Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Xbox Games Showcase Confirmed for July 23rd

Suggested Poll: 343 Aside, Which Studio Are You Most Looking Forward to Seeing at the July Event?

The Initiative 5 20.83%

Turn 10 1 4.17%

Playground Games 6 25.00%

Rare 2 8.33%

Obsidian Entertainment 6 25.00%

Ninja Theory 2 8.33%

Compulsion Games 2 8.33%

Double Fine 0 0.00%

Total:24

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by trunkswd **

OpenCritic Prediction - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

50 or Less 0 $0.00 0.00%

51 - 55 0 $0.00 0.00%

56 - 60 0 $0.00 0.00%

61 - 65 0 $0.00 0.00%

66 - 70 0 $0.00 0.00%

71 - 75 0 $0.00 0.00%

76 - 80 0 $0.00 0.00%

81 - 85 0 $0.00 0.00%

86 - 90 5 $969.00 35.71%

91 or Over 9 $2,621.72 64.29%

Totals: 14 $3,590.72  
Game closed: 03/08/2020
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Mojang may actually have more devs than the 463 listed on LinkedIn. The video mentions they have a Tokyo Japan and Shanghai China studio, but the "where do they live" section on Mojang's LinkedIn doesn't list a single developer who lives in Japan or China currently. Which means either that the Japan and China studios are brand new and have't really staffed up yet, or the people who currently work there don't have LinkedIn accounts.

I can't remember where I heard it so don't quote me on it but I swear I heard the number 700 thrown around once for Mojang's team size, which is crazy.

Makes me wonder how many employees XGS in total has.

Well, based on LinkedIn we have:

Studio Dev count
343 577 with no open jobs
The Coalition 150 with no open jobs
The Initiative 44 with 10 open jobs
Playground 227 with 91 open jobs
Turn 10 132 with 7 open jobs
Compulsion 52 with 7 open jobs
Double Fine  69 with 4 open jobs
Undead Labs 87 with no open jobs
inXile 98 with no open jobs
Obsidian 205 with 12 open jobs
Ninja Theory 121 with 13 open jobs
Rare 241 with 12 open jobs
Mojang 463 with 6 open jobs
World's Edge, Xbox Global Publishing, Global Localization and Marketing teams Unknown, all that stuff is lumped in together under one giant Microsoft Umbrella, 179,000+ employees in total 

Those add up to 2,466 devs, plus we have the unknown number of World's Edge and Xbox Global Publishing employees, and of course Microsoft's various Xbox localization and marketing teams around the globe, so we're definitely over 3,000 all told, by how much is the question. Also we have to take into account that LinkedIn obviously only includes devs who have LinkedIn accounts, it's a safe bet that most of these studios are bigger than they appear on LinkedIn, especially The Coalition, there is no way that 150 devs managed to release Gears 5 in 3 years, while also having small teams assisting 2nd party studios on Gears Tactics and Gears Pop, and rumors of a large team that has been assisting The Initiative on the multiplayer for their game as well. Pretty sure that Coalition officially had 200 devs in 2015, no way they are smaller now than they were then.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 17 May 2020

Around the Network

Yeah, no way Coalition is 150, I think they'd be around 300 now.

Last number for XGP was ~90, I don't have a clue about World's Edge.

Ryuu96 said:

"New Game 1"

"New Game 2"

Sneaky.

Hmmm 2 new games. I wonder if they will be "smaller" like Minecraft or if they will develop a full blown AAA game.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

"New Game 1"

"New Game 2"

Sneaky.

Hmmm 2 new games. I wonder if they will be "smaller" like Minecraft or if they will develop a full blown AAA game.

I would love it if the Tokyo Japan team they mentioned was working on a new Japan centric IP, even if it was a smaller project. 

shikamaru317 said:
trunkswd said:

I would love it if the Tokyo Japan team they mentioned was working on a new Japan centric IP, even if it was a smaller project. 

I have a feeling all the Mojang teams will be working together on the new games, even if one team takes lead. Microsoft will need to be able to get a consistent schedule of Japan centric games to have any chance of selling half-decent numbers in Japan. I feel like Microsoft has a bigger chance of growing their presence in Europe. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Mojang renamed to Mojang.

jason1637 said:
Mojang renamed to Mojang.

Technically renamed from Mojang AB to Mojang Studios. Never did figure out what the AB stood for. 

Edit: Apparently AB is short for the Swedish word Aktiebolag, so their name before translated to Gadget Limited in English. So their name was changed from Mojang Limited to Mojang Studios. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 17 May 2020

Let's be real, they just felt their emails to the bosses about their name being Mojang, not Minecraft, were being ignored, so they decided they had to go drastic, by pretending to change their name.

Ryuu96 said:

What one are you most interested in?

The Medium, Project Mara and Scorn in that order.

EspadaGrim said:
Ryuu96 said:

What one are you most interested in?

The Medium, Project Mara and Scorn in that order.

Same. Scorn looked kind of weird to me, but The Medium looked fantastic and the music from the Silent Hill guy was great. As for Project Mara, I have high hopes for it since it will be an Unreal engine Ninja Theory game releasing most likely after the cross-gen period ends in 2021, so it should look absolutely gorgeous as an Xbox Series/PC exclusive, probably the best looking horror game ever graphically speaking. And Ninja Theory has been working closely with a Cambridge University Psychiatrist and conducting interviews with real life psychosis sufferers in order to depict psychosis as accurately as possible in Project Mara and the other horror games coming in Ninja Theory's Insight Project.