different resolution target and different graphics settings on each platform to allow each to hit 60 FPS, while later multiplayer games once Xbox One support is dropped should be the same framerate on both Series S and Series X in most cases. Singleplayer games are more likely to have discrepancies I'd say.

Many thanks for the long answer, also thanks for others that posted about it.

I guess you are correct, developers will aim for the same framerate and change only resolution I guess. The only risk would be games that are so demanding that the standard would be 4k 30fps on Series X because when bringing it down to Series S (4 times less power) that would equate to 1080 30fps I guess.

MrWayne said:
After listening to some podcasts and thinking a bit more about the Bethesda acquisition I think Microsoft has a good shot at winning the next console generation, simply because Game Pass is/will be such an incredible offer.

They won't sell as many consoles as Sony. Europe especially because of FIFA and Sony's Champions League sponsoring alone will ensure that but that doesn't mean that MS can't be more successful with their gaming division if you look at Xbox as a whole with PC, Gamepass and cloud gaming. 

Around the Network

Press F to pay respects to my longest streak 😔 ended last night when I was too tired to play anything lol 

shikamaru317 said:

Insider says MS is close to finalizing a big acquisition deal. Says he thinks the announcement of this acquisition may be a "save the best for last" situation ahead of the launch of Series S and X, which would seem to imply that the acquisition is an even bigger deal than the Zenimax one. 

Spoiler!
MS about to buy Take-Two/2K or something aren't they? xD

Their source comes from the recent Xbox Era podcast, so the same guys that said that there were two more acquisitions and now are saying at least one confirmed. They say it around 28 mins in.

Soon aka in 3 weeks

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Another acquisition rumor... Hmm..

I wonder who it could be. Anyone know anything about this guy and track record?

It is a long shot but I am going to guess that Microsoft aquired Valve Corporation.

Proud to be a Californian.