By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

That's Microsofts issue for laying off half the studio every 18 months lol.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

Return for Monkey Island released on GP yesterday, anybody playing?

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Ryuu96 said:

Would be hilarious if Microsoft just paid for CoD to launch day one into Game Pass if the deal falls through.

Though it'd cost a fuckton, I'd guess near $1bn just for a month in Game Pass.

Would have to be after the current market deal is up, MS said recently that Sony includes language in their marketing deals preventing games from launching into GamePass for “years” after launch. 

VersusEvil said:

Return for Monkey Island released on GP yesterday, anybody playing?

Yeah I have the flu so needed something relaxing to play. I love the franchise so was going to play it for sure. 

Anyway I love what they did with the game , it plays fluent, it is very user friendly (has a hint book that exactly will tell you what you have to do if you don't know what to do), it is even a bit emotional to return to Monkey island and see what happened after 30 years on the island. 

I'm on the last boss fight in Tunic and it's a pain. I wish the game would slow down time when switching items. Other than that, I've really enjoyed the game.

Around the Network

So they removed one of the maps in halo infinite because of a bug....Still havn't played one of the new maps + I am still in season 2.001

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

-Snip-

Unreal engine is not flexible enough, struggles with open world games and does not have the engine for vehicles like COD engine does.  Unreal just not a good engine for what Halo does best, that is why they would not go to it.  COD engine on the other hand is in house made, perfect for what Halo does and only really missing forge capabilities.  The fact that their are multiple studios that are highly talented and competent on the engine allows 343 to shore up one of their biggest weakness which is outsource studios ramping up on slipspace.

ABK also helps with the manpower issue and as we have seen ramping up more experience developers is not as easy as it sounds.  COD going to a 2 year release also helps where certain personnel will be available for assistance.  

The thing is engine developers are not always engage full time, and this will allow MS to use all their new studios from ABK to fix 343 biggest issue which is ramping up to a size that can consistently churn out content.

I wouldn't say CoD engine is perfect for what Halo does, for starters, missing the Forge capabilities is a really big deal and even besides that, admittedly the last CoD I played was Black Ops II, but I'm confident that CoD does not have anywhere near the same physics as Halo does, CoD is a more realistic and stiffer shooter in not only the player movement but vehicular movement too, Halo's physics are way more out there than CoDs in every aspect.

They're exaggerated but Mint Blitz videos do a good job at showing how crazy Halo's physics are and that is even with Halo Infinite's physics being downgraded which many weren't happy with. It'd require a significant amount of time and energy to repurpose the CoD engine for Halo. No engine is perfect either, as I mentioned, Warzone had significant issues all throughout its life, a very buggy and broken game from what I read across the years.

Also, CoD used different engines until recently.

There also isn't no way that Microsoft (or Activision, especially since they'll work similar to Zenimax where they're separate from XGS) is going to move manpower from CoD to Halo either. If Microsoft was reluctant to put extra manpower on Halo even when Halo was all they had, they sure as hell won't take it from CoD which destroys Halo in sales and players, Lol.

CoD still needs thousands of developers even on a 2-year schedule. And apparently '2023' is a significant campaign expansion and multiplayer expansion for MW2 so they'll be busy with that too, I think the 2-year release schedule will be filled in by a major expansion between the years.

They need to expand 343's team, not take away from other teams, Certain Affinity and SkyBox Labs have the expertise for Slipspace but they need to be brought onboard on a permanent basis Imo as a 343-support studio, they should have their own Slipspace engine leads, they should be acquired and expanded but unfortunately they only work on two (very large parts) of Halo (Battle Royale and Forge) which at this point are almost becoming games in their own right.

If 343 has a manpower issue which all signs point towards, they should open a second 343 studio elsewhere, in an area of fresh talent pool, it doesn't have to be a full-blown AAA studio working on their own projects but just a satellite studio with extra support for 343.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 November 2022

Huge post and it looks like he brought receipts on a brief skim through, this will be interesting reading.

Ryuu96 said:

Huge post and it looks like he brought receipts on a brief skim through, this will be interesting reading.

Hats off to him not taking the buyout.

I'm only part way through but damn ID Software, specifically Marty Stratton, are not looking good in this. Mick is bringing all the receipts; it has definitely had a lawyer look over it.

Smfh.

I feel almost like Xbox should get involved and do something for Mick, I swear if Bethesda sues him for this or something which isn't outside the realm of possibilities from the same company who sued Mojang for using "Scrolls"